any good monthly subscription horror mags around?

Discussion in 'General' started by Morgue Rapist, Jun 28, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a mag that's monthly or at least bi-monthly and focuses mostly on horror, sci-fi and exploitation from the 70's and 80's.

Rue Morgue - from what I've seen, this mag focuses mostly on newer horror. Not interested.

Ultra Violent - is this mag still around??? One of my alltime favorites, but I think it came out quarterly?

Fangoria - hahaha... pass

Horror Hound - very interested in this one, any mag with a giant CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD picture on the cover definitely catches my attention! how is it?

thanks in advance for all suggestions

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

You should indeed get a yearly subscription to Horror Hound, its the only one I have and I love it. I'm about to reup another 2 years.I hope they continue with the same format they are going with now and don't stray too far. I'm always excited to get the newest issue.You will not be disappointed.

Sean

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Horrorhound is the only one you need

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Horrorhound's COTLD issue is the first one I personally bought. This was after my gf bought a different issue months back. Both are really impressive. They inform of the days of VHS releases while also covering new films.

As far as Rue Morgue is concerned. I think they do cover modern horror really well. They don't just go after American horror, but cover international horror. They have a very appealing layout and really have fun with the genre. I do recall them covering the likes of HG Lewis, clearly going after more of the indy scene new and old. This mag actually accentuates the better of modern horror, helping me not get more even more jaded than I already am.

Admittedly, I am not a magazine kind of person, so take what I say as someone who is slowly getting into the horror mag scene myself. At this point, reading such are basically a summary of what I have been watching since a kid.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Rue Morgue focusing mostly on new horror? That's hardly the case.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

8. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Yeah, I had a year subscription to Rue and they focused on old and new horror equally. Great mag, but I've got so busy that I never have time to read.

When I ordered my first subscription, it took over 3 months to arrive. They apologized for this and sent me 3 DVDs to make up for it, awesome! :banana:

9. dmeister

dmeister New Member

My biggest issue with Rue Morgue was that their reviews for many independent and "B" horror flicks were often too generous. I bought several DVDs based on stellar reviews from Rue Morgue, particularly when they were not immediately available for rent from my local Blockbuster, just to find that the movies completely sucked.

dmeister

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Really? I find them way to negative in their reviews. I've had a subscription for years and If i didn't know any better I would of thought there hasn't been a good horror film out in 20 years.

11. i actually like Rue Morgue.

12. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I'd give you a list of some of the crap titles that I bought based on their reviews, but I sold most of them to the local used bookstore last summer. Cremations was one that I still remember, for instance.

Maybe they've gotten some new reviewers since I stopped subscribing to them.

dmeister

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I almost got a subscription to Rue Morgue way back, but I decided against it because I can basically get all of them same information online for free.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well, years ago when the internet was non existent, horror mags were the place to go.

Now you can get all you need online. Nothing is a secret anymore & nor are there really any surprises. Nothing like opening the new issue of Fangoria to find out about new films in the works. That's all gone now. I still say Fangoria holds up as one of best for years. They usually have full access to everything horror. Not many people have the kind of on set & director, actor, etc... access like they do. Now of course magazines like Rue Morgue have that kind of pull, but it took them awhile to get that. Still Fangoria today will be in the front of the line of most stories & production access. Exclusive magazine photos, etc...(and yes I realize there are websites that get photos to movie sets out quicker than the magazine)

15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Agree with B. Print at this point is for those who appreciate design and layout. I get the odd printed work for my coffee table. It is sometimes nice to want to get away from a computer a bit, and just delve into horror, in this case, layed out with pics of the vhs covers, on set pictures, perhaps exclusive to that mag. It is more of a luxury at this point. I think that is where Rue Morgue shines. They have an awesome look and layout. Their artist is remarkable and I even bought one of his prints off him in person. This is more of a magaine that presents their info and taste, with an A+ on presentation. I do have a minor background in design, mind you, so there lies my bias.

Oh yeah, Video Watchdog is also solid. Have a great issue covering the Blood Island film series.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I still prefer Fangoria over all print mags. They still have the best, most wide ranging coverage and exclusives that most mags don't have. True, I get a lot of news online these days..much of it from reading/participating on this site, but as long a Fangoria is printing a hands-on magazine, I will be a subscriber. I don't like Horror Hound or Rue Morgue. They seem a little juvenile for my taste. Rue Morgue also costs a bloody fortune to subscribe to compared to Fangoria.

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Picking up issue 23 on a whim recently, I am now a huge fan of HorrorHound and have been slowly but surely picking up back-issues. It gives me the kind of feeling I used to get when I first started reading Fangoria back in the late 80s. Good stuff and highly recommended for horror fans. Rue Morgue and Fango are pretty worthless these days.

The only drawbacks to HorrorHound are: Certain back issues that are out of print and sold out can go for a pretty penny, making collecting them, fairly difficult (issue 3 recently went for close to 200 bucks on ebay... yeah, doubting I will be picking that one up). Also, the mag is bi-montly so you're looking at only 6 issues a year as opposed to 12.

Of course, in my opinion, it's worth the wait. Very good read, with plenty of cool pics of rare stuff.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just asking a question, because I never read HorrorHound. What makes it a good read?

Because saying Rue Morgue & Fangoria are worthless is a pretty strong statement. So, I was wondering what does HorrorHound have in it that is not like those both magazines mentioned.

19. Chet Desmond Jr

Chet Desmond Jr New Member

I really like HorrorHound too, but wish the writing was better. Rue Morgue, Fangoria and especially Video Watchdog are all superior in that regard.

20. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I would agree with Harry Warden when he says Horror Hound is a little juvenile. Sometimes I feel like I am reading an essay written by a high school student. On the other hand, I really enjoy the VHS retrospectives and all those glorious pictures!