Any must have have Italian discs?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by killit, May 13, 2015.

1. killit

killit Active Member

I have to place a heavy amazon.it order fro my turntable, pretty cheap to through on some br's, Though aside from the botched suspiria O can't think of any Italian blus that I need to get.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I was looking at getting the Ilsa Harem Keeper blu but when the shipping was factored in it wasn't worth it.

3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The Cinekult release of Dellamorte Dellamore is decent iirc + it's ~$11 before shipping. Not sure how "must have" I consider this movie, but if you like it...

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Cemetery Man and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid are the only ones from Italy that I have in my collection. I have the uncut version of Malena as well, though that is only available from South Korea for some strange reason.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I have that Blu-ray too. What a beautiful presentation on the release. Did you get the limited version or just the plain Blu.

The limited version has like a digi-book foldout with both the Blu and a DVD copy. Plus it even has an additional regular Blu "case". So instead if you want to store the Blu in that single snap case, I guess.

Here's an unboxing of the Blu on youtube. (some guy, not me. Funny the guy says he never seen the movie & it was a blind buy. He's in for a treat!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYhYS_CD2o

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have the regular version. I was very pleased as well. Ms. Bellucci was spectacular in her prime.

7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Are you pleased with the KR BD? It doesn't look so good on caps-a-holic but at least its uncut. I'm torn on which BD to buy.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The UK Blu looks much darker than the KR. As if the lights are dimmed, with a hint of blue tint. And the detail is better, or should I say you can see more in the KR imo. It's as if they are using 2 different light filters. The KR version feels more like an old Italian film imho. More "earthier" tones, like a spaghetti western.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Appreciate it. Got it ordered.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Now the Blu is being reviewed against dvds, but there are some more shots of the quality. The reviewer here seemed kinda on the fence about the brighter lighting.

Like the shots of the boys with the beach water in the background. On the Blu the middle of the screen gets hit with the sun, but the actors on the screen detail is great. You can see how the other dvds there is some sort of filter to block out the suns reflection. But the guys all look much darker.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/malena.htm

Bottom line it's really what you appeals more to ones taste. Its not the KR quality is inferior, imo its just a "brighter" picture. Plus of course it's uncut.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

All in all, I was very impressed with the quality.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

My concern was that in some the screenshots a lot of detail is lost due to the brightness. Check out the book in the pile of rubble. If you think it looks good in motion that's all the matters. I'm not buying it to make screenshots and I'd rather have it uncut.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see what your saying there. The book's print is washed out. Not like you can read the print on the UK version, but you can definitely see that there is print there.

Let's put it this way. The light can't hurt in those much darker ... cough , uncut scenes. :D

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thank you baggio. The South Korean Malena BD looks magnificent in motion. Even though it was my first viewing of MALENA it's obvious that the BD is colored the way the film was intended. The more natural colors of the UK BD would have taken a bit away from the film. There is nothing to be gained from seeing a bit more detail in the outdoor scenes. Those that are dismissing the South Korean BD because of the colors and slight loss of detail are getting caught up in things that don't matter. The South Korean BD is the way to see this film and is a breathtaking presentation.

The film is one the funnest I've seen in a long time. It's instantly an all-time favorite and I can see revisiting it often.