Any one getting Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rp108, Jul 19, 2008.

1. rp108

rp108 Guest

I have been debating on this for awhile since the announcement. The DVD looks pretty damn good and considering it was shot on 16mm I am not sure what Blu-ray could do. I am actually worried it will look worse because the films grain will be much more apprarent unless the use DNR I suppose.

2. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I'll get it. Even if it's just to support the release of films like TCM in high-def format. But I think it'll probably be worth the upgrade.

3. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I will most likely pick it up. It is pre-ordering dirt cheap (under $10 at least one online retailer)....and I have bought it in so many forms already...whats one more gonna hurt?

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Again, it's not what HD can do for the sharpness that's necessarily important here for these older releases - it's the color. Dark Sky's previous release was a beaut when it came to saturation, and I bet this Blu-ray transfer is going to be the benchmark when it comes to vintage horror on DVD.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I have all 3 DVD releases, why would I skip this one? :p

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i may get it not sure yet though there is plenty of other releases that i want more that comes out in september and october

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'll be snatching this up on blu-ray. Just met Tobe Hooper today by the way. Very laid back and cool guy. Was a pleasure.

[​IMG]

8. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Definitely a purchase. I'm anxious to see how it looks in hi-def.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Man, that last DVD release looks amazing. I actually wasn't going to waste the money and upgrade from my old Pioneer DVD, but I had the good fortune to find a used copy for $5, so I picked it up and can't believe how good it looks!

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Awesome movie. Will probably re-buy it. Hopefully it comes in a sweet metal case again!

Actually, has anyone noticed or been disappointed by the lack of sweet sets for Blu Ray. Is that what people want, plain small cases that look the same together. Personally I liked all the cool limited edition sets that I have on DVD, and have been disappointed that when I replace one on Blu Ray is is lacking the cool case. Not a huge deal but I hate the look of Blu Ray cases. They are cheaper and more flimsy then standard DVD cases, and the Blu casing takes up half the cover. Anyways, completely unrelated to Texas Chainsaw Massacre I guess, but anyone feel the same?

11. rp108

rp108 Guest

Wow, very cool. Where did you meet him?

12. rp108

rp108 Guest

Where are you finding it for under $10???? I usually go to amazon and its listed there for $19.95. If I could pre-order it for $10 I wouldnt even think twice about it. :)

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I know I do, for one. The lousy cases are one of the reasons why I won't be upgrading to blu-ray unless forced.

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Met him at this past weekend's Motor City Nightmares convention. I had him autograph my TCM steelbook along with Caroline Williams on TCM 2 Gruesome Edition. Caroline was a real sweetheart and seemed genuinely excited to meet the fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

RP108,
    A good HD transfer will usually look better then even the best of DVD transfers no matter the source material. It won't show extra grain over the DVD it will only have what was in the film to begin with. I don't have the new shinny version on DVD so I haven't seen that transfer but one of the things I have found, especially with a large screen (106") is that BLu (Or any good HD transfer) will capture the feel of the film better. Sure there are some things that can come off almost video like in HD but a good film should come off as being Filmlike.

I love the transfer for Army Of Darkness on HD-DVD because it feels like you are watching a film. One thing I have noticed is that movies that tend to be a bit on the grainy side actually look better in HD because the grain doesn't seem to creep and come alive as it sometimes does with DVDs because of the increased resolution.

The color palette in HD is way better as well.

To put it in a simple way, I have built a decent theater room and I have found that Blu (or HD-DVD) is able to do a much better job of recreating that movie theater experience especially on this type of movie.

Max

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

You bet your sweet ass I am. Two reasons. 1. I'm sure it'll be an improvement over the previous release. 2. Anything to help raise blu-ray sales and encourage more genre releases.

17. rp108

rp108 Guest

Man, that is really great! That must of been cool as hell meeting Caroline Williams. I have listened to the TCM 2 commentary and she sounds like she is really down to earth and very cool.

18. rp108

rp108 Guest

Agree that Army Of Darkness looked amazing on HD DVD but I have to disagree that film grain is less noticable than DVD. I think what most people are considering "grain" on DVD is really compression issues. By the way, I am not one who wants every film to look the same in HD but I dont want another Blu-ray like Evil Dead 2.

19. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

TCM on Blu-ray is already shipping at Tower.com. My copy shipped yesterday (Friday, Sept. 12th) via Next Day shipping. I was hoping the "Can't Hardly Wait" 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray and DVD would be shipping now too, but no suck luck. It's listed as pre-order and will most likely not ship until release date, Sept. 30th.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I've only ever owned the original Pioneer DVD release, so this was an instant pre-order for me.