Anyone buy the Val Lewton box set

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Damed

Damed Guest

I got this set for my birthday. Haven't had a chance to have a look yet though.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just finished watching the last of the 9 films contained in this box set last night. All I can say is that Val Lewton was an underrated giant in the genre. His films ranged from very good to masterpieces, not a bad film in the bunch IMO. Beaming with symbolism and artistry from his trademark creepy walks, singing and shadows to his perfectly constructed suspense scenes and familiar well used and well rounded characters. For anyone who thought horror was week in the 40's look no further then this set. Any horror collection not containing this set, isn't complete.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I let this sit on my shelf for ages before breaking it out, and it has to be the best blind buy of a box set I have made to date. I had never even heard of Val Lewton or any of these movies before this set was released, and that is sad because they range in quality from good to great and all deserve to be much better known.

My favorite two were The 7th Victim and The Curse of the Cat People. The 7th Victim was a truly amazing film which I watched once and then restarted immediately. Not many movies are that good. It made me almost giddy, like I couldn't believe how good it was. The Curse of the Cat People shocked the hell out of me by completely breaking the tone of the first one and delivering a sad and astute study of the pain of childhood. It was so smart and did so much in its 70 minute running time. It pierced my heart it did. Excellent, excellent movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I had the pleasure last night of seeing I Walked With A Zombie and The Spiral Staircase on the big screen. One of our local theatres is currently showing a Val Lewton film festival combined with film noir classics. All are presented as double features. Each Lewton film is paired up with a different film noir picture.

I missed Cat People and The Leopard Man. Next week is The Ghost Ship. The following week is Isle of the Dead. After that brings The Body Snatcher, The Seventh Victim, Bedlam, and Curse of the Cat People.

Going to try to catch as many as possible. Cannot miss Curse of the Cat People, The Seventh Victim, and The Body Snatcher (my favorite from Lewton).

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

The Ghost Ship I really liked, I feel it's probably Val Lewton's most underrated film, whether the unrelated Dark Castle Ghost Shit has sullied it's reputation or not. The Curse of the Cat People was a real pleasant surprise too, so beautiful and angelic - hardly horror at all!

6. studio1

studio1 Member

Just had a chance to dip into this set - I had seen only 2 of these in my youth, the cat people & ghost ship,the rest were a new experience for me.

Only watched curse of the cat people up to now - unbelievable!, photography was stunning, I love discovering new movies like this, that totally blow me away.

I agree totally with onebyone and rhett.

When I get time, I'll definately be watching the rest of this set.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just worked my way through 6 of the films and I must say Curse of the Cat People is probably one of the best films I've ever seen. It's a strange addition to the Cat People mythos and almost an entirely different creature of its own but I couldn't imagine it carrying the weight it has if you hadn't seen the previous film. I would really like to read the earlier drafts of the scripts, just to see the development but also because there were subplots edited out according to this article on TCM.

Someone pointed out that for 70 minutes is seems like much more time passed but in such a good way; time stops or like when you see your life flash before your eyes.

8. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

this is an amazing set, Curse Of The Cat People for me the standout film, probably because it's so different and feels very fresh even now, this was a blind buy, but one of the best ones i've made!

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I passed on this set when it came out (despite loving Cat People and Curse of the Cat People) - it was too expensive at the time... I think I'll have to see if it's still available...

10. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

You have GOT to purchase this somehow, an essential acquisition for any horror fan. I pre-ordered it and found myself sub-consciously wishing about three months of my life away! It was well worth it, absolute classics on every disc and the documentary on the last is both entertaining and informative. My horror and sci-fi film collection extends to over 1,600 dvds and none are more treasured than those in the Val Lewton set. Seek out - you won't be disappointed!