Anchor Bay Drive In

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Sep 29, 2003.

1. The Joker

The Joker Guest

wassup all

over the weekend, I picked up 2 of the new Anchor Bay drive in double feature dvds. The ones I got are:

Fade to Black/Hell Night
    The Initiation/Mountaintop Motel Massacre

The funny thing is, I'd never seen any of these 4 movies. I bought the FTB/HN disc for Hell Night, and wound up liking Fade to Black a lot better. Hell Night just seemed so stupid to me, of course u can't expect too much with cheese, but still, the male pledges in the house reminded me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, lol, they were like these blond "cowabunga dudddeeee" types. Fade to Black, as I said, I liked much better. This was kinda 80s cheese also, but I really liked the concept of the movie, and that was one disturbed kid! I haven't really watched TI/MMM disc yet, can anyone tell me whats in store?? Thanx!!

The Joker

2. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I got Possession/Shock on Friday. I was looking forward most to Shock since I'm a huge Mario Bava/Daria Nicolodi/John Steiner fan. It was okay but not spectacular.
    Possession, however, is a film which lingers with you a long time. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but it had amazing acting, camera work, and twists to it.
    BTW, does anyone else find the covers to these 2-fers to be rather cheesy? I like the MGM Midnight Movies covers a lot better.

3. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

I picked up Society/Spontaneous Combustion. I mostly bought it for Society (it was actually cheaper than the single disc Society). Society was great, great commentary, still one of the few movies that can make me actually want to vomit (in a good way), Spontaneous Combustion....not so good

I also picked up Troll/Troll II and The Waxwork/Waxwork II double feature.

MGM is still the kings of the double feature discs.

4. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I have 3 of these.

MOUNTAINTOP MOTEL MASSACRE/THE INITIATION

FADE TO BLACK/HELL NIGHT

CIRCUS OF HORRORS/THEATRE OF DEATH.

I'v watched the first two, but not the latter. I think I mentioned previously in another post that I really did not like MTMM...and that was the reason I bought this (having THE INITIATION) already. I found MTMM to be badly paced and really dull. THE INITIATION, however, is one of my favorite 80s slashers.

I thought FADE TO BLACK had some really brilliant moments. The girl who played "Marilyn" looked creepily like MM. The character's slow descent into madness was compelling (even if the executions weren't always). I recommend this one without hesitation..though I found it difficult to really classify it fully as a "horror" movie. I've waxed HELL NIGHT to death, so I won't bother to day anything more.

I actually think the covers for these are neat. They actually remind me of the marquee of one of the awful drive-ins that used to show these movies back in the day...very run down. I would have liked to see the complete original poster art on the cover of some of these, however.

5. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I didn't like Mountaintop Motel Massacre either. For pretty much the same reason...very dull. I was hoping to get something in the vein of Blood Diner or Motel Hell, but it wasn't even close. But oh well, that's what renting movies is for.

6. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I picked up Hell Night/Fade to Black and Hell of the Living Dead/Rats. I've seen all of them except for Fade to Black, and now I am looking forward to it. I read the desription and it sounded kinda cool. HellOTLD is a fun Italian zombie flick, and you gotta love the re-use of the DawnOTD Goblin soundtrack. I liked Hell Night, had some good genuine scares. Rats was laughable, but worth the watch. Throwing painted ginea pigs has never been this scary before.

7. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I was bored outta my skull with Moutaintop Motel Massacre. There was some creepy atmosphere to spare, but where's the friggin' massacre?:D The Initiation still held up after all these years. It was funny to hear the Children of the Corn music in the trailer.

8. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Wouldn't "Hell Night" and "The Initiation" made a better double feature than the configurations they used?

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm really interested in Posession So I'm probably going to pick that one up. I'll most definitely pick up Mountain of the Cannibal God/ Cannibal Man and Fade To Black/ Hell Night.

10. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I was thinking the SAME thing. I think that they probably grouped these by production company. HELL NIGHT and FADE TO BLACK were both produced by Irwin Yablans. Might have been a licensing stipulation. HELL NIGHT would have been MUCH better coupled with THE INITIATION.

11. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Picked up the Possession/Shock double feature last night and of course, came directly home to watch them.

I threw in Shock first, my first Mario Bava experience, and was absolutely delighted. That kid was a little obnoxious, but that's kinda the norm with children. 10/10 for my first viewing. Definitely worth the $13 for the disc in just this one movie.

I had no expectations for Possession whatsoever and was once again delivered a wonderful film. Sam Neil delivers an exceptional performance (his best IMO) and the cinematography and lighting are also noteworthy. This movie was played out so dramatically that
    the 3 minute long scene with the chick being possessed and stumbling around
    just seems really out of place as it is extremely laughable. However, this scene alone is also worth the $13 price tag set to this double-feature. 9/10, probably a 9.5 had the aforementioned scene been cut down.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

If you got the time, make sure to check out Andrzej Zulawski's audio commentary. He has a few interesting tales to tell about Possession, and especially about Isabelle Adjani - who - and there's no doubt about it - gave it all (won the best Actress award for her performance in Possession at the Cannes Film Festival 1981) and almost commited suicide after filming ...

13. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Damn, I'll have to do that. That's the other awesome thing about this release. How many two for one's actually come with special features. Another amazing job done by Anchor Bay, albeit a little late in my acknowledgement!