Announcing The MVD Rewind Collection starting 2018!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Sep 18, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

This is not good news. Either they get better restoration or drop prices.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think they care much about the transfers. They basically already posted something like "Don't yell at us about the transfers, we just use whatever the licensor gives us to use."

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I see that MVD guy on Blu frequents that MVD thread. He seems to respond to questions/suggestions. Maybe ask him about it? Is that where you read their response from before?

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well at least in Savannah's case, I'm reading nothing about DNR.

I agree though about using the Krekel transfers, though that's the fault of the licensor, not MVD.

Maybe if MVD started consider about crowdfunding to make new transfers/restorations straight from the negatives.

5. Katatonia

It (about the transfers) was basically in a general press statement that MVD posted in a forum about their releases.

Nobody said anything about DNR with Savannah Smiles that I can tell. The review lists other problems with the transfer.

6. Nailwraps

Like how Piranha II lead to an expanded deal with Shout! and Sony, thanks to Windrider, MVD and MGM have begun a deal together as a smorgasbord of titles are coming up!:

http://mvdb2b.com/?site_id=label&vendor=FOX

That currently makes this MGM's 8th sublicensing deal.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. Katatonia

Besides Windrider, I hope they license some better titles than those. Their initial licensing selection is just... yuck. o_O

satans-sadists likes this.
  8. Nailwraps

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15065739&postcount=388

"The deal isn't just for 00's stuff. I'm just staring with super commercial stuff that will resonate with both collectors and the casual buyer as well. Once we get through the first round we'll go back and see what's what. I'm just not chasing super old movies at MGM. As you know, I do like the 80's & 90's."

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

10. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

It may be yucky but your a windrider smooth up in ya mofo. ;)

11. Katatonia

Uhh, yeah?? o_O

Savannah Smiles review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Savannah-Smiles-Blu-ray/195787/#Review

I have to agree with that score...the transfer is pretty crappy. I don't know if the "Library of Congress" film print was the best they could locate now or what, but it's certainly wasn't in the best condition.

The older Anchor Bay DVD from 2006 was sourced from what looks to be a far better (and cleaner) film source, and the colors are also far superior to the Blu-ray. That shows the "Studio Canal" animated logo at the beginning of it, so who knows what happened in the 12 years since.

You do get an uptick in visible detail on the Blu-ray, but the print damage (+ missing frames) and muted colors don't exactly make it an ideal presentation.

baggio likes this.
  12. Nailwraps

Still, I'll take grainy picture over noise reduction any day. I mean, it doesn't look that bad.

13. Katatonia

True, but I watched the Blu-ray yesterday...and it still looks pretty damn bad.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

MVD has been announcing a lot of really lame MGM re-issues recently, but here's a pleasant surprise:

Art School Confidential on October 9th.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

baggio likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Watched the Blu-ray of Abominable last night. The movie is a favorite of mine (Rear Window with a practical Bigfoot, I mean c’mon how could I not love it?) and I just watched the DVD around a year ago for a podcast so the film was fresh in my mind. The introduction from the director explains why this Blu is being advertised as a new version of the film. Like some older TV shows that are remastered to HD, the film was finished in SD back in the day to keep post production costs low (it made the festival rounds a couple years before the HD format wars) and that meant it had to be completely rebuilt to be presented in HD. So they matched the cuts in picture and sound exactly (a months long process) and had to redo everything that was done with CG. One of these thing was the eyes of the Bigfoot, which I never knew were CG. On the Blu they changed the pupils up to go with an original concept they weren’t able to pull off back in the day. The director’s point was they had to redo the eye effects anyway so they thought they’d go with something they wanted to do but didn’t 12 years ago. The creature does definitely look more intimidating with the change in pupils, but now it’s pretty obvious the eyes are a post effect. But maybe I only saw that because I was looking for it after seeing the intro. All of the special features from the packed DVD are carried over so I’d definitely recommend this Blu release for fans of the film and those seeking something in the style of an old school creature feature, but made in a time when those films were afforded a decent budget.

baggio, Katatonia, fceurich39 and 2 others like this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Katatonia

I picked up the DVD when it was released, but just the normal "unsigned" version.

To say the 2 films are amateurish SOV is putting it mildly. To call either a "film" is being really generous, since both are really very "short" films.

They do have a lot of heart though, and are entertaining for what they are. The Manfredini re-scores are certainly a bonus.

Here's the one review online that I've seen for the release: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?7530-The-Violence-Movie

...and another review: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t-z/violencemovie88.htm

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    baggio likes this.