Any news about Night School from Warner Archive Collection?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DanceEnergy24, May 13, 2011.

1. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Just got my copy of NIGHT SCHOOL yesterday and the remastering is a MUCH improvement over the Key Video VHS release. Warner was nice enough to include the original theatrical trailer too.

2. Stige

Stige Active Member

keeping an eye on DDD and amazon then , at least I can get it in Norway

3. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Ordered mine. I guess I'm just waiting on New Year's Evil now for 80's slashers I've heard of, but not released on dvd/blu-ray.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

New Year's Evil is available on Netflix streaming.

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Is something that streams on Netflix or airing on cable a precursor to a DVD release? Just curious.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Nope. Same with movies on iTunes. You can watch Phobia (1980) but no DVD release in sight.

~Matt

7. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Wow that was fast. I got my dvds today.

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Wow, this one was a pleasant surprise. I’ve never seen Night School before, so seeing it through the MOD program was my first experience, and what a good one it was. Night School felt more like a giallo than your standard formulaic slasher. There was a great killer, stylish murders, and the corny, albeit strange twist ending. I think the old Boston setting really gave way to that European giallo vibe. Great flick…the only thing I didn’t like was the tacked on “joke” ending in the car. It kind of felt out of place. They should have ended it with Eleanor walking away from the funeral accompanied with that real atmospheric piano tune. Great flick.

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

The only thing I didn't like was the murder in the aquarium. Man, that girl churned out some embarassingly bad acting! The slasher couldn't kill her fast enough for me. Other than that, I consider Night School an enjoyable middleground slasher with a fun twist. It's not up there with The Burning, Madman, The Funhouse, Hell Night, The House on Sorority Row, The Prowler, My Bloody Valentine, Terror Train, or Prom Night, and it's certainly a far cry from Black Christmas, Halloween, and Friday the 13th. Those have something in terms of style, atmosphere, scare factor, gore, or simply iconic status that I found myself wanting in Night School. But it does do some novel things with the slasher formula. The killer's rationalisation near the end is a hoot, not least thanks to the deadpan delivery. Also fun is the "where will the head turn up?" gag in the cafeteria.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Can someone burn this for me? No way am I paying $30 for a DVD-R.

~Matt

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Please don´t spoil the fun of someone who never saw this and is going to watch this for the first time... I´m not talking about me, but many users in didn´t saw this yet...

I now it´s kind of complicated in a forum where we come to discuss movies not to mention certain thing but other this are just a giveaway...

When commenting about something that may be a spoiler, use these tags:
    INSERT SPOILERS HERE [/ spoiler] < Remove the 'space' between the '/' and 'spoiler'.

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I thought the aquarium scene was one of the best scenes in the film! I thought the girl's acting was charming.

13. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

It's $14.99 on amazon.ca.

Also, I find this bandwagoning on the 'I hate DVD-R' train a bit excessive. Yes, it's a DVD-R...but aside from a few short cuts to get this being released, it may as well be a DVD.

14. Kim Bruun

Please... For my part, a spoiler would be if I had actually said WHERE the head turned up. Mentioning the the movie contains this scenario doesn't give much away. If anything, it gives fellow members and idea of what kind of movie it is - i.e. one with a subtly dark sense of humour. If we can't discuss the contents of a movie, what would the point of the forum be? Statements like "this movie was great" or "this movie was awful" are utterly worthless without any elaboration. Again, if I had actually mentioned where the head turned up, I wwould have put it in a spoiler.

15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Seen this on the movie channel in spring of 83.. and thought it was slow then. but a few interesting kills. Maybe i can give it another chance. i was only 10 when i saw it then.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I was not pointing no one in particular... I just mentioned those two posts as an example.

Sorry I you felt I was pointing the finger at anyone. I just quoted you as you mentioned a murder in an aquarium but, as I stated, I just quoted as an example.

17. Kim Bruun

I kinda took offense because I try not to give away the nature of the twists that a given movie has. However, mentioning that one murder takes place in an aquarium hardly gives anything away. From the very first frame of that scene, it is obvious that we are dealing with a non-character with one specific function. It's very much like referring to "the sleeping bag murder" in that Friday the 13th sequel. ;)

18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Please, don´t be offended... like Isaid, was just an example.

19. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I received mine today! I can finally retire my old Warner VHS which I actually bought brand new on amazon close to ten years ago. Does anyone know if this movie had to be edited for the R-rating? Some of the kills look like they could be missing a few seconds of extra gore footage.

20. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I like this one, (again, more as a Giallo than a slasher),but have always found it too dry for my tastes,where blood is concerned. Though I am a fan of film gore,I don't feel every horror movie has to be loaded with buckets of it to be a quality offering...but it does help liven up some pretty standard set pieces. I like Rachel Ward's work,(she is awesome in the cult TV teacher-trapped-with-brats epic, "Fortress"),so her appearance is enough to make me give the VHS a go every year or so.