Anybody looking forward to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village???

Discussion in 'General' started by moogong, May 6, 2004.

1. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I really liked his past movies so I have high hopes for this. I know a few people didnt like Signs but I thought it was pretty good. I just hope he does not get stuck doing the same movie and over again.

http://movieweb.com/movies/film.php?1000

2. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I didnt like any of his previous efforts, and I have mixed reviews for this trailer as well, looks like Signs all over again (strange beings attacking, people hiding out in dimly lit attics/cellars.)

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

This looks good. I have enjoyed all of Shyamalon's films pretty much. Gonna catch it opening night I think.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Unbreakable was ok and 6th Sense was great, nevrer seen Signs but I would imagine that this one will be at least as good as his last.

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

after Signs.. i'm kinda hesitant.. the trailer looks good but i was suckered in like that before.. think i'll wait to see what everyone else has to say.. either way i'm sure i'll catch it on rental

6. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

I didn't like Signs. Hope it isn't too much like that.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Unbreakable was really good and 6th sense was decent, but Signs was a huge let down for me. I don't hold out much hope for this release, it seems everyone out side the horror/sci-fi genre like Signs and everyone likes Sixth Sense, pushing Unbreakable out of the lime light so I don't expect Night to do anything like that again.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I loved his first 2, especially Unbreakable, but didn't care for Signs much at all. I am, however looking forward to this one. I hope he's made another winner!!

9. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Signs sucked, but I LOVE The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

10. Puffbud

Puffbud Guest

I'm eagerly awaiting the 4th Shyamalan flick he's 3 For 3 so far I thought Signs was definitley the weakest of the three but still an enjoyable movie, 6th Sense was incredible the first time I saw it, I was truly stunned, but as far as repeat viewing I think Unbreakable is the best of the three

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I'd give it a chance. Sixth Sense is, well the Sixth Sense - extremely effective at least one time around, and an enjoyable ride. Unbreakable was terrific I think, it was different, and I need to revisit it.

Signs.... I still own this turkey. It was a horrible film, I didn't enjoy much about it at all - from the casting to lame script. Signs was as bad as Unbreakable was good.

So, he's 2 out of 3 for me, I'd therefore give this a shot.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Definately looking forward to this. Signs was brilliant - I love its low key atmosphere, even if some of the plot aspects were weak. I thought the underlying message was well thought out and the acting was solid. I should mention that the first time I saw this, I had just come out of surgery so I was pretty doped up. I guess that might have made me more accepting of the film, but I've since watched it again and still find it to be a solid flick.

13. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

I for one am looking forward to it, and I didn't think Signs was horrible......it was possibly the weakest of his films though.

When the hell is that new Wes Craven movie coming out?? :banana:

14. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

I thought Signs was pretty cool. It kinda falls a apart really quick but it had a good thing going for a while.

The Village should be cool too.

15. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

Before Signs, i wouldn't even consider seeing his new movie (I absolutely HATED the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable), but i'll give the Village a watch.

16. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I'm torn on this one. The only Shamalamadingdong movies I've seen are Sixth Sense and Signs. I liked Sixth Sense (but you can really only watch it one time), Signs, not so much. I heard Unbreakable was really good. The trailer does look intriguing though...

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Unbreakable and Signs are both truly excellent films, and The Sixth Sense is good, but overrated, and not great. I'm definitely looking forward to The Village despite hearing some bad things about the script. I'm hoping he'll deliver another great film with this one.

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

At one of the other boards I frequent, I ran across the rumored ending to this film, and if its the ending they're gonna use, its going to be one of the biggest cop out endings ever committed to celluloid. I'll put the ending in spoilers here for anyone interested:

The Village doesn't really take place in 1897; it's modern-day. All the villagers have been tricked and lied to by the elders. They pretend there are creatures so that no one will leave the village. In the end, a black person sees one of them and they're completely shocked by the modern world. He drives off and says "crazy fucking white people."

Its been said that the ending leaked onto the Internet, and thus the company is doing reshoots. Who knows though, but if that is in fact the ending, its a fucking joke. Hopefully its just a rumor, but from what I've heard, I sorta doubt that. Guess we'll see.

19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Hated Signs. Hated it because I thought so highly of him. Unbreakable is a masterpiece. Rythm, athmospheare, symbolisms, finale, performances, everything is perfect. 6th Sense is of course very good. But Signs was.... Anyway. I really hope this new film of his is good.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I really can't stand his work. Yes, if kids whisper something stupid, it's scary. That may not be fair, but for the most part the marketing has ruined all of his movies for me except Unbreakable...

"I see dead people."

"There's a monster outside my door, can I have a glass of water?"

"Don't let them in!"

Oh my god, it throws me into a rage, it really does. Promos like that make me rant and rave for an hour or more. It makes me appreciate Stephen Sommers more and more.