Any thoughts on "FINAL EXAM"?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by WesReviews, Sep 11, 2001.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It's written by Geoffrey Meyer. Sorry - just saw this! Good hunting! My copy is pretty shabby - I need a new one...but I've not seen this anyplace since I bought it in 1981!:confused:
    Radish is really in love with Courtney! I find that hard to believe in the movie version...

2. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

Imo Final Exam pales next to the Mutilator.

3. wago70

It's a matter of opinion...MUTILATOR was okay but arrived a bit late. I saw FINAL EXAM in theaters on July 10, 1981. I saw MUTILATOR sometime in early '86 (upon recognizing it as the opening credits rolled as a film once called FALL BREAK as seen in Fangoria Magazine). To me, MUTILATOR was too much, too late. FINAL EXAM wasn't the most exciting movie...even I yawned a little hoping the feature would finish so I could see the 2nd feature (PROM NIGHT). I suppose I appreciate both now...with a decided preference for the 1981 FINAL EXAM.

4. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

I remember seeing the VHS artwork for Final Exam and getting all excited then the movie was a snoozefest...one of the worst slashers I've seen from that time period...hell it really isn't even a slasher, lets call it a SNOOZER!

5. wago70

Hehehe - for an R-rated slasher, there's also a lack of effects. Looking at it, it's a well-made film - very nicely photograped. I've always liked the campus location, too. Almost didn't recognize Sherry Willis-Burch who went on to play jokester "Vivia" in KILLER PARTY.
    The paperback actually fleshes the characters more. I don't recall a backstory to the killer, either.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I HATED Final Exam the first time I watched it, but I watched it again and I actually like it now. Once I knew what to expect -- endless chatter, lack of suspense, bloodless killings, random killer -- it didn't bother me so much. It's not one of the great slashers, but I think it's fun and kind of charming in its own way.

7. wago70

After the effects-laden and shock-inducing FRIDAY THE 13TH, why would any self-respecting low-budget slasher try to go for HALLOWEEN's more subtle nuances????? Especially without the skill of John Carpenter or without charismatic young actors and a tight script?
    Oh well. I wouldn't have even noticed the feature had it not been on Sneak Previews as a Dog-of-the-Week. The camera panned over the one-sheet poster and I was intrigued. Had to wait a few months for the film to reach Reno, but what-the-hey.

8. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

I liked the last 20 minutes of Final Exam, the rest is boring imo.

9. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I liked FInal Exam and even own the movie poster,sdtk. LP,Aus. daybill,etc. Well made little slasher film lightyears ahead of the dreck being peddled today like the Camp Blood terribleness. Give me Final Exam anyday. Anyone character with a Corpse Grinders poster on his wall is okay in my book.