Anyone getting Twilight Zone (1959) on Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Aug 8, 2010.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I hope Image brings the 80s re-do to blu-ray after they get the original 5 seasons out. I know a lot of the fans hated the 80s version, but I enjoyed it and would love to add it to my collection.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I wasn't a huge fan, but they're on par with Tales from the Darkside and Tales from the Crypt. In my opinion, the 80's Twilight Zone are masterpieces compared to the 00's version hosted by Forrest Whitaker. I'm afraid that Image will release a bonus disc with the eventual Complete Series on Blu-ray. I've spent a ton of cash already on the first three blu-rays as it is.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Earlier this months, Paramount and CBS rereleased each of the individual season sets of the original Twilight Zone series with reduced MSRPs, from $99.99 to $59.99. These discs are apparently digitally identical to the previous Image releases.

A complete series boxset will also be released on 12/13/2016 with a $126.99 MSRP.

[​IMG]

There is a bit of a bargain to be had over at Barnes and Noble for this complete series rerelease.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12823397&postcount=1906

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12825283&postcount=1935

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Damn, I might just have to pick up the whole series. Very nice.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! My order is in.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You won't regret it. They are the best blu-ray's in my collection.

x666x, Harry Warden and Steel76 like this.
  7. shape22

I'm officially done with B&N. AGAIN, they canceled an attractively priced pre-order item that's "no longer scheduled for release." Of course, I could have picked up the Twilight Zone set for just a few dollars more during the pre-Christmas sale at Amazon. But B&N had to wait until all the good prices were gone elsewhere before canceling a pre-order they apparently had no intention of filling.

Barnes & Noble deserves to go the way of Circuit City. May 2017 see it die an agonizing death.

8. zbinks

I guess I'm the lucky one. Not only did B&N not cancel my order, they sent me a shipping notice at 12:30 AM and the set arrived at my doorstep this afternoon, courtesy of UPS Next Day Air with the delivery date bumped up a day early.

The packaging design for this new complete series set is going to be problematic to many. I would've preferred standard Blu-Ray cases to... whatever the hell this thing is... but the price difference made this a substantial bargain by comparison. It's like a big DVD shell, but you pull out a bolt of disc trays, which is a little unwieldly. The Blu-Rays are layered two to a side, top and bottom. The one big plus is that it saves a lot of shelf space. I had three loose discs upon arrival and I can tell that the disc hubs are going to be a pain in the ass. I've read a number of reports about broken hubs, but luckily mine all seem to be intact.

It's exactly like this set for Star Trek: The Original Series:

9. shape22

Better play the lottery before your luck changes. I wouldn't order from them again if they gave me a coupon code that guaranteed the resurrections of Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney, Sr.

10. shape22

Amazon finally dropped the price on this low enough for me to bite. Am I the only one having a hell of a time getting the discs to release from the packaging? The locking clips are so tight I feared I was going to snap the discs.

11. shape22

All right. I need some input from others who purchased the new Twilight Zone Blu-ray set. Is anyone else experiencing playback glitches with season one, disc one? My Oppo generally plays everything without difficulty, but I started to experience freezing, frame skipping, and pixelization during the third episode on the first disc of the set. I reloaded the disc, tried again with success, then upgraded to the latest beta firmware, but I'm still experiencing the issues.

When this was originally released on Blu, discs one and four of season one were replaced due to technical issues similar to what I'm experiencing. I have a feeling that the new set was authored from the defective versions of those discs.

Is anyone else experiencing freezes or other issues during playback of "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" and "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine?"

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Wow Shape, that is bizarre. I'm assuming Paramount just used the same discs Image created. Did you try the disc on another player? What's interesting is Image tried to tell me that the problem with my first season way back when it was originally released was my player. They added that it wasn't possible for the error to be on their end. It took quite a fight, but I was able to get my disc replaced (not the same disc as yours). The problem you are describing however is exactly the same issue that I had. Good luck with this.

shape22 likes this.
  13. shape22

Thanks for the info, Buck. Everything you said jives with my thoughts and observations. Per a lot of the forum posts I've seen, the content of the new discs is exactly the same as the 0riginal release discs (right down to the Image logos). It's mind-boggling to think that Image sold faulty masters to Paramount when they went to the time and trouble to create correctly authored replacement discs, but that would be consistent with my general luck. My next move is to test disc one on a Blu-ray player from another manufacturer--and try discs two and three on my Oppo (those discs didn't contain glitches in the original set). I'll report back with the results.

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

buck135 likes this.
  14. zbinks

I'm watching on an Oppo 103 and had no issues with "Mr. Denton on Doomsday". Haven't checked "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine?" yet.

Edit: No issues with "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine?" either.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    shape22 likes this.
  15. shape22

Thank you, zbinks! Sounds like I might just need to return my set for a replacement.

16. shape22

Thanks again for taking the time to give me feedback on the first disc, buck and zbinks! I exchanged my set and all is now well. I've gotten very few dud Blu-rays over the years, but this definitely seemed to be one. That kind of scares me since I have many, many discs that I've never even had out of their cases. Hopefully I'll live long enough to watch all of them.

zbinks likes this.
  17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Happy to help. Enjoy. This set is great on every level.

18. shape22

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, and it's fascinating to see how much more was expected of audiences back then. Almost all of the episodes support multiple interpretations, and there's no "we think our audience is dumb, so we'll explain absolutely everything." I really hate modern U.S. TV and hardly ever watch, but I enjoy watching shows like Thriller and The Twilight Zone. They take the necessary time to establish atmosphere, and they're much more cerebral than the dreck we get served today.

x666x and buck135 like this.
  19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I own the first run of this blu set and just love the hell out of it. One of the best tv series ever made and these look spectacular in HD. I agree this will be one of the best titles in anyone's collection for so many reasons. The series is part Sci fi, part horror, but not violent. Yet still just creepy, scary etc in a very real way.

Don't recall any technical issues on mine either, btw.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  20. Franco

Franco Weekender

Do you know if this Twilight Zone collection will be re-released? I read in many sites that it had problema with the packaging, and now I see it's out of print!