Animal violence in Argento films

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by RyanPC, Jul 19, 2004.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm a huge Argento fan, but lately I've been noticing a pattern in most of his movies... one or more animals being killed, usually birds. Does anyone think there is some significance in this or is it just a coincidence? There were the birds in Opera and Deep Red, the cat in his Black Cat segment from Two Evil Eyes, and the cats in Inferno, plus more I can't think of right now. I know it isn't real, but it's very disturbing (particularly the one in Two Evil Eyes). Maybe he hates animals?

2. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Argento loves animals. He's a vegetarian and if you paid more attention to his films you'd see that animals are often essential to the story. People read into his movies way too much. If you're going to relate everything in the movie to Dario himself then you should take into account that the killer almost always gets his or hers in the end.

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Well, yeah... but it always seems odd to me that some animals are treated horribly while others (like the monkey in Phenomena) are not. And you say not to relate everything in the movie to Dario himself, but he did write the movie, so it's kind of hard not to.

Either way, I just found it odd, that's all. I still love his films, with or without the violence against animals.

4. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

I don't think Argento hates any animals :) Animal violence doesn't disturb me if I know no real animal was hurt (like those two infamous italian Cannibal movies). To display animal violence is usually trick how to show you how evil the villain really is - and it works, isn't it?

Ugly animal (f/x) violence was showed in Pet Sematary 2 - I was shocked, I don't believe it passed to R rating :)

5. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Whether or not he wrote the movie isn't important. That doesn't mean every single aspect of it is a reflection of his real life.

They're horror films. Meant to be horrific.

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've learned not to read into movies too. It takes the enjoyment out of them for me, except films like Donnie Darko, which are meant to be read deeper. I don't really think there is any significance to the animals in each individual film, but as a whole I think it just shows that Argento likes furry and feathered critters.

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I don't usually read into movies either, but this seemed like a strange pattern to me. Of course, once I posted this thread I knew some people would get offended. ;)

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

No one is offended. Look that word up.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Well, maybe you weren't offended, but you certainly weren't slow to snap at me, saying I was wrong for seeing a pattern like that in his movies. I guess that's in your nature, though.

10. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Let's keep the discussion on topic please.

Thanks.

11. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

The only REAL animal cruelty I saw in his movies was the pierced lizard in Deep Red.If anyone can prove that scene was fake I'd be more happy with it.....

12. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

Didn't a little boy squish a lizard in Trauma too?

13. Crystal Plumage

Well I remember something like that too.Not entirely sure 'bout the details though.

14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I think you're over-reacting. Look at just about any western and see horses tripped up and dragged down. Argento might have the occasional faked bit of animal violence (the mouse eating in Inferno is real though) but it's nothing significant and I'm surprised that any genre fan would find it "disturbing". In the grand scheme of the genre, he's not doing much at all, imo.

15. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

He hates people, too. He kills a bunch of them!

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Good point, Mortis! :D

17. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I'll bet those cats didn't appreciate getting chucked at Daria Nicolodi in 'Inferno'.

18. Crystal Plumage

:D Yeah I noticed a pattern there..;) (just kidding RyanPC!!)

19. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Take a look at Men Behind The Sun for some real and brutal cat violence. You'll appreciate the fact that Argento dosen't use real animals.

20. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i dont get why people care so much that animals die in movies. i can understand REAL animal violence but fake? who cares. i could watch a movie with nothing but fake animal violence and it wont bother me. even REAL animal violence doesnt really bother me....well to an extent.