any plans for a BLIND DEAD blu-ray release?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Chaostar, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Not sure I agree. But I felt like Ghost Galleon's effects (The miniatures, specifically) and setting really dropped it a rung.

I like Seagulls a lot, surprisingly.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You're the 2nd person who's told me about Seagulls. That's the only one I haven't seen; I felt it was probably best to just write it off completely unseen after Return and Galleon were so awful. (I was willing to buy it when it was $6 but Blue Underground raised the Amazon price to $8 and that's where I draw the line.) Guess I'll just have to always wonder.

Effects and setting? You may have a point there. Characters and story? Holy shit, is this not where Return lays a giant bomb straight from the toilet...

Angelman likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The sequels are really an acquired taste. The first time you see some of them, they may seem horribly bad, but on repeat viewings they do start to grow on you. Or... at least that was how it was with me.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

I gave the first film the same doubt-benefit and years for my outlook to change. Nothing ever did. I'm not so sure I should even be lenient on that first film but it had some style to it. I fully admit that I don't have a lot of room for forgiveness when it comes to things like pointless sleaze and these films love their tacked-on rape and female body mutilation just... 'cause / because it's expected. Etc. (Women very seldom tend to write these narratives themselves.)

Life is just a bit too short these days and while these films may have floated to the top of the Spanish horror barrel, I just don't need more rape in my horror and I think I spent those forgiveness points anyway on Bava's Shock and Lisa and the Devil. Both of which are in a vastly different league. (Better.)

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I remember liking the boat set in Ghost Galleon. I remember it being pretty atmospheric. The atmosphere has always been the best part of these films anyway...

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I keep penciling in the series for October and then scratching them off, so I haven't seen them in something like a decade. So take this as you will:

Seagulls is the unsung gem of the series. It's kinda like they realized, "Hey they'll pay us to make anything at this point, so let's try to make something good this time!" It's not The Wicker Man or anything, but it has some good ideas and solid executions.

But Ghost Galleon is a favorite of mine. It's like a live action Scooby-Doo caper with bikini models on true blue rotten wood-deck ghost ship! Plus it's not the local business man behind a rubber mask! I'll admit there's zero competition in that genre so it's both thee worst and thee best. But it's still fun.

When it comes to putting skeletons on horses and having them ride around, the series just can't be beat even with all its flaws. And I'll admit I enjoy some of those flaws as is along with the exploitative elements. A few scenes can be mean spirited, but never do I feel like it's saying these elements are positives.

Angelman likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I love/like them all but feel the first sequel is the best of the franchise and the most rewatchable.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

Return bites.

Agreed. (And the music.) (And the zooms.)

But the first movie (of those I've seen), which was just okay, had the best balance. (Or, had the only almost-strong balance.)