Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

Code Red is saying that their Blu-Ray of Nightmare is "botched". I have seen it and it is fine and a big improvement over the DVD that came out in 2011. The only Code Red DVD or Blu-Ray that I would call botched was Group Marriage which has a problem playing on some DVD players. The guy from Code Red did give a warning about this before buying.

I can understand why Code Red has put that description there, because Bill Olsen is thinking about the complaints that might be coming over something missing from the Code Red version.

2. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

He needs to just stay off the Internet. It's been an issue for him since Code Red's beginnings.

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

People gave Anchor Bay a shit storm over their botched audio for H4, and DVD upscale of Silent Night, Deadly Night has failed to impress Blu-ray collectors. But honestly, I haven't seen anyone giving Bill a hard time over the seconds missing from his release. I personally enjoyed the release, and while I'm no expert on Nightmare, couldn't it simply be a question of different cuts? Apparently, Bill's release has some snippets missing from certain other releases of the film.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I don't know Bill and am only vaguely aware of the back-n-forth he has had with collectors but give the guy a break. The financial part of this has to be very stressful, as does being pummeled for every release since he started. Companies are not lining up to release a lot of the titles he is releasing (and with the exception of Scream Factory, Vinegar Syndrome and a few others we aren't seeing a ton of support for these movies from domestic labels anymore…). I went thru checking to see which movies I have that I'd like to see on Blu and there is a TON still in Blu-Ray limbo. The original Carnival of Souls, The Blind Dead Films, Targets, Fulci's The Psychic… I applaud the companies cranking these out.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for him. He's a straight up dick. Every studio has to deal with the financial side of things. It's part of running a business. It's stressful, I get it. But for the love of Christ, this guy needs to contain himself. Another part of running a business is that even though times may be tough you maintain your composure and exhibit at least a little bit of goddamn professionalism. Don't attack the people who fucking make you money.

I think it's akin to celebrities being dickheads to their fans.

~Matt

6. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

One of the biggest complaints I have about Code Red other than the fact that it is getting harder to actually buy the movies ever since Code Red started selling directly, is that some of these DVD's are only sold for a short amount of time. Movies like Trick or Treats and The Love Butcher were only for sale for a month or two and now are gone.

7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Sorry Angelman, I'm with Matt here.

I'm a business owner with a lot of employees and it's in an industry where we travel to our customers home to perform our work. It's stressful as hell sometimes dealing with customers shit, especially when you are inside their home. Some of the stuff they complain to me or my guys about is insane, but you know what, we act like professionals, deal with whatever problem they have politely and in a calm manner. The saying "The customer is always right" is actually true, even when the customer is wrong :)

My employees are probably sick to death about me telling them how we are first and foremost, above everything else, a customer service company. And as the head of a business, no matter what business you're in, when your company has made a mistake, you have to take responsibility. Customers HATE when you pass the blame onto someone else. You might not have even been in the wrong, but as the "boss" all a customer wants to hear is how you're going to fix the problem.

Bill seems to have a problem with this. It's never his fault, it's always something he can't control, blah, blah, blah.

Collectors of genre horror movies are compulsive freaks. Admit it, we are. We will bitch and moan about the smallest shit. But Bill needs to stop sweating the small stuff, control what he can control and understand the buck stops with him.

Then, maybe he'd have a more successful company and enjoy what he does for a living.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

He should just sell his product through diabolikdvd and not directly. That would solve a lot of his problems as well as the consumers.

I have only bought from CR once and the product did not arrive after 6 weeks. I sent Bill an email and he sent me a replacement ASAP. So I applaud him for that. Did not like the fact he never sent a tracking number though. You'd think once it was shipped, the seller would send the buyer a tracking notice that way both parties knew where said package was. But I digress.

9. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

Spot on Matt & Ptflea. I have no sympathy for someone that goes off on customers and doesn't make the product widely available. Stupid moves all round.

10. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Yeah, I might start my own label. Get some really cool and obscure titles that people here want. Remaster them, and make some some nice Blurays. Then refuse to sell them outside of Australia hahahahahahah. Oh, and change my name to Bill while I'm at it.

11. Getmoredvdsout

Getmoredvdsout New Member

Haha. I'm in Tall Man. Maybe we could do a joint venture and call it Code Blu?

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Id join! Code Blu is actually great :D

13. startide

startide Member

I've got 5 bucks here. Can I be your first shareholder Tall Man?

14. Angelman

My defense of him was half-hearted in the sense I don't really have a dog in this fight. I just know running a business can be stressful. You're both right about being professional. But I don't see his outbursts as addressed to me (as a purchaser of his releases). That's drama between him and his critics. I just appreciate him putting time into stuff that no one cares about coming out on Blu. If it's missing 5 seconds from a Dutch release, it makes no difference to me, nor does his reply to his critics, or his critics reply to him. As long as I can get what I want? At the end of the day all the rest of the drama is white noise in the scope of my life.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  15. startide

startide Member

I guess that's the difference then. I see the snide remarks on his store descriptions and even the material he produces as an attack on the people who are actually buying his product. That's not cool, and it doesn't even make any sense. Why piss off the people buying your stuff??

16. Zombie Dude

In his latest outburst he wasn't even being criticized. The person who brought it up clearly stated that they loved his release and just wanted to share something cool they had found which happened to be extended footage.
    No one in that post complained that Code Red's release was no longer good etc, but Bill had to jump on and loose his shit for literally no reason at all.

It was unnecessary, unprofessional and just plain ridiculous. The guy is a fucking nut job.

17. Angelman

Yeah, I think that's it. I mean, if I worried about people in the entertainment industry who criticized fans or were nuts I wouldn't listen/watch half the music and movies I do. I try to only worry about what they do that matters to me. In this case, giving me access to movies I enjoy. The rest, for me, in a bunch of blah blah.

18. Angelman

I mean, I'm not looking to be friends with the guys putting out these films. It's not like he'll be invited to my birthday party. I just want the movies.

19. Zombie Dude

That's why you should download them and give him the finger for treating the fans and his supporters so badly.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

When it comes right down to it I'd have to side with Angelman on this. The most important thing to me is the transfers, and Bill's been doing a fine job on that. Not the greatest mind you, but I appreciate his warts and all approach. If he can get the bitrate higher and learn to optimized to the Blu-ray format more and more with each release then I can work with that.

With everybody's wishlists still miles and miles long there seems to be some disconnect with demanding everything be released instantly and demanding that only one or two fan approved distributors be allowed to do so.

Who else in their right minds would release Messiah of Evil on Blu-ray? Shout Factory? They swore off public domain and avoid pre-1980's whenever they can. Even Vinegar Syndrome dumped Silent Night, Deadly Night to digital downloads. You basically need someone as batshit crazy as Bill to release this stuff. If there were distributors beating down the doors of these producers for the release rights do you think a cheapskate like Bill would get the time of day from them?