Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Also, Vote Kane

IMG_20180412_025512.jpg

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here... Dark Force's transfers have been lackluster thus far, to say the least.

Dobby likes this.
  3. Katatonia

A couple of people have now posted that The Carrier Blu-ray has a bad audio sync problem, at least on the theatrical cut:

With the prices these are selling for ($25+) you'd think there would be just a little better quality control to spot these issues. I'm sure the chances of a replacement disc are probably gonna be nil?

Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I still have my old (Anchor Bay?) DVD set with MIRROR MIRROR and its three sequels. I can't imagine needing to upgrade this one, which I guess is good considering the Dark Force track record.

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=188233531798526&id=158542421434304

6. CPT HOOK

The Anchor Bay DVD is fullscreen.

I'll probably upgrade and ditch the DVD collection. Even though I head over heels adore the first movie, the sequels are pretty unwatchable.

7. Katatonia

Oh boy, anyone want to place bets on whether or not there will be the first ever Code Red replacement disc? :confused:

It's getting to the point where these overpriced "boutique" releases are just no longer worth purchasing straight away, especially if they're not advertised as limited releases.

Is it really that difficult for somebody to actually sit down once and watch the movie on a completed authored disc to check for any errors before giving the final "OK" on it? From all reports the sync problem is pretty bad and should have been easily noticed.

Looks like I just received it in the mail from Diabolik too. I almost cringe at popping in the disc. :(

EDIT:

I checked The Carrier Blu-ray, and the audio sync problem on the original Theatrical cut is severe. The picture "freezes" at 44:25 for approx. 4-5 seconds, and then afterwards the audio is just completely out of sync... so you see people talking and then only hear the dialogue 4-5 seconds later. This should have easily been caught in advance 0f a final QC check.

So the last half of the movie in the "Theatrical Cut" is basically screwed and a pain to watch. The new longer "Director's Cut" on the disc appears to be unaffected with the issue.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I kind of liked the 2nd one, but the 3rd was a serious chore to get through--I haven't even tried to watch the 4th one yet.

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Just rewatched Offerings. What a chore. This one doesn't stand out in any way. Still, I am happy to add it to the collection, for completists sake.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Exactly. No, it's not. Even I do that when I rip an old VHS for myself. Where's the love yo?

x666x likes this.
  11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

After those garbage subs on Zeder (don’t care that they’re dubtitles but the SDH stuff, occasional character labels, and the black bars were too damn much) that took me about 20 minutes to fix (including the time it took me to look up how to do it and find the right free tools...) nothing really surprises me with this label anymore.

12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Katatonia likes this.
  13. Katatonia

Wow, that's a sizable difference. WTF happened with the Code Red transfer? That, and the "Dubtitles" o_O

I only wish the AT release had the English dub.

14. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Guess were stuck 'tween a rock and a hard place then. Less of course it's like the Toxic Avenger Part II and the transfer's encode got screwed up.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, no kidding. There are a very few companies out there that will rectify any problem. Charging a premium for a product and then won't make good on any problems is really an awful way to handle things. Imagine Vinegar Syndrome with this kinda problem? (fye they never had a problem yet that I'm aware of) They would probably drive to your house and hand you a fixed copy in person.

I'm going to stop buying Code Red products until Bill gets his act together or prices come down DRASTICALLY. Not one Code Red new release should be over $16. He sells mostly(not all) awful films to begin with imho, has a lot of nerve charging what he does.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. Katatonia

Well, Bill already posted that he will not be correcting The Carrier.

So basically, if a Code Red release is fucked up... you're either screwed or perhaps can get a refund.

"If we screw up a release, we will not fix it" is basically the policy.

You're right... it just doesn't even make good sense to buy Code Red releases straight away anymore, until you know for sure they are not screwed up.

Most of them just show up at Hamilton Book for $10 or less eventually anyway. :p

17. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

From the Dark Force Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=189092281712651&id=158542421434304

I just know I'm going to buckle even with the audio glitch. :mad:

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This guys such an idiot. "Issue with my release?, I know the perfect solution, scrap it completely!". Then it'll either show up on his sore again or his eBay account. Similar to how Full Moon keeps finding more of their Puppet Master DVD sets.
    If you think you've put a lot of time and effort into a transfer restoration/colour grade then I can't see why you'd think scrapping it is the best option.

That all being said I've never seen the film but the trailer didn't really interest me much. Don't know how good a film it is.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Oh yeah, he'll sell the remaining copies again. He'll wait for it to become "rare" even with the sync problem, and then it will show it in his Bigcartel store (with a disclaimer) at an inflated price later on. Remember "I will never, ever sell Necromancy" – same thing here.

It's a sneaky marketing ploy, that's for sure.

20. CPT HOOK

I'm so on the fence. I absolutely love The Carrier, it's wonderfully bonkers, and I'm trying to decide if I should just buy it for the director's cut. But $26.99 is steep for a defective product, and even though I don't think he's going to fix it, if they re-release a fixed version and force customers to buy it again I'm going to be pissed.

Why oh why couldn't The Carrier and Mirror Mirror end up with Vinegar Syndrome or Arrow like they deserve! :(

Also, if the disc is defective and they're still selling it with a disclaimer, why is the price going UP? It should going down.