Announcing The MVD Rewind Collection starting 2018!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Sep 18, 2017.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]

This is the one you have been waiting for! You knew the date (it’s been up on Amazon for quite some time) but today I’m proud to officially announce MVD Rewind Collection #24... SPLIT SECOND!

MVD teamed up with 101 Films in the UK for this release (other than packaging, these releases are identical). Basically, MVD oversaw the new transfer of the film and 101 produced the new bonus material. I want to take a moment here to thank the team at 101 for all of their dedication and hard work. So let’s get into it!

SPLIT SECOND: COLLECTOR’S EDITION

In the year 2008, the cops are better armed than before, but nothing has prepared them for this. Swift, sharp-clawed and deadly, something moves among them on the streets, in the alleyways, on the rooftops, tearing out human hearts and devouring them. Maverick cop "Harley" Stone (Rutger Hauer) lost his partner to the beast, and now it looks like his girlfriend Michelle (Kim Cattrall) is next on the killer's list. Even in the future, there aren't guns big enough to stop the creature's deadly force, but Stone has no choice. Teamed with rookie detective Durkin (Alastair Duncan), Stone must stalk the edge of his own sanity if he is to destroy the rampaging Evil on the outside and banish the very real demons within . . . It could all be over in a SPLIT SECOND.

SPLIT SECOND boasts an all-star cast that includes Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner, The Hitcher), Kim Cattrall (Big Trouble in Little China, Sex and the City) and Alastair Duncan (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), with an all-star supporting cast that includes Academy Award® Nominees* Michael J. Pollard (Tango & Cash, Bonnie & Clyde) and Pete Postlethwaite (Inception). From director Tony Maylam (The Burning), “Split Second” features creature design effects by Stephen Norrington (Blade) and a screenplay written by Gary Scott Thompson (The Fast and The Furious).

MVD Rewind Collection has teamed up with 101 Films to bring collectors a fully loaded special edition. Starting with a brand new high definition presentation overseen by Joe Rubin, the main feature is presented in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative, with uncompressed 2-channel stereo audio.

“Split Second” is packed with hours of bonus material produced by 101 Films exclusively for the US (and the UK) including brand new cast and crew interviews, new audio commentary, and rarely seen 1992 legacy features, an alternative cut of the film, deleted scenes, promos and more!

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition (1080p) presentation of the main feature in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, newly scanned, restored and color graded in 4K from the 35MM internegative
    • Audio: 2.0 LPCM Stereo
    • English Subtitles
    • NEW! Audio Commentary by action film historian Mike Leeder and filmmaker Arne Venema
    • NEW! “Great Big Bloody Guns!” Producer Laura Gregory & Actor Alastair (Neil) Duncan on Split Second (HD, 27:25)
    • NEW! “Call Me Mr. Snips!” An Interview with Composer Stephen W. Parsons (HD, 22:21)
    • NEW! “Stay In Line!” An Interview with Line Producer Laurie Borg (HD, 23:02)
    • NEW! “More Blood!” An Interview with Creature Effects Designer Cliff Wallace (HD, 32:03)
    • NEW! “Shoot Everything!” An Interview with Cinematographer Clive Tickner (HD, 18:57)
    • Original 1992 Split Second “Making of” featurette that includes interviews with stars Rutger Hauer, Kim Cattrall, Alastair (Neil) Duncan, Michael J. Pollard, Writer Gary Scott Thompson and more! (SD, 6:26)
    • Original 1992 behind the scenes featurette with effects creator Stephen Norrington, cast and crew (SD, 3:41)
    • Split Second Japanese Cut, full frame with burnt-in Japanese subtitles (SD, 95:00)
    • Deleted Scenes from the Japanese Cut (English, burnt-in Japanese subtitles) (SD, 4:42)
    • 7 Promotional TV Clips (SD)
    • U.S. VHS Home Video Promo (SD, 2:34)
    • Theatrical Trailer (SD, 2:15)
    • MVD EXCLUSIVE: Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs created exclusively for this release
    • Collectible Mini-Poster featuring original VHS style artwork

Exclusive for North America, the MVD Rewind Collection Collector’s edition of SPLIT SECOND features newly commissioned artwork by Thomas Hodge "The Dude Designs" on both the wrap and a limited edition slipcover. Also exclusive for MVD’s North American release will be reversible wrap featuring a stylized version of the original VHS artwork that will also be featured on a mini-poster insert.

I know everyone here has been waiting for this release for a long time. While MVD licensed this film almost two years ago, as a fellow collector, it was important to me to get this release right. At the time of the acquisition, MVD was originally provided with an older HD master, but I felt we could do better. With the help of Joe Rubin, we began a search for the best materials to scan. Once we had a beautiful new master I then reached out to 101 Films, who control the rights to Split Second in the UK, and we worked together creating new bonus materials and locating classic material in order to make this truly the definitive release of ‘Split Second” in both North America and the UK.

MVD Rewind Collection #24
    SPLIT SECOND: COLLECTOR’S EDITION
    North American release date - August 11, 2020
    Special Edition available exclusively in North America on Blu-ray from MVD Entertainment Group
    BLU-RAY: MVD0766BR / UPC: 760137076681 / $39.95 SRP / RATED R
    Standard Edition also available on HD Digital, VOD and DVD
    [​IMG]

baggio, Erick H., Katatonia and 3 others like this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh wow that set looks incredible.

Surprised it took this long to get a special edition, but definitely a day one purchase.

~Matt

satans-sadists likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I really like the slipcover. May have to double dip on this one.

baggio likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It looks like 101 Films are also releasing an edition of Split Second in the UK: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26953

The specs seem virtually identical to the MVD release, except for the different cover artwork and a booklet.

MVD states the transfer is from the Internegative, but 101 Films states from the Interpositive. Probably just an error.

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

According to MVD's release notes, it looks like both releases will share the same authoring, so on disc content should be 1:1 identical.

Since it was MVD that seems to have commissioned the transfer, I suspect their statement regarding lineage is probably more accurate.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got Split second at my indie store looks really good great film! They had Brutal massacre and Mikey but can't get Mikey until Aug 11 street date not sure why I was able to get it early.

Katatonia and baggio like this.
  7. Katatonia

I actually went with the 101 Films release of this, and received it in the mail today along with The New Kids.

It's the first time I've ordered direct from 101, but I have to say that they pack things very well. The shipping box did arrive savaged by the mail service (and I immediately thought the worst) — but 101 had each set packed inside separate sealed bubble mailers with extra bubble wrap around those! Probably a good thing too, so kudos to them for doing that.

Anyways, from what I've heard the Split Second transfers on both the 101 and MVD releases are pretty much identical. It's not a mind-blowing transfer, so no one should expect miracles with the film. The 101 release does come on 2 separate Blu-rays however. The film on Disc #1 and the Extras on Disc #2, plus the 30-page booklet in the Slipbox.

Screen comparisons with the previous Blu-rays can be found here: https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=5530

fceurich39 likes this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Have you seen Brutal massacre? Is it any good? It's been on Amazon Prime for ages, I've looked at it gone, Ow it's David Naughton from American werewolf. But then never watched it!

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was very good. It's a fictionalized version of the making of Malevolence (which is a terrific little indie horror, if you haven't seen it). If you pick up the Malevolence blu-ray, there's a 30 minute making-of from the old Anchor Bay disc that includes all the stories that are fictionalized in Brutal Massacre.

Malevolence is highly recommended.

fceurich39 and zbinks like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I gotta disagree..... I watched Malevolence when it first came out and remembered liking it. After a couple sequels, I decided to go back and watch the original..... It did not hold up well in my opinion. I thought it was pretty boring. Are the sequels worth checking out?

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I've always liked Malevolence and it's back to basics approach to slasher films, with a greater emphasis on atmosphere than gore.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Not really I much prefer the Malevolence trilogy.

13. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

I blind bought Brutal Massacre a loooong time ago on DVD hoping it would be a horror version of Waiting For Guffman/Best In Show/For Your Consideration. I only watched it once and remember not finding it nearly as funny as those movies...I dunno, maybe I'll give it another spin and see if I find it funnier all these years later...I've seen the first two (own the first) Malevolence movies and definitely enjoyed those more...

fceurich39 likes this.
  14. Katatonia

Here's my mini-review for the new Mikey Blu-ray:

The new transfer for Mikey looks really good. Nice grain/detail and vivid colors... it's definitely a newer transfer, and I detected no indication of any DNR. I've give it an easy 4/5. I only noticed one scene for a few seconds having a thin "line" down the middle of the frame. I'm not sure if this new transfer came from the original 35mm negative, but probably from the interpositive if not.

There are two audio choices, either an uncompressed 16-bit PCM 2.0 track or a "lossy" DD 2.0 track at 320kbps. The PCM track is perfectly clear, nothing to complain about. There are optional English subtitles offered for the main feature.

The 87 minute full-length documentary (in full HD) is entertaining and reveals a lot about the history and shoot of the film. It's basically just four people: the director, the producer/editor, the director of photography, and Brian Bonsall.

The other bonus feature is "Anatomy of a Scene" (14 minutes) with the director, which basically shows the full end sequence in a smaller Picture-in-Picture with him talking over it about how it was shot, etc.

Then there is the original trailer for Mikey, which also seems to be sourced from a new HD widescreen transfer. It lists it as being SD on the back cover, but it is full 1080p HD on the disc.

Lastly there are 4 additional trailers on the disc for other MVD releases: Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder, Dahmer, Mind Games, and Split Second.

Overall a very solid release, and fans of the film should be pleased.

baggio, dave13, fceurich39 and 4 others like this.
  15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I watched my copy when it arrived a few weeks ago. First time seeing it since the 90's. I was struck by how heavily the film relied on the killer kid concept for its horror content. Very little attempt was made to create a scary atmosphere. Not sure if that was intentional or just the result of a first time director. Not that it made the film unenjoyable or anything. I had a good time revisiting it after so long.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. Christy

Christy Active Member

Split Second is a must buy!

19. Katatonia