And my first blu-ray disc is...

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, Oct 19, 2010.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

By "limited" they didn't mean to 30,000 copies did they? :lol:

But seriously, great choice on a first blu-ray. ;)

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Of course I overreacted. I did that deliberately. It's not personal against you, and the reason I did it is only marginally about the Blu-Ray vs. DVD fight. I did it because in our country nowadays there is a terrible lack of empathy for those who are having problems making ends meet, those who have lost jobs, those who have kids they need to take care of. And trying to shame people, to bully them, to manipulate them into making purchases they don't need and might not be able to afford, whether it be a Blu-Ray player or a new house, is something that got us into this mess and it's something that sickens me to hear. It is a form of bullying. And it demands a strong response wherever it is encountered - so yes, you're right, your one sentence was not much compared to the smackdown I wrote, but this is the kind of thing that needs to be stopped and stopped immediately, not just here, but in society at large.

You've got the things you value. You value being able to watch as many of your movies as possible on Blu-Ray. Nothing wrong with that, clearly you can afford it easily enough. That doesn't mean it's the right thing for everybody. Maybrick values his kids and his home. I think a lot of people wouldn't fault him that. I don't know what his financial condition is, but a lot of people have trouble justifying even an $80-$100 splurge the way things are right now.

Totally true. There is that obnoxious element on many of the message boards, and I certainly won't fault you for being annoyed with them. But what does that have to do with Maybrick's post, or anyone else's post so far in this discussion? I just re-read all of Maybrick's comments, none of what he wrote or what anyone else wrote even closely resembles the anti-BD sentiments that irk you. He would not be here bragging about getting his first BD if he had that mentality. Clearly he wants to upgrade, and no doubt he will when he's comfortable with it.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Seriously Jeremy, I don't want to come off as an elitist jerk here. I'm not trying to bully anyone or tell them how to spend their money. I'm not that guy.

So I poo-poo'd maybrick's big BD celebration because I misinterpreted his intent? Look at it again. He's so excited to have a BD that he plans on waiting, for what in my experience is many years (10+), before he buys a player to go with it. Ya, he's a big BD fan alright. How did I not see it before? /sarcasm.

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Is anyone else thrown off my maybrick's new avatar? that's what I blame for the way this thread has turned.

In other news, I have yet to make the BD leap. I thought I was going to buy a PS3 not too long ago, but my car needs a fix before an entertainment upgrade.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

:lol: I was just gonna ask what was up with that.

Get that PS3 - stop fooling around.

My first BD's all at once were the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

6. Workshed

Stop pressuring meeeeeeeeeeeeee! :fuck::fuck::fuck:

:D

7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. I picked up the Dark Knight Blu because I wanted the bat-cycle tchotchke nearly a year before I had a player. Now who loves movies more than that?

8. maybrick

That, my friend, is a picture my then 6 year old daughter drew of me in school. Supposedly I was freaking out over a weird face she was making. More likely it was because she was being rude and defiant as all kids get from time to time. I think it's hysterical.

But Crikan is right. Troll 2 is the first and absolute LAST blu-ray disc I'll ever own, because the whole format is a joke. I'm going to keep it up on the mantle and when I'm up late at night and good and drunk I'm going to dress up as Little Lord Fauntleroy and mock and shout rude things at it. I'll never give in. I'M GOING TO BE STANDARD FUCKING DEF UNTIL THE DAY I FUCKING DIE!

9. maybrick

:lol: :lol:

I'd do one of those rolling lol thingies but I don't know how.

10. Workshed

well, now it's the best avatar.

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

AH HA! I knew it! :p

I'm going to be AFK for awhile. I have an orphanage to close and I need to get my butler to throw more $20's on the fire. It's cold in here...with my heart being made of coal and all.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

:lol: All the cool kids are doing it, cmon man.

That's great - hahahaha.

13. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

About ~$180 for a Panasonic DMP-BD85. This is about as good as it gets short of the Oppo BDP-83 (& upcoming BDP-93) and most consider it a great player for a videophile on a budget.
    Most Blu-Ray players are essentially the same for BD video. However, some have better analog audio sections than others (though if you are outputting bitstream via HDMI or optical/coax then that doesn't really matter), some are somewhat speedier than others (none of the current models are particularly slow like in days passed) and there are sizeable differences in DVD upscaling quality.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm gonna tell a story that people like Maybrick can relate to.

I was very reluctant to get into CD way back in the day. I was (and still am) big into vinyl. One day, I was in a used record store, and FINALLY found the album I wanted (Oh, it was Dig That Groove Baby by the Toy Dolls, just in case anyone was wondering). Only problem, it was on CD and not vinyl. This was way before E-bay, and I could not find this stupid thing on vinyl anywhere. I told this to the clerk. He looked at me and said, "Dude, you can get a CD player at any Circuit City. But you're NOT gonna find that on vinyl anywhere."

Sold

I eventually got a CD player when I had a little more money for one.

I still mostly watch standard definition DVDs, but I like having the Blu-Ray capability. For those without Blu, as long as you realize that's the future, and are maybe slowing down or stopping your SD purchases, it's fine.

Although there's also a lot to be said for picking up DVDs for a buck. Do I really need Blu Ray for My Cousin Vinny? Not if it's gonna cost me $15 to do it.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What I want to know is, how the hell did you get that for free? Five finger discount you poor bastard?

16. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I too had horrible luck with Phillips dvd players, I went through 2 of them in 18 months. After that I decided to buy a Pioneer dvd player and it's worked perfectly for the last 3 years. And I use my dvd player a lot so they probably don't last as long for me as for lots of people. I have a blu ray player, but to be honest I can't see the big difference between dvd and blu ray, I only have a 32" TV, so I hear that on the larger tv's you see a bigger difference, but on my TV, a well encoded DVD looks pretty close to a blu ray, not quite, but there isn't a huge difference. I buy the movie on whichever format it's the cheapest. Often times online the blu ray is cheaper than the DVD, not sure why, but I notice that is often the case. Oh and I need to get Troll 2 also on blu ray :)

17. maybrick

Truth be told, the public access show I work on was sent not one copy, but 5. Purely by accident, but hey. Their loss, my gain, eh?

18. maybrick

My first CD ever was back in 1990. I was huge into The Stone Roses and they finally released their debut CD with an extra 12 minute track "Fool's Gold". Did I buy it? Hell yeah! So yeah, I didn't own a CD player then either. Funny thing, eh? Times aren't so different after all.

19. xdiggler

xdiggler Member

Just bought my first BLU RAY today...Grindhouse. Also picked up a new 46" Bravia and Blu Ray player.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I own all of my favorite films on 35mm and project them on the side of my neighbors' houses. If you were a real film fan, you would too.:D But yeah I haven't really looked into how much multi-region players are. Are they really still that pricey? I saw a regular Sony blu-ray player at my work for $140.