And my first blu-ray disc is...

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, Oct 19, 2010.

1. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

The Sherwood BDP-5004 is under $130 at Amazon. Don't know if I could recommend the player, but is an affordable region-free option. Short of that, you need to consider the Oppo BDP-83 which can be easily modified for region free playback with a plug and play hardware mod (or wait for its replacement, the BDP-93, which will hopefully be modifiable in the same manner.)

2. NIN

NIN Member

Yes, a bluray player cost some money, but it will also cost money to first buy the DVD then down the line upgrade to the bluray in the future. I have friends that did the same thing with VHS/LD vs DVD, and ALL have upgraded the VHS/LD to DVD and losing money on the VHS/LD.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Of course, if you wait a long time to buy a blu-ray player, then not only will the player be cheaper, but the movies themselves will be on discount. The only way a person would really be "losing money" is if they are in the habit of buying everything upon release date. Otherwise, it's probably just about an even trade.

4. j tea

j tea New Member

blurays look shitty on my black and white teevee. but how many of your teevees have a handle!

5. maybrick

The Sherwood BDP-5004 is a pretty frickin sweet machine! Just got it in the mail yesterday and it does and plays everything I could ever hope for! Well... supposedly it won't play Region B locked discs but given that the two I'm really interested in from Region B aren't (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and Jan Svenkmajer's ALICE) I don't think that it'll become too much of a nuisance down the line. I'm pretty syched about it having a USB port in the front as well. Now I don't have to be burdened with burning DVD-RWs to watch divx files, I can just jam a flash drive in the sucker and go!

6. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I have the Sherwood BDP-5004 as well. Love it, its handled everything Ive thrown at it.

and on topic.. my first BD was the same as my first VHS, my first LD and my first DVD... Texas Chainsaw. :D

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Cool, 'brick, you're in here bumping the thread where you once talked about not being interested in Blu-Ray at the time. Did you slow down your DVD purchases as you started to realize you'd be going Blu eventually? I see people complain when a movie is released on Blu without a corresponding DVD. I'm like, dude, just buy the Blu-Ray.....you'll get a player eventually.

Oh, and to answer the original question, if I haven't already, my first Blu-Ray disc was Inglorious Basterds. (First laserdisc: Pulp Fiction. First DVD: Hell Night)

8. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I believe my first Blu purchases were X-Men and Predator. Bought em on the same day as I got the Ps3 and thought I should bring home a couple flicks my other half likes in order to justify such a large purchase lol.

First Blu Ray I bought for myself was Criterion's release of "Hausu".

9. maybrick

Pretty much, although I don't see myself all of a sudden buying tons of blu ray discs like I used to with DVDs either. I still have a problem with limited shelf space. I'm going to try my hardest to stick to films that I will actually watch more than once or twice. I have an amazing number of discs that I haven't revisited since the day I bought them, and I'm now trying to build up the willpower to sell them off.