Any thoughts on "FINAL EXAM"?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by WesReviews, Sep 11, 2001.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I've never seen it, but I've heard about it at various websites. Some say it's not bad, others really don't care for this slasher all that much. What do you all say about FINAL EXAM?

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Final Exam...

...is a sorry excuse for a slasher. poorly directed and acted, no gore whatsover. it's kinda like a tv-movie, boring as hell.:mad:

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I hope you don't mind rhett! :D

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

That message was posted on 9/11, around the same time the buildings went down too. So America is up in smoke and you are busy bashing Final Exam. :D

Final Exam is awesome, one of my favorite slashers.

5. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Decent characters too!

This one actually has actors that you care about making it much more involving - yeah I dug it if a little too "Halloween". I love how it kicks in also - definitely from the "golden age" of slashers!

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Word up Joel, you're my new best friend! :)

This film has to be the best cheese slasher to come out in the early 80's. The "Wildman" and his pranks are classic. I am into the 80's teen movies like Porky's and Spring Break and FE combined some of the great pranks from those films with the plot of Halloween to make a rip-off with some comedy to get through the traditionally dull midsection of most slasher films.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I remember posting before I knew anything about the terror act?
    Sad times.

Last edited: May 23, 2002
  8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, it is very sad that you don't enjoy Final Exam. :)

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I do enjoy bashing Final Exam. :D

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I e-mailed MGM about releasing Final Exam with The Town That Dreaded Sundown as one of their Midnite Movies Double Features, as well as suggested other titles for Special Edition/Midnite Movies treatment.

They e-mailed me back and thanked me for the imput and also forwarded my suggestions to the higher-ups. So maybe we'll see something next year, regarding some of MGM's forgotten slashers also asked for Hospital Massacre and Killer Party to be released as a Double Feature).

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Cool news Wes, I hope that double feature materializes. The Town That Dreaded Sundown is great, too bad Ben Johnson was only in two slasher movies (this one and Terror Train), because it seems like every one he's in turns to gold!

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Hey, that's great Wes. I guess I would give FE another try if it should ever get a DVD release. :D

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I definitely want to pick this up if and when MGM will give it a proper release.

Those Midnite Movies (double features) can't have much in the way of extras. What are some of the extras on the upcoming releases?

14. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Final Exam is good

I thought final exam was a pretty good movie, I just picked it up the other day at a used video store. sure it copied from Halloween and Friday the 13th, but still it was entertaining. If you can find a used copy on video it would be worth picking up, it's been out of print for a long time though so it might be hard to find, I think I just lucked out in finding my copy. Although if it might come out on dvd anytime soon it might be worth waiting for that, but right now I don't think there's any plans to release it on dvd

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Final Exam is surprisingly well-made - the photography is slick and the actors are pretty decent (the actress who plays Lisa is quite good) the direction may be a tad pedestrian and there is little visual style on display, but Final Exam entertains...and sticks to its slasher roots almost by the numbers. Why, I'll never forget seeing this on my birthday when it came out...it played a double bill with Prom Night at an indoor theater at out local mall (yes, it played double bills on opening day). There were 5 people in the theater for the 5:00-ish show and another ten people for Prom Night - pretty slow for a Friday evening, but Prom Night had already played cable and regular TV by then (yeah, a mere seven months after it came out!!!). When we stepped out, there was a line clear down back to the ticket booth for Final Exam's late show and mostly of college kids...how I wished I had watched it with them. Slashers, school campuses and screaming heroines...it was a perfect, warm July night.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

That sounds like it would have been awesome Wago. I wish we had some vintage theaters here that still played double bills and drive-in flicks.

For a slasher, Final Exam is technically well made, and the rest is pure cheese. Nothing to take seriously, just a fun little diversion.

17. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well, through a little investigation I've been conducting as to who owns what slashers that have yet to be released on DVD, one thing I have discovered is that FINAL EXAM is not owned by MGM.

This is pretty disappointing, as I was hoping we'd someday get a big slashers batch from MGM.

My source says he suspects that the producers probably got the rights back at some point.

The good news is, with the producers owning it, it would make it fair game for Blue Underground or Anchor Bay. So, just why has no one made a move to release this slasher fave?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

That sucks. Oh well, MGM still owns plenty of other slashers I'm dying for, so hopefully the slasher line I suggested will materialize this Fall. Final Exam is a great little slasher, definitely one of my favorites. I love the campus atmosphere in this film, don't know why, I just do. The film is a bit creepy, and loads of fun. I really like the way they made the killer as well. Hopefully this will see the light of day on DVD soon.

19. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Finally watched my copy of Final Exam...

LOVED IT.

It does run a little long at first. Timing things, after the first two killings happen at the beginning, the next killing doesn't occur until after th 55-minute mark.

However, after that 55 or so minute mark, the killings happen so frequently and were so impressively-done that I didn't mind. The film actually managed to pull off some good suspense toward the end.

Oh, and the hour before things really gets going alows for some humor, as well as nice character moments. You really get to spend time with this cast, and once they are killed, you feel for them.

Very nice little slasher, this one. :)

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Finally watched this again and...

Final Exam no longer sucks. There, I said it.

Actually, it was pretty damn good. Technically, I suppose, the film is awful and lacks even the rudimentary characteristics of a good slasher film; so sue me. I really enjoyed this movie! So what if we never find out the identity of the killer or what his motivation is; the same is true about Black Christmas and that is considered a CLASSIC of the genre (and it is). So what if the first 80 minutes of Final Exam are filled with what John Stanley referred to as "idle chatter designed as character development", and so what if the last ten minutes are when the whole "stalker on the loose" theme comes to a head. It is a fun movie, no matter how hard it is for me to admit that. I'm glad I own the VHS, but I hope it never ever hits DVD so I'll have at least ONE valuable VHS tape. ;)

I'm not always so forgiving. There are some slashers that I will NEVER take the time to watch again (The Prey, anyone?).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006