Anyone buy the Val Lewton box set

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Geez I am beging to wonder if I am the only person that buys dvds on the day of release. Did anyone buy this? So far I have watched the documentary and was very impressed. Val Lewton hands down is the greatest Horror producer of all time!!!!!!!!!!

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Money is unfortunately an issue these days HF, or else I'd be right there with you on this one. I've wanted the original Cat People since dvds first came out, and I'm very interested in Lewton's other films.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I have it.But have yet to watch anything yet.I have a huge stack of new releases that I am slowly working my way through.I might Work my way through it this weekend though.At any rate I cant wait.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It looks like the release date in Canada had been pushed to the 18th. So I guess my Amazon.ca pre order has a couple of weeks wait yet.

5. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I got it today as well. On top of the Lugosi and Hammer boxes that came out in the past couple weeks, I'll be very busy. Been packing up my house in anticipation of a move, so I've not had the time to crack into any of them yet.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Amen. The closing I was counting on this month fell through and I have nothing else lined up as of yet. :( I have cancelled all pre-orders through November in hopes I can kick in some business.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the set or not. I really have no idea about these films, but I know Fulci said that Zombie owed more to I Walked With a Zombie than Dawn of the Dead, I surely want it. That and because I want all zombie movies, if it's half as good as White Zombie, it'll be worth it.

8. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

I picked up the Lewton set yesterday myself. So far I've gone through "Cat People", "Curse of the Cat People", and partially through "I Walked with a Zombie". Excellent films I'm just getting through for the first time, and while I plunked 60 bucks at Best Buy as opposed to DDD as I normally would (I had to have the instant gratification), it's still well worth the price.
    Between the Lugosi set (which I also have), and the Hammer set, I gotta give props to WB Home Video in their classic horror releases. Now I'm biding my time for the Uber '33 King Kong DVD set in Nov.or Dec.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Curse of the Cat People is #5 in my all-time favorite list. I'm getting this but probably closer to Christmas. I have to jump on so many DVDs while I have the money. Oy! What a year!!!!!

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Do you mean in comparison to Universal who put out the Lugosi set and the recent Hammer set? I got mine in the mail yesterday, I'll be watching it this weekend. Right now I'm just starting to go through my Legacy sets.

11. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Hey Ol-boo if your a classic horror fan these are essential to your collection. You won't find better atmospheric horror anywhere else than in the val lewton Collection.

12. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

Doh! Good call, X-Human. Das what I said, "boobie-trap"!

13. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Tonight I watched I walked with a Zombie and The Body Snatcher. Let me tell you now Body Snatcher is Boris Karloff's best film!!!!!!!! You have to see this gem.

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I will sound like a heretic here, but I watched the first disc and Cat People didn't do much for me. Curse was much better, but is of course in no way a horror film. I will be putting in Leopard man and ghost ship next. I am saving the karloff movies for last.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I can't wait to watch these! My best buddy bought this set for me out of the blue as a belated birthday gift. Great films - I'm saving both Cat People films for Halloween.

16. Noto

Noto Guest

Cat People was probably #1 on my 'all-time must get on DVD' list. Thanks to Warner's awesome set, I am a proud owner. I haven't had an opportunity to get to anything except Cat People, but the transfer is really good for something of its age. Only a couple of scenes have 'priest hat' effects and spotting. It definitely looks like WB did the best they could with the materials.

Can't wait to dig into the rest of the set.

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I really want Cat Woman but I wasn't sure about the rest of the set.

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I say get it without question. I have seen about half of them. Cat people, I Walked with a Zombie, Leopard Man and The Body Snatcher and all are were Excellent. So I have no worries about whether or not I will enjoy the other films.

Oh yeah and I don't think Cat Woman is near good enough or old enough to be included in this set:)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  19. zuvembie

zuvembie Member

My only exposure to Val Lewton was watching "I Walked with a Zombie" and "The Seventh Victim" on Turner Classic Movies. I liked what I saw and bought the box set. I've watched "Cat People" and "Zombie" and listened to the commentary tracks. "Cat People" definitely looks great, but "Zombie" is a little rough in spots. I doubt these movies will ever see a restoration on par with "Gone with the Wind" or "Ben Hur", so I'll be content with the tranfers given (in other words, I'm just happy to finally have all these movies in one place). The commentray on "Zombie" is great.

I am curious what others here might think about "The Seventh Victim." After I saw it on TCM, I was amazed that a movie like this was made in the 40s, plus it has Hugh Beaumont (aka Ward Cleaver). It's grim stuff and definitely ahead of it's time.

20. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Man, I just got the Lugosi set and the Hammer set, then I bought one of those four Fright Packs (Walking Dead)... Now THIS?! Oh man, I have too many sets to sift through.