Anyone else hate movie theaters with waiters?

Discussion in 'General' started by Suicide, Jul 1, 2017.

1. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

That said I think they're an incredible theater. It's just not me.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's not even the other people eating that's a real problem for me, it's eating something in total darkness while trying to pay attention to a movie. It's like the Seinfeld bit, I like to see what I'm eating. I don't even get when people buy anything more than candy/popcorn/soda at a theater. Pretzels and nachos are borderline. But hotdogs and chicken wings? No thank you. At best you can gobble down a hotdog during the previews.

We have a couple of really nice theaters in the suburbs that do that, and they show The Rocky Horror Picture Show every Saturday which I'm fairly familiar with but I found myself all too often missing some favorite parts of the movie wrestling with a burger. Or being unable to do the Time Warp justice with greasy hands. And this is obviously during a ruckus crowd so it's not just the audience distracting. So as much as I want to support these independent chains showing old movies, I also don't want to screw over the place by sending the wait staff home. So I'll leave my seat for someone else to purchase.

Recently I did go to see MST3k Reptilicus at the iPic which is a similar nation wide chain and does all the ordering before the movie. It was a real nice theater, great food and I didn't find the waiters distracting. But still I missed out on a lot of the riffing in order to eat. If I hadn't already seen the movie a few times before and then the MST3k version a couple more times on top of that I'd be pretty disappointed in the experience. iPic even has a restaurant area so I'm tempted to go back and just eat there because their food was damn good (their cheesy biscuits with honey butter at simply the greatest things on earth). With no intention of ever seeing a movie. (Hey, at least the restaurant staff get some work!)

So no, I don't care how ninja like the experience is. I like to sit down and totally lock into a movie. And I actively enjoy audience reactions. But I don't even like to eat during a movie at home, none the less pay to go out and do it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Hellbilly and zbinks like this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I love it. I love being able to order quality food and drinks (cocktails that I do not have to pause the film to make, with ingredients I may not have at home!) and have that shit brought directly to my seat. I generally do not order a full meal (for the reason X-H stated), but rather a snack and dessert plus a couple drinks. It's no more distracting to me than someone wrestling with a plastic wrapper around an overpriced candy bar.

Natas likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

There are other theater chains that offer the dine in feature besides Alamo.

AMC is one example. Theirs is very good. No waiter has to 'crouch down" either. He/she can stand fully upright and it wouldn't even block the person he's taking an order from. That's how well laid out their floor plan is. It's not so archaic as Alamo. They have call buttons, etc...

5. Workshed

So, did Suicide love his Alamo experience so much that he is still there? Where's the update, man???

Myron Breck likes this.
  6. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Not going until tomorrow, I forgot to mention what day it was going to be. I am in Winchester now though. The weather here is screwing me up so I'll be putting in pretty long work days - I'm working for the Google Street View team, so rain really ruins your day. Map for an hour, pull over until the rain stops, start again. I'll stretch a 8 hour shift into like 13 with all the waiting around, I might end up falling asleep during Spider-Man.

Still going to go and at least try it out.

Workshed likes this.
  7. Workshed

Excellent. Good thing: you can order a coffee to keep you awake!

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Alright this thing starts in about an hour, so I guess I'll actually be experiencing a movie theater with waiters pretty soon.

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Okay, pretty fun experience I'd say. They played a bunch of clips from the old Spider-Man show, and some from the Japanese show and Turkish Spider-man movie before that movie which were fun. I've seen this stuff before but I don't think a lot of the audience had judging by the reactions. It was a fun way to start the experience.

At first I did find the waiters incredibly distracting, but once the first 10 minutes of the movie were done they weren't nearly as distracting as I thought they'd be. They did mostly duck down and the girl for my row was really short to begin with. I was distracted a few times by the girl next to me crunching on nachos and occasionally repeating a line to her boyfriend, and some other chewing sounds, but the movie was entertaining enough to where it didn't totally make me lost focus. I still don't see the point in having dinner while watching a movie, and I didn't eat or drink anything myself, but I'm not as against the idea as I first was.

One problem was the seats are only about a foot behind the counter. I sat on the end seat of the back row (my usual seat) and every time new people joined the row I had to stand up and move to the side of my seat to let them in. Normal theater you bend your knees more and scooch back a bit and they can scoot by. The picture from the last page showed a little gap in the counter, not here. This counter was solid across a 20 seat row and there were no gaps between seats like someone else mentioned. I have no clue how anyone could've gotten out to go to the bathroom without half the row standing all the way up. You could duck below the counter into the waiter aisle if you had to, but you'd risk knocking yourself unconscious on the counter if you miss-timed lifting your head up. So that's a big flaw, but luckily nobody in my row had to leave.

Glad I went though, fun movie and an interesting experience overall.

othervoice1, Workshed and Natas like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I might be going to one of these theaters next week. The movie tickets are only $4, I assume because you're expected to pay for food. Here's a question: is it bad to go and not order food? Do they expect you to order something? I just want the movie and it's the only theater neaby playing it.

11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Fuck no. You don't have to order jack shit if you don't want. I even take it a bit further.....I snuck a budweiser bottle into IT last week. LOL

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Depends on the theater. Some of them do have minimum purchase rules.

13. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

tome, it kills the experience.. of going out somewhere to eat after the movie..