And my first blu-ray disc is...

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, Oct 19, 2010.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

TROLL 2!!!

Got it for free just last night! Of course, I still don't own a player so it'll stay on the shelf for a while longer. Fortunately, it has the DVD so I can enjoy this classic craptacular pronto. :)

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

You can a BR player pretty darn cheap now. Or is it just out of your budget at the moment?

3. maybrick

It is out of my budget at the moment, actually, but I'm pretty set on sticking it out with standard DVD until my current player craps out anyways. New releases that I want are few and far between and are either unlikely to make it to HD any time soon (like my most recent purchase, NIGHT OF DEATH) or are DVD/blu combos like VAMPIRE CIRCUS. I'll be aiming for a good multi region blu ray player when the time comes and those cost significantly higher. It's not all different than when I switched from VHS to DVD, honestly. I owned about 25 DVDs before I spent $200 on my first player about eleven years ago.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah I need a region free blu ray player also. I just don't have $500++ to shell out for one at the moment. There is some amazing blu rays release all over the world. Plus for example like in Germany they got allot of movies I want.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Craps out? How often do DVD players fail? My Samsung that I bought in early 1999 still works and so does the Sony 5-disc I bought a few years later.

It sure is weird seeing film fans that are dedicated enough to post on movie forums not embrace their hobby's superior format.

6. maybrick

I've been collecting for 11 years and I'm on my third player. The first one was an RCA and the second two have been Philips. Philips aren't all that durable in my experience so I don't expect it to last more than a few years more. It already has some quirkiness going on about it.

And it's about as weird to see film fans like me as it is for me to come across elitist snobs. It's about the movie, crikan, not the format. If you're going to take that attitude, then the superior format is film but I don't think you'll see all too many of us around here making regularly scheduled trips to the cineplex anymore.

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

get the PS3 when you can afford it. I bought one two weeks ago...best purchase I've made since my HD-TV.

8. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

My first Blu-Ray disc is purchased was Evil Dead, the Limited Edition, 2-Disc, even though I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet, myself, but I knew that this was going to be limited, and it will be sometime before I buy a Blu-Ray player.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I LOVE Blu-Ray, but the way some shoves the format upon others like it´s a life or death thing is really annoying.

Some people might not have a screen big enough to gain anything from it at the moment. Plus some people just don´t care about getting a higher res picture than DVD, they are enjoying the movie no matter what.

If they are satisfied with DVD, then fine, DVD isn´t going to die anytime soon either.

I was a huge collector of Laserdiscs back in the day, but I didn´t throw dirt at my friends that "only" had a VHS player, telling them they are idiots for not upgrading to the supreme format ;)

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I've had 3 Philips players crap out on me in the past 5 years. Just have bad luck with these things I guess...

However we do have a Samsung from like 2001 and it's still going strong.

~Matt

11. maybrick

Yeah, Philips are cheap so I guess we got what we paid for :lol:

I understand the advantages of having a PS3, but what it's really missing is the ability to play multi region (or at least multi region DVD). Since I'm not a huge gamer either it makes it a no-sale. The other thing that bothers me is the amount of stories that are beginning to crop up about PS3s breaking because of firmware upgrades and customer service reps doing jack all about it other than try to sweep the issue under the rug.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

May want to research this Blu-ray and DVD player that you can enter codes to make region-free: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQ51VK...veASIN=B002AQ51VK&creative=373489&camp=211189

It's extremely cheap, and linked from DVDBeaver.ca / Blubeaver.ca
    I have a PS3 currently, but I'm thinking I might go region free as well soon, and I've been reading reviews on it and it seems to be pretty good.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Crikan, stop bullying maybrick (and anyone else) about not having a Blu-Ray player.

Seriously, stop it. We're in the midst of the worst economic situation of our lifetimes, unemployment is high and nobody knows what's going to happen next with the banks and the money supply and what kind of government we'll even have after the midterm elections. Nobody needs to be shamed because they are uncomfortable dropping a few hundred dollars on a non-essential purchase. Choosing to "not embrace their hobby's superior format" is the smart move when you have worries about putting food on the table and such. I know plenty of people who are of the mindset that they will upgrade to Blu-Ray when their current DVD players go. In fact, I am one of them (although I know for a fact now that my girlfriend is getting me a player for Christmas). Nobody is stubbornly clinging to the mindset that they're going to stay with DVD for the rest of their lives. Attacking people because they don't have one yet is like attacking kids on the playground because they don't have the latest basketball shoes.

14. maybrick

Thanks MorallySound for the tip (and Jeremy for having my back). Yeah, at this time of year I'm more concerned in paying for heat this winter and Christmas gifts, and putting my son through preschool on a paycheck that hasn't been increased in almost 4 years. A new blu-ray player will come, but only when it's absolutely necessary.

Nobody has anything to say about Troll 2, though? For shame! :lol:

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Troll BD is on it´s way, and this will be the first time EVER that I get to experience the movie since I stayed away from it when even my most rabid fellow B movie friend warned me about it.
    But after seeing the trailer and clips, I just KNOW I will fall in love with it no matter HOW bad it is :D

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Jeremy, you and maybrick are overreacting...big time. I was not bullying or attacking. Many of the people claiming they haven't moved to BD come off like it's a badge of honor. I think it's obnoxious. BD has been around a long time and its been more than a year since sub $100 BD players became available. The explanation that "I can't afford it" is losing validity. I figure if you post on a message board dedicated to movies than you are a dedicated fan. I do find it strange that some dedicated movie fans place a self-imposed limitation on quality of their experience. If there is someone on this forum that truly can't afford BD and was offended by my statement, then I do sincerely apologize. I did not intend to come off like a elitist jack***. IMO, it's the anti-BD crowd that sounds like know-it-all jack***es. And there is no shortage of them at the moment.

And I want to make it clear that IMO the one sentence I typed did not deserve the response it got. Maybrick, you projected what you wanted onto it so you could start a fight. I believe we've danced before.

17. maybrick

Uh..... yeah. It's funny how I post a thread to show my excitement for getting my first blu-ray disc and you somehow misinterpret it as being "anti-BD", and I'M the one that's overreacting here? :eek2:

Get real. Now how about you go take a shit on somebody else's thread for a change?

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Sorry, In the future I'll try to remember how overly sensitive you can be. :nervous:

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Being a fan of films has absolutely nothing to do with what type of system you own. It's just more important for some people (myself included) but just because someone has a bluray player doesn't mean they love film anymore than someone who only has a DVD player.

One of my film professors LOVES film, so much so that she's dedicated her life and career to it. You think she owns a bluray player? Fuck no. But i will bet you a million dollars that she loves films more than about 90% of the people on this board. She always smiles and shakes her head at me whenever I tell her that I bought another movie on bluray.

Sure bluray players have become less than $100, but some people want a GOOD bluray player and those are still pretty fucking expensive.

~Matt

20. maybrick

Quoted for truth. :)