Any good non-R1 Asian movies to get?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dcrw6, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

I'm placing an order at dddhouse and I was going to try some movies I can't get here, but I know nothing about any of the titles, save for the ones already released here. If you guys know of any worth importing, let me know. Most movies are only about 5 or 6 bucks there, so it's not too big of a gamble ordering any blind buys. I'm open to any suggestions.

2. shift

shift Hot as shit!

The Eye / not us version
    The Grudge / not us version
    The Host

Ong Bak
    OLD BOY - but not sure if there is a R1 version or not.

3. Here are a few I'd vouch for;

A Bittersweet Life
    Glory to the Filmmaker
    Exiled

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's hard for me to say, even though I buy a ton of Asian titles. Reason being is that I just don't pay attention to the region coding. Here are some that come to mind that I'm pretty sure are non-region 1:

Josee, The Tiger, and the Fish: A bizarre but extremely enjoyable romantic story. A brash college student meets a reclusive parapelegic girl with a vivid imagination. I know, it sounds really sappy, but it's not.

Samurai Commandos: This one hits about a 19 on the strange-o-meter (on a scale of 1 to 10). Superior remake of a fairly lame Sonny Chiba movie. A military force is accidentally sent back in time to the 1500s. A year later, there are strange "black holes" all over Japan, due to the soldiers intentionally changing Japanese history. So another force is sent back in time to remove them. If you can tell me another movie where samurais fight while being strafed by helicopter fire, I'm all ears.

When I get home, I'll check my DVDs to see which titles are non-region 1.

Oh, and all the movies Shift listed are available in R1

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

This is kind of from shift's other thread regarding DVDs he ordered... If someone were to purchase Spooky Encounters or Mr. Vampire, which release is the best? I see two different widescreen releases for Mr. Vampire in R1 and I found one full frame R1 release for Spooky Encounters. Any feedback on those?

6. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Well this is the one I got of Mr. Vampire:

Description of "Mr. Vampire (DVD) (Digitally Remastered) (Hong Kong Version)"

SCREEN FORMAT: 1.78.1
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-c/section-videos/pid-1004027212/

=================

There seem's to be a US version here Region 1:
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-w/section-videos/pid-1004415602/

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I believe that Mr. Vampire is from Fortune Star, which have been pretty good releases so far. My Mr. Vampire is from Media Asia. I have the Fortune Star Spooky Encounters, I'm pretty sure it's widescreen. I'll check when I get home.

Fortune Star's stuff isn't bad. They do a good job with the picture, but the sound is over-cooked with too much surround action.

8. dcrw6

dcrw6 New Member

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. For the time being I ordered Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985), Godzilla vs Biollante, Recycle deluxe edition, and the R3 of Army of Darkness. I'm going to go through a lot of the ones they have listed on their site and see what might be good ones to get later on.

9. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Story of Ricky has a superior R2 release, see if they have that!

10. utyuurei

utyuurei Guest

If your equipment is not held hostage to region-coding restrictions, a great place you may wish to consider for both information and purchasing of DVDs about and from the Asian market is www.dvdasian.com -- that is where I make most of my direct-from-the-Asian-Market DVD purchases. Good folks.