Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I still can't decide if your apology was genuine or not :D

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

It was genuine. And my initial crack at Scream wasn't a crack at Code Red at all but at the film itself. Literally, nothing happens in that movie. Now, maybe there are cut scenes and so forth (as it stands, I think the whole damn movie takes place "off screen"...hehe) that would make me change my mind on it, but I'll have to wait and see.

Despite its shortcomings, I would definitely pick it up on DVD by Code Red though. I would love to hear what the filmmakers have to say. Commentaries that shed light on early 80s/late 70s low budget horror filmmaking are my faves (like Madman).

3. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Yeah not gonna waste my time on that movie.:rolleyes:

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: I admit to having the cheapo DVD. If it ever gets an official release, which is looking doubtful, I'll gladly buy it!

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Hey Wes, I think Bill was just saying the Class Reunion Massacre has long been accounted for in absence, so he's just not going to reanswer the same question. Hehe,

I read the Scream review, and was more than disappointed. Such a great cover. But I'll still pick up the disc. I can't wait! :)

6. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I myself am very "anti-Scream" one the all time worst IMO...like the camera was pointed in the wrong direction...all the time...but the fact that it's coming out give proof that ANYTHING is possible when it comes to the right label rescuing a title from obscurity.

7. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

You are one of those who thinks they are cool by slamming a company releasing DVDs.You actually look like an idiot and I will bet that you buy whatever CodeRed releases.

8. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

That's kind of harsh--I didn't get the impression that Vlachio (Or anyone) was slamming anyone, but hmmmm...

So--Bill, out of curiosity, is there a known reason why Spanish horror films are costing so much to get rights to? I heard that the series of Naschy/Ossorio films that BCI Eclipse had released ended up costing them quite a bit to secure, apparently much more than an average film of the same vintage would have been from just about any other source.

Is it a matter of there being like one vendor that controls most of the product? Just wondering. I like a lot of the Spanish product but they are all somewhat hokey. Even the one I prostitute out with each and every post I make on this site I fully realize is pure trash (and sometimes that is what makes them good IMO). I just can't understand why the rights holders would think any of them were worth any more than anything else, and why they wouldn't want to see their films resurface and try to work with companies like CodeRed etc. and be fair about their asking price..

It must be frustrating dealing with them.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I think the two flicks I'd LOVE Code Red to do are Rituals (which HOPEFULLY is in the pipeline, going by the inclusion of a trailer in a few of the recent discs) and Humongous. I'm a big fan of both, so seeing discs from a company I really like (I just checked on dvdaf.com and I've got 8 Code Red releases right now.... neat!) would just blow my socks off.

Whether these two are even available is obviously the problem, but I think these'd be pretty popular. Do it for the Canadians!

10. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just thought of another one.

Blood Link (1982)

I remember seeing this one a bunch of times in the store, with Embassy's logo on the top. And that knife over the city. :) Mmmm,

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

zing! Vlachio, you gonna take that? :lol:

I actually like Scream, and will definitely grab it especially if it gets the Blu treatment. Good times, I bet rhett will get it too. I mean, he will have to review it I'm sure :rolleyes:

12. SynapseFilms

SynapseFilms Guest

I have to interject here. This is not true at all. Many of the projects we do require us to use 16mm A/B roll and we do this all the time. It's expensive, sure, but we do it because we want to present the film the best it can be. For example, I went from the original A/B 16mm negs for FANTASM, FANTASM COMES AGAIN, THE DEADLY SPAWN, A BETTER PLACE and even our little seen STILLWATER. I go in and re-time and create brand new single strand 16mm lo-con materials for our transfers, even supervising all the opticals (dissolves, etc.) and initial retimings myself. It's important to us, and to our fans to do this instead of using inferior theatrical prints.

When I was hired (twice) to do the original TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, I went right back to the original 16mm A/B ECO negatives and started from scratch.

I don't understand what you mean by it being an "out of date system". It isn't a "system" at all. A/B roll consists of the actual film negatives on which a film is shot. To put the A/B roll together into a finished, edited film is a process that is still used every single day in Hollywood.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
  13. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

You may be thinking of Evil Judgment. I can't find a DVD for A Day of Judgment anywhere on Amazon.

14. gore

gore Guest

I dont think there is any sense asking about Rituals anymore. I dont think Bill wants to comment on that one I guess.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow, a little uncalled for, no? Jesus...:eek2:

~Matt

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

17. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Night of the Dribbler? Oh my.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Perhaps the difference may be that Synapse is able to do it because you personally are able to do it. For CodeRed, that might requiring hiring additional people. Reminds me what Mike Jittlov says, he does everything on his own films because he's free.

19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

What I posted on the Code Red thread on avmaniacs:

With BCI gone and things the way they are with the DVD market, I'm a little worried about Code Red's release schedule. The main flicks people are clamoring for are still on the back burner and they're putting out stuff I'd think would be a lot riskier. Not the best survival plan, but hopefully it all works out okay.

20. I was thinking the exact same thing.

By the way, love your avatar. Long live GoatBoy (aka: The late/great Bill Hicks).:D