Anchor Bay UK SCANNERS/BROOD discs...

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by swr2777, Jul 20, 2005.

1. swr2777

swr2777 New Member

I know I'm probably going to get attacked for this, and I sincerely hate to burst everyone's bubble. I, too, was very excited about the Anchor Bay UK releases of THE BROOD and SCANNERS. Given Anchor Bay's almost impeccable reputation for providing quality presentations, I was sure these would be wise purchases even for those that already had the Region 1 releases from MGM.

Alas, my copies just arrived today, and I'm sorry to report that the quality of both discs is utterly disappointing. Both films feature transfers that are extremely yellow and washed out. Yet, in both cases, this is overcompensated for by the severely high contrast of the transfers therein. Both are also excessively soft and hazy, almost giving Mark Irwin's skillful cinematography in both an unintentional look of "diffusion" that certainly doesn't fit Cronenberg's vision in either.

SCANNERS is acceptable, and most folks probably wouldn't complain about this if MGM hadn't already released a surprisingly fresh, crisp looking transfer on their own bare-bones disc. Still, Anchor Bay's is noticably inferior and very disappointing. The featurette by critic Alan Jones, while interesting, is only about 8 min. long and doesn't really tell us too much more than we knew previously.

The quality of THE BROOD is especially appalling. Again, yellow, washed out, overly soft, inappropriately bright. And what's worse...particularly on the uncut version, there is clearly a severe PAL/NTSC conversion effect visible here that's not necessarily so on the SCANNERS disc. The whole presentation of the uncut version smears and blurs with any movement or action of either the actors or the camera. Just awful, especially for Cronenberg's first admittedly "good looking" movie. Especially ironic is the fact that the transfer on the cut UK version actually looks better than that of the uncut version...but who wants that?

Sorry to have disappointed anyone here who was looking forward to these discs like I was. But, to be honest...aside from the novelty value of both versions of THE BROOD, the Cronenberg/Directors documentary on both, and small featurette on SCANNERS...I would strongly recommend people stick to their bare-bones and more economically priced MGM discs, both of which featured far superior transfers.

These two fine Cronenberg films deserved much better than this, especially from Anchor Bay.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  2. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Disappointing. I've always wanted to give both of these another viewing.

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

thanks a million for the tip
    money saved is money earned

4. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Question... Is the uncut UK version of The Brood the same as the US release? Or is there more in addition to what was cut specifically for the UK release?

I think I may just pick up the MGM discs as their image qualities seem to be superior.

5. swr2777

swr2777 New Member

Good question, Mattster. I personally didn't watch both cuts on the AB UK discs in their entirety yet, but I did check the scenes that were subject to cuts. From what I can see...yes, what is referred to as the "uncut" version on this AB UK disc is the same version on the region 1 MGM disc.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Actually, this is the first complaint I've seen about this release. I guess reviews will start trickling out now, I'm withholding judgment until I read more.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'm just going to stick with my R1s of both. No point in a double-dip until we get some sincerely special Special Editions.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

Here are some comparable screen caps from the R1 MGM release and the R2 ABUK release (MGM first screen cap, ABUK second screen cap).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  9. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

And two more...

Attached Files:

10. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

Nevermind.

I'm a retard.

I thought you said that it had a Cronenberg commentary, not the documentary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I purchased the Scanners Box Set that came out Monday from Anchor Bay UK, which was shipped Wednesday. Concerning The Brood, I will just stick with my R1 dvd, for now. Both movies I saw when they were originally theatrically released.

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

Got my copy of ABUK's The Brood today, and that sure was a waste of money.

The UK cut version is on one disc, with a running time of 87:47 min, with a choice between DD 2.0 Stereo, DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio tracks. The quality of the UK version is pretty good, but this doesn't really matter since it's of absolutely no value to me since it's cut.

The US version is on disc 2, with a running time of 92:07 min, a clear indication of an NTSC-to-PAL conversion (and it shows, too). It ONLY has a DD 2.0 track (don't know if it's mono or stereo) and the picture quality is TERRIBLE.

Included are two screen caps from the credits to show the MAJOR difference between the picture quality of the 2 versions. The first screen cap is from the cut UK version, the second from the uncut US version included in the 2-disc set.

Attached Files:

13. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

Here are some more comparisons of the 2 included versions of The Brood. 1st pic is cut version, 2nd pic is uncut version. The color difference in the second pair of screen caps is HUGE! :eek:

Attached Files:

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

My eyes hurt. Glad I have my uncut french DVD of BROOD!

15. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

The French DVD is cut... I own the French, the UK, the Norwegian and the US releases, and only the US release (and the bad quality version on the UK release) is uncut.

16. The Chaostar

Really???? Please inform me on the cut bits!

17. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

18. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

So my guess is the Dutch DVD's for Scanners are the best yet?
    Here's some screenshots from Scanners:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scanners 2:

[​IMG]

Scanners 3:

[​IMG]

19. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Oh thanks to DVD.nl for the screenshots!

20. The Chaostar

These are serious cuts indeed! I better switch to the R1 version!