Anyone else hate movie theaters with waiters?

Discussion in 'General' started by Suicide, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of these theaters where waiters bring you food during the movie? I've never actually been to one, but this seems very distracting to me.

I'm traveling for work and I'm going to be in Winchester, VA, which has an Alamo Drafthouse. So I ordered a ticket for Spider-man, but then I realized it's one of these theaters and canceled my ticket. I know Alamo theaters are supposed to be the best, and I'm sure they're fine theaters, but it seems odd to me that Alamo has a Nazi-like stance against people talking in the theater, but then there are waiters constantly walking back and forth taking orders, then you gotta hear people clanging forks against plates as they eat. For me this is just as distracting as someone talking. In my experience, when people talk during a movie it's usually a few sentences here and there, these waiters walk around the whole time.

I guess I'm not the target audience for this kind of theater, I personally don't like to eat or drink anything while in a movie theater anyway. If I'm hungry I'll eat before, or after, never during a movie. But if I did I would still find waiters really distracting.

Kim Bruun and m@ggot like this.
  2. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

I'd rather go out to eat before or after the movie...with the exception of popcorn/candy/soda/water/slushie ...slushie being my usual go-to...

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Oh man......... do me a favor......PLEASE do me a massive favor and rebuy that ticket. You need to experience the Alamo Draft House. It's one of my favorite places on Earth.

So here's the deal with the waiters. There is no verbal communication with them during the movie. If you want a drink or something to eat, there's a stack of pieces of paper and a pen in front of you. You write down what you want, stick it upright in this deal they have on the counter in front of you and they come and grab it like a fucking ninja. Leave your debit/credit card with them and you literally won't have to verbally interact with them at all. Distracting it is not........awesome it is indeed. But what I normally do is get there early, order my food at the bar before going in the theater, you tell them your seat number and boom. I also then tell them keep whatever brew I'm on that particular day coming.

Make sure to check out their calendar too because they're most likely showing a badass older feature that week you'll want to revist while you're in town.

You'll thank me, I promise.

OH and their menu consist of burgers and sandwiches and shit......no forks hitting plates I promise. I've been to the Alamo 7-8 times, never once was someone else's dinner distracting to me. The one in Houston has this grilled cheese sandwich with apple slices and some amazing sauce........incredible. I get it every time.

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Well, it turns out getting a refund on a ticket is a pain in the ass anyway, so I'll probably just end up going. Can't look up information from Drafthouse.com orders? Isn't that their own site? Anyway, probably going to go. Aren't the waiters constantly walking in front of you to give someone food or drinks? Am I going to have to move my legs every time this happens? I realize I'm sounding a bit like a psycho here, but I'm very easily distracted and annoyed, and I don't want to have to force myself to make it through a 2+ hour movie being irritated the whole time.

They are actually showing the new 4K AGFA print of The Zodiac Killer there, but it's two days before I go there.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Maybe all the waiters are, like, really really small?

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

How Things Work (The how, what and why of the Drafthouse experience): https://drafthouse.com/dfw/about/how-things-work

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The theaters here serve beer, but not food. You have to go to the lobby to get it though.

Speaking of theaters, I just got back from seeing Baby Driver. LOVED it! Go see it!

Planning to see The Beguiled this weekend as well.

8. Natas

Each row literally has their own counter space in front of you with an aisle in between. No waiter will interrupt you for the entire duration.

No other theater chain has gone further lengths to improve the experience of the movie going public.......the ADH sets the bar, my friend.

I'll take it up a notch........go to the Alamo and if you don't enjoy yourself, I'll send you a horror blu ray on me. Got a deal? Win, win....... I'm very confident you'll leave that place with a smile.

fattyjoe37 and satans-sadists like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Our local Alamo Drafthouse has been open for seven months now. We love it so much that we almost dread the thought of going to another theater. Speaking of another theater...Alamo Drafthouse is expanding in Phoenix. A second theater is opening this winter in the East Valley.

fattyjoe37 and Natas like this.
  10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Deal:D A friend of mine who is equally annoyed by stuff went to a similar theater with waiters and said he had to see people's heads back and forth in front of him the whole time and that it ruined the movie. I looked at a few Alamo pictures, is the aisle in front of the counter lower than where your feet are?

Natas likes this.
  11. Natas

Word!

Yes, at least at the one I frequent. The counters are about eye level to someone walking in the aisle.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've been to the Alamo in Ashbourne VA., and, just like Natas said, they are very professional and not disruptive.Also, if you want to place an order DURING the film there are tiny lights UNDER the countertop there (so they won't shine in peoples eyes) that you can use to look at the menu .I liked it a lot, the food was good too.

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

What? You Americans can't even sit through a movie without eating a full meal? I don't mind the no talking policy, but I think all the commotion of waiters slipping back and forth, people chewing, etc. would be distracting for me. Heck, I don't even eat at my own place when I'm watching a movie - stuffing my face won't help me immerse myself into the movie. At most a soft drink and some light snacks.

But... If I ever visit the States and get the chance, I'll try it once. I'm sceptical but curious. One thing: Say one of the girls in the middle needs to slip out for a wink at some point, how the heck does she get past the other audience members? Seems there's not a lot of space between the chairs and the counter.
    [​IMG]

m@ggot likes this.
  14. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Actually that wouldn't be my thing. Alamo would throw us out anyway. The hubby has to keep his cell phone on at all times because of his work. And honestly I am unsure if I would like to go to a theatre like that. Seems too confining. If I went to a place where they surrounded you with people having dinner while watching a movie I would get confused and be waiting at the popcorn machine for my luggage to pop out.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    m@ggot likes this.
  15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I haven't eaten or had a drink in a movie theater ever, outside of a couple of free popcorns I've gotten from the movie theater rewards programs. $15 + tip for a drink and a burger I have to eat in the dark while still trying to focus on a movie doesn't sound appealing to me at all. There are usually like 10-20 restaurants right near any given movie theater, I'll just go to one of those after. Plus I don't like to leave a theater once the movie starts, and I know if I eat dinner during a long-ass Marvel movie at some point I'm going to have to take care of some business.

At home I'll eat something sometimes, but if I'm about to eat dinner, I'll usually watch a Seinfeld episode or something and wait to start the movie until after I eat.

That is a good point, looks like everyone in the row would have to get up and stand on their seats to let someone out to use the bathroom.

Kim Bruun and m@ggot like this.
  16. Kim Bruun

Just looking at the picture gives me anxiety! Either you sit there, constantly aware of your bladder and totally unable to enjoy the movie - or you make a nuisance of yourself by making everyone get up, possibly tripping over one those crouching ninja waiters as you try to sneak out.

17. Natas

I think some of you are focusing waaaay too much on the food aspect. It's simply an option. The constant flow of beer or mixed drinks for the duration of the movie is the most appealing aspect to me. But the majority of the crowd will not be eating the whole movie lol
    I've been an ambassador of the Alamo since the first time I went to one 4 years ago. As avid movie fans, which we all are......you owe it to yourself to at least experience it once. Check out their calendar and catch an older flick of their "graveyard shift" series. Absolutely incredible, I'm telling you. I live 90 mins away and I've gone 7-8 times....that should tell you something right there.

satans-sadists and fattyjoe37 like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Alamo Drafthouse is the best movie theater I've ever been to. There's a unique 30 minute intro full of film/TV clips and trailers tailored specifically to the movie you're watching, there's never anyone talking or with their phones out, the food is great, and if you have to go to the bathroom, you use the aisle behind you that the waiters use which are wide enough for a person to walk down. The set up is similar to stadium seating. Each row and aisle between rows are lower than the one before it. You won't be seeing heads walking around.

satans-sadists likes this.
  19. Kim Bruun

So you climb over the back of your seat, or...? :confused:

20. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

There's space between seats. How would people even get into the seats in the first place if there was no space? The picture in this thread is from early 2008 when Semi-Pro came out. I was last in a Drafthouse in late 2015 and that's not the set up anymore. I've been to multiple locations around Austin and it's not an issue at all. And I'm someone who usually has to go during a movie (large soda lover combined with small bladder, I suppose).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Kim Bruun likes this.