Anchor Bay and Fox together again!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Anchor Bay and Fox are getting back together for another co-distribution deal!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7616

"In an early retail announcement, it appears that Anchor Bay Home Entertainment will be distributing a number of Twentieth Century Fox catalog titles on Blu-ray. The preliminary release list includes such diverse titles as:

The Terrorists (1974)
    Project X (1987)
    License To Drive (1988)
    Dutch (1991)
    Grand Canyon (1991)
    Bad Girls (1994)
    The Scout (1994)
    Drive Me Crazy (1999)
    Monkeybone (2001)
    No technical or supplementary details have been revealed for any of these Blu-rays.

According to Amazon, Project X, License To Drive, Dutch, Bad Girls, and Drive Me Crazy are expected to street on January 17, 2012, while The Terrorists, Grand Canyon, The Scout, and Monkeybone have a rumored street date of January 31st, 2012."

Now bring on The Ewok Adventures and Freaked!

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'd love blu-rays of Mischief and Freaked! Though I already own the DVDs, so not a high priority.

3. jcannon

jcannon Member

C'mon Cemetery Man!

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

The Entity and Warning Sign heck bring on Terror Train through fox/anchor bay

5. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Who at Anchor Bay do I write to to get "Scavenger Hunt" (1979) released? I've been waiting in vain for Fox to release this. I'd even be happy with a MOD version. Anchor Bay would be the perfect label to give it an official release.

6. CPT HOOK

Shout Factory is currently working on a blu-ray of this, due out the first half of 2012.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

"Grand Canyon" is bought day one. Can Anchor Bay take a crack at the Star Wars films? ;)

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol: really? my (distant) memory of that film is one of interminable boredom. it will always be in my mind as one of those movies my parents rented and i had the misfortune of sitting through. that, and fried green tomatoes. mostly 90's movies about middle-aged angst.

9. Nailwraps

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Now, now. Grand Canyon is a fine film.

11. mlock

mlock Member

The Entity indeed! Man I'm kicking myself for selling my DVD back in the day. A great film with a solid transfer and the awesome doc :The Entity Files. :D
    Am curious to see what Shout Factory does with the Terror Train blu. Features?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  12. EditedByBaxter

EditedByBaxter New Member

Sweet! Had no idea... I'd just finally gotten around to picking up the Fox DVD a few months back.

13. CPT HOOK

Looks like Mischief is back in stock at Amazon and Best Buy. It was out of print.

I'm assuming it was part of this deal, and now it is back in circulation? If this is the case, then they had better do a blu-ray. This movie is way better than the rest of the movies in that line-up.

14. jsun322

jsun322 New Member

I thought I was the only person in the world who liked this movie or, for that matter, even knew it existed! I agree, Anchor Bay would do a fine job with this one.

Have you tried emailing them?
    http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/About.aspx?page=contact&area=contactus

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Anchor Bay is doing a really, really shitty job with these.

First, they leave off half the extras on License to Drive.

Now, The Terrorists is lacking even the theatrical trailer the old DVD had. Actually, the Blu-ray doesn't even have a menu of any kind at all. The transfer isn't too grand either. Anchor Bay completely shit on this release.

The Truth About Cats & Dogs, well...it has a shitty transfer. It looks about equal to a DVD upconvert.

When they want to do something right, they can. And when they want to screw things up, they do.

16. CPT HOOK

I bought Drive Me Crazy. No extras and it pretty much looked like a DVD. Nothing really popped out. It did have a menu though, for what it's worth.

But it was only $5, and I didn't own it before so I wasn't upgrading from anything.

17. Nailwraps

I don't get it why Anchor Bay couldn't port the extras (music video/trailers/tv spots) for their own release? I mean, since they have the partnership with Fox, they can't ask them to give them previous DVD extras? :/

Then again, some of the extras from Joe Somebody Fox DVD were ported over for Anchor Bay's DVD/Blu release of the film.

18. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

They really have been shitty releases so far--just lazy and barely doing the minimum. I was really hoping for some exciting stuff with this partnership, but it's mostly a bunch of crappy romcoms. AB's website shows some of the other Fox titles they've acquired, and most of them wouldn't be worth bringing to blu (or, they wouldn't excite me). Why can't AB be a bit like they were in their glorious past? The Driver (1978), The Fury (1978), Tattoo (1981), I, the Jury (1982), The Entity (1982), Enemy Mine (1985), Alien Nation (1988)--any of these titles would be most welcome. Shit, I'd be happy with The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. :)

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed. I'm glad Terror Train is with Shout Factory for instance. Hopefully they'll get The Entity too at some point. Anchor Bay did a good DVD of The Entity years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if they ever did release it to Blu-ray they'd just do another subpar release like License to Drive.

20. Nailwraps

I e-mailed Anchor Bya regarding why previous extras are being left out on their Fox releases. Waiting for a response as we speak.