Angelman's unrequested (by you) top 6 BDs of the first half of 2016

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Angelman, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

No one asked me, but whatever... This list is US only releases, I could do a separate one for Euro releases.

6. THE FOREST (Code Red)

I’m not sure what it is about slasher movies set in the woods that were made during the 80s but even the worst of the bunch are pure gold to me. The Forest, cheap by any standard, is no exception though it is admittedly one of the weakest of the bunch. After a prologue where two wayward campers get stalked and slashed in the woods the story cuts forward to Steve and Charlie, two dude-ly dudes who make plans to camp only to have their respective significant others, Sharon and Teddi decide to crash the trip as well. Sharon and Teddi make it to the woods first after Steve and Charlie have car trouble. That's when the carnage starts. courtesy of the least menacing killer ever, who looks like your drunk big rig-driving uncle.

Code Red's Blu looks better than it has any right too, and revisits one of the first titles I saw of Bill's then-DVD label, finally in HD.

5. Alien Factor (Retromedia)

It’s bad. The acting is bad. But much like director Don Dohler’s other films there is an infectious enthusiasm for science fiction, horror and a do-it-yourself attitude that, for anyone who ever dreamed of making movies as a kid, there is much to admire. Dohler made several films, but he also published magazines, did effects… the guy loved the craft. He loved B-Movies. Why else would anyone work to crank out these labors of love in Baltimore of all places? Imagine if Peter Jackson had only made BAD TASTE-style films, or Raimi has stopped at the original EVIL DEAD. Dohler is THAT guy. A guy who loved the fantasy, the horror, the FUN of these films.

If you've been watching awful VHS and Standard Def versions of this, the retromedia Blu is a revelation. I couldn't wait to have this when it was announced and it delivered on every level.

4. Lizard in a Woman's Skin (Mondo Macabro)

If you are like me, when you think Lucio Fulci your mind immediately goes to gut-munching, eye violence, misogyny. All of those mid-70s/80s Italian horrors that were pumped up the sex and nudity for horror fans who couldn’t be bothered with things like story or characters. Lizard in a Women’s Skin however is a very different animal. Though it contains it’s moments of cringe-worthy violence, it is largely a well-crafted and subtle giallo that, director aside, deserves the praise it gets as being one of the best examples of the genre.

And Mondo Macabro's Blu explodes with color and beauty - it felt like watching the film for the first time. I need to go back and watch the DVD, because my memory of that was that it was nowhere near the presentation and love it gets here.

3. Tenebrae (Synapse)

After a brief, but incredibly creative, game-changing departure into supernatural horror, Dario Argento returned to straight-ahead Gialli form with Tenebrae and in the process created one his finest films.

Despite all the howling over the price point - Synapse did a lot of work to improve upon the Arrow release by making multiple fixes of small, but noteworthy issues with the original transfer. Much like the Demons steelbooks, Tenebrae is a masterwork of packaging and presentation and whets the appetite for the long-awaited Suspiria BD.

2. The Mutilator (Arrow)

The Mutilator is one of those movies that I want to fully endorse as a fun, violent, ridiculous example of an 80s slasher but have to be careful because when all is said and done it is not that good of a movie, at least not in the conventional sense.

The film is alternately a perfect 80s film: beer-drinking teens, bad jokes, light sex, shenanigans, 80s rock pop. It’s all there, like an old friend. It is also shockingly violent at times in a way that any horror fan, specifically of this era of slasher films, can’t help but admire. The kills are meant to get that shock/horror but also laugh – a fine line to walk – but it gets there. The film is kind of deliberate and slow, and no one performance stands out but this is one of those films where every time I see it I walk away happy having experienced a nice solid slasher and feeling like the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I could easily see someone watching this one and not getting the hype, because the film is not great and has, unfortunately, been overhyped. It’s reputation rests on the fact that it IS a hidden gem, nestled in obscurity because of a spotty availability history in the home video market; for those who have seen all the usual suspects, slasher-wise, this is must-see material.

Arrow FINALLY delivered what we have wanted for so very, very long. Time to retire those muddy, "what's happening in this dark scenes" VHS and PAL DVDs... this is the way it was meant to be seen (and why Arrow has, like Blue Underground once was for DVD, been killing it lately).

1. Pieces (Grindhouse)

Just watch it.

This is one from my childhood that my sister and I remembered very strongly and so I irrationally love how bat-shit crazy it is. Puzzle drama aside, it in NO WAY deserves the royal treatment it gets: slipcover, soundtrack, two versions of the film, great A/V (and, maybe, a puzzle). This one has the most replay value to me by a country mile...

Myron Breck, Matt89 and hots4 like this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have all of those with the exception of The Forest. I saw that when it played theatrically and really don't remember anything about it. Of course that was over 30 years ago.

Angelman likes this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The only one of those I have is The Mutilator, but I also want to get Pieces at some point. I don't buy so much any more but I was impressed with Monster Dog.

Angelman likes this.
  4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I only have Pieces and Mutilator and those would definitely be in my top list. I plan on getting Alien Factor.

Angelman likes this.
  5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

The Mutilator for sure.

Highway to Hell was another one I was extremely happy to see on BD.

Angelman likes this.
  6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

But, you don't understand- Pieces is not on Hulu anymore. Dang it, I can't see it.

Angelman likes this.
  7. Angelman

Finally got around to Monster Dog. Definite honorable mention. The PQ is insane. I could count the pores on Alice Cooper's face. Nice Italian cheese that had some nice gore and even delivered a jump scare or two. Lots of fun.

maybrick likes this.
  8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

My top 5:

1. The Mutilator (Arrow US)
    2. The Return of the Living Dead (Scream Factory)
    3. Pieces (Grindhouse releasing)
    4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Scream Factory)
    5. The Alien Factor (Retromedia)

Angelman likes this.
  9. Angelman

Great list.

MisterTwister likes this.