Any love for 1981's Ghost Story????

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I saw it for the first time on cable in 1983 and liked it then. Thought it was creepy, love the special effects, but a lot of people hated it due to the book was better kinda thing. I remember in December of 81 seeing ads on t.v. for it and there was a lot of coverage on it, specially that old show called Evening Magazine. I really never cared too much for craig wasson . The chick was hot for that time though..

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Liked it quite a bit very creepy and a solid, classic ghost story. However, at one point they showed an old man's penis and this scared me the most out of everything in the film. I was about twelve when I first saw it.

3. ronnie21

think you are referring to the scene in the beginning where the craig wasson duel role brother falls out of the window and crashes below in front of a swimming pool. Yeah, that was one of the rare few times we see full frontal male nudity in an R rated film..

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like it, although I haven't seen it since the 90s. I watched it many, many times when it aired in the mid 80s on The Movie Channel. Many of the town scenes, the bridge in particular, was shot in Woodstock, VT not far from where I grew up.

5. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Decent Film, needs the HD upgrade. Don't wait for Universal to do it though. Hope Scream Factory get this.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I always felt it was a nice, classy alternative to all the teen slasher horror back then. I remember the teaser trailer before HALLOWEEN II.

7. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Funny this was brought up- I have always loved this one and pulled out my old dvd copy of the original release (snapper case with the original poster artwork) to watch yesterday as I was home sick from work. Unfortunately, this was a 1:85:1 version unenhanced for today's TV's, so the picture was in a little box in the middle of the screen. I couldn't watch it this way. I know there is sadly no Blu out there, but do any of you know if the second version they put out (Amazon says a 2004 release) on DVD is enhanced? This would be perfect snowy viewing for the winter.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have the Universal DVD and it is anamorphic widescreen.

9. ronnie21

yes, universal did re-release it again around 2004 with a 16x9 widescreen, the colors seem to shift more towards red on this release. But the artwork is different from the one you have with the original artwork snapper case. I had that one too .

10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Thanks guys! I will have to grab that one since I don't see the blu on the horizon soon.

11. maybrick

No capablility to zoom in on your set? Pity.

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

My favorite Peter Straub novel.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I watched it for the first time in October and loved it. Effective and engaging.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's been a while since I read the novel/saw the movie. As in, on its theatrical run. So I guess we're talking 32 years.

But I do remember being majorly disappointed by the movie, after reading the book. Maybe this is one that's ripe for remaking? Although I remember that the novel was pretty sprawling, and I don't think there was any way to make a film that included all the elements from the book.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I love it - great atmosphere and makeup, Alice Kriege is awesome, and Craig Wasson's full frontal gets me every time. One of my favourites ghost movies, and I'd gladly upgrade to blu.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

He might have a weird TV set like mine.
    On my BD player hooked up with HDMI, I get 2 zoom options, but none of them un-squish non-anamorphic dvds. On my region free dvd player hooked up with component, I get the 3rd zoom option which does allow me to "full screen" non-anamorphic dvds without the horizontal squish. Sucks I can't do it on the BD player to get some upscale with it, but that's just how my TV is. Thankfully I have a working fix, even if it requires a second player.

17. maybrick

My old Philips had that problem, but my Panasonic doesn't. With the Philips I did what you do, connect a secondary player to an analog av input. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that I didn't really have to upgrade every last nonanamorphic disc if I didn't want to.

18. maybrick

After many, many years I finally got around to reading the novel (literally started it 2 years ago, got 150 pages into it and then picked it up again last week). I enjoyed it, and true to what I've heard it is very different than the film. I'm actuallly glad that I saw the movie first because I could enjoy it on its own terms. It's easy to see after reading this why Stephen King and Peter Straub choose to collaborate from time to time. They seem to inspire each other a lot. Ghost Story was clearly influenced by Salem's Lot in a major way, but I also see how Ghost Story also very likely influenced IT. Pennywise and Alma Mobley/Eva Galli could almost be the same race of beings.

19. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Yes, that's the problem for me. The book is fantastic and the movie captures very little of that.

Copyboy likes this.
  20. maybrick

I think the movie did a fair job at capturing the essence. Adaptations always run into problems and suffer when they try to compress too many plot points and ideas into a 90-120 minute time slot. To do the story justice it would have had to have been a 2 1/2 to 3 hour film. Extended run times like that are the norm now, but that kind of thing just didn’t happen for horror movies back in 1981. Maybe The Shining, but few people had the pull of Kubrick (also worth noting that that film is probably even less like the source novel than Ghost Story is).