Anchorman Unrated DVD--beware!

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Workshed, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I really enjoyed this film when it arrived in theaters this summer, so when I received the unrated dvd for the holidays, I was pretty happy. Then I watched it.

This uncut version is not as funny as the orginal. If you can find the original on dvd, resist the urge to go with the unrated version.

Here are a few of the "new, uncut" scenes:

At the inital party, when Burgundy meets Corningstone, he inserts one more quick joke when he tries to woo her. This joke is a throw-away and actually slows the scene down.

When Burgundy is being carried away by the police, he shouts, "I would never say 'fuck,' never! Fuck FUCK FUCK!"

Burgundy goes back to the bar where he played the jazz flute, only to be told that he will be served if he eats cat poo. He eats the cat poo.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the few I noticed right away and made me cringe. These scene were cut for a reason--not very funny. Their addition only slows the film down and hurts whatever scene follows them.

What's worse is that Brick's "I ate a big red candle" line has been cut out! Gone. Also missing are a few lines Burgundy whispered into the phone while at the bar.

Too bad. Honestly, if you liked the film, I would suggest going with the theatrical version. And if you can find it in widescreen, let me know.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Spoiler tags would be nice.

3. Workshed

Uh, for what?

I even gave a "here a few of the new uncut scenes" intro. Geez.

No plot lines, if there are any in this film, were given away, therefore, no SPOILER tags were used

4. Faceman

Faceman Guest

And is replaced with a funnier line.

5. Workshed

Faceman, did you like the unrated better than the original? I'm trying to convince myself that buying the original on dvd is unnecessary.

6. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    With spoiler tags, what was the line replaced with?

(I'm leaning towards the theatrical version now, thanks)

7. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

i liked the unrated version just as much if not more than the theatrical one, and I thought the cat poop scene was hilarious.

8. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i liked the unrated one more than the theatrical one.

9. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

This movie had it's moments (AQUALUNG!!!) but I don't know if I'd ever watch it enough times to merit a purchase. It must be said that from the trailer, I thought this was going to be the funniest movie of all time, so maybe I was slightly disappointed because it didn't live up to my incredibly high expectations...

By the way, oh, (semi-SPOILER) I remember watching the trailer and there was a scene where Ron Burgundy takes a bullet for Christina Applegate's character. Is this scene reinserted into the unrated edition, as I remember this being incredibly funny in the trailer.

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I don't recall that scene in the movie (I've only seen the unrated release), but then again I don't remember the trailer either.

11. What about the scene where he gets hit in the face with the filing cabinet? I saw it in commercials but don't remember having seen it in the theatre.

12. Caesar

Caesar Guest

The filing cabinet scene is in the deleted scene section.

I like the cat poop scene and found it hilarious the way Tino felt the need to punish Ron for the way he spoke toward San Diego.

13. Bleck

Bleck Guest

I hated this movie. I was very disappointed!

14. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

thats in the "wake up, Ron Burgundy" movie which is the bonus movie in the limited edition Anchorman dvd, it another whole Anchorman movie 1h 32mins runtime