Anyone got Zombie holocaust?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by maniac666, May 21, 2002.

1. enough with this bullshit

I'm slowly starting to miss the bootleg videos I grew up with...this DVD "scene" is getting out of hand now. I like what the web site SexGoreMutants wrote in their recent news update. Read below:

"What you probably will notice more in the site though is a slightly different attitude in the way we cover our beloved genre. We feel that a lot of coverage has become somewhat stale in recent times, and so DVD as an interest is starting to become stale also. The honeymoon is over.

What was in the early days of the format an exciting and revolutionary era for the horror fan to rediscover cult classics is slowly becoming a collectable item for a growing number of obsessive consumers more concerned with the disc than the film itself.

I remember years ago sitting up late at night watching Universal monster double bills on TV, they were thrilling and exciting, full of atmosphere and most importantly there were monsters! I loved these films...not the presentation on the screen, nor did I give two hoots if there had been a frame missing or a hair flickering in the corner of the screen. They were horror movies and they were cool - I became a horror fan!

Now we have folk a growing number of 'collectors' (not fans) that seem to have forgotten the sheer thrill of watching the horror movie and seem to be more concerned with anything but what is happening onscreen. Does it really matter if the X version has minimally less grain than the Y disc? Who cares about the less than perfect print image when it's the only available source material? Is it important if 3 frames of coffee drinking are missing from a scene? But at 72 minutes in X version fades to the next scene whilst version Y cuts straight to it! Who cares!? Does everything 'have' to be anarmorphic? Why does a company feel the need to get an old full screen low budget film and matte it into anarmorphic widescreen? You know why, because the 'collector' demands as much. Anyone like to buy a copy of Criterion 'Salo' for $500?

Of course I would like to note that this is not everyone and my apologies to the great many true horror 'fans' that still enjoy the experience of the movie, but we do need to clear a fine line between the 'fan' and the 'collector'. And with our tongue just lightly poking out our cheek we'll wryly do so here at good old SGM! Watching horror movies should be fun - so let's do that!"

Amen

2. blaster

blaster Guest

Amen my fried...Amen!!

This is an argument I have had with so many anime fans who are very technically inclined.

While I believe that the consumer should demand for the best product and the manufacturer should try and deliver it, we have lost the love of the film and now have gone to the love of the technology. With what MGM is doing with 7.50 discs that love is going really fast and becoming a devalued commodity.

I feel that DVDs are great for interviews and all the extras and better look but does it really make the movie better? No. Does the story change? No.

But I tell you the collectors have taken over and the numbers prove it. We have anime shows that did not do well on VHS but
    have sold through the roof on DVD. Did the show get better? No.

Amen brother

-blaster

One thing which is in alot ways the issue:

The rabid fan looks at the DVDs as CD-ROMS and feel they know alot about it. Some do...This promotes an issue which in some ways is the crux of the discussion. The rabid fan basically believes I COULD HAVE DONE IT BETTER. I am the biggest fan and I know what should be on the disc and the quality it should have. Without me it will not be the quote, unquote definitive release.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2002
  3. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I sometimes think that I don't have very much in common with the bulk of people on this website so I don't post much. I could care less about extras, I used to think they were cool when there was just laserdiscs and vhs, but I realized that I barely watched them long before DVD came out. I got into laserdisc though for the boost in quality and when DVD came out there was another significant jump in quality. I'm sorry but expecting decent video quality isn't unreasonable. The only Shreik Show title that I have had problems with video wise was Jungle Holocaust. Otherwise I have been very pleased with the others. I have a widescreen TV so I won't buy a widescreen movie that isn't anamorphic. I will buy a full frame movie that is intended to be that way. As far as deleted scenes I'm not really concerned. I prefer the original theatrical presentation. I don't care what anyone says, Aliens was made into a crappier movie with all those extra scenes ploped in. Also I don't like crappy cover art but that's not going to stop me from buying a movie. Some people are just to damn anal for their own good. Why am I saying all this? I dunno, I just want to let media blasters know that their effort is appreciated and they should keep up the good work.

4. 6sick6

6sick6 New Member

SC-It's not Hell but you can see it from here.
    Amen Times 3

Razor,
    thanks for posting that. Truest damn statement about what is going on at damn near every forum I go to these days that I have read since Morpho talked about the "bloom being off the rose" for dvd and it "truly being all about the film". This online whining and petitioning is out of control and I often times wonder if any of these people actually watch these films they obsess over and find fault with to no end.
    Obviously,DVD is the superior format to view films on at this time but if you take away the actual film,would all the extras,bitrates and 6.1 DTS soundtracks mean a damn thing? To some of these collectors, I am sad to say they would. When it is more about the format than the film, something has gone wrong in my view. Does all the anamorphic, high definition, super duper soundtrack tampering in the world make a shitty film good? No. Does the lack of those things make a great film bad? No again.
    It is all a matter of preference when you get down to it. I am not stupid enough to think I am gonna change anyone's opinion about this, nor do I care to. I am just putting in my point of view on something that has been bugging me for more than a bit now. If anything, maybe someone will read this and question whether they complain too much about a movie they are LUCKY enough to have the oppurtunity to see in the first place and actually sit back and watch the movie and just maybe remember why they developed a love of these films to begin with. Love of film is a great thing,see if you still have it and try never to become a "collector".

Kevin

Last edited: Jun 15, 2002
  5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well damn, the shit hath hiteth the fan :D. Sorry, didn't mean to make an attempt at cracking the fucking ice.

Anyway, everyone needs to lighten up. I'm the farthest from an expert you can get with all this stuff, but fuck if I care. First of all, I give Shriek Show mad props for all their hard work. When's the last time you saw an Image rep (bruce - as much as I love your input I don't think you qualify) ever come by here? Or an AB rep respond to as many posts as John has? Yeah, exactly. I'm of the feeling that effort is the important thing, and things don't need to be absolutely perfect. I don't have an all region player, so I don't have the Italian Shock versions to compare anything, I just know what I see is fine by me. I can't think of more than 5 or 6 of my 100+ discs that I haven't been pretty pleased with (on all fronts - A/V, extras, price, etc.). I don't even have a problem with the JUNGLE HOLOCAUST disc. Picture looked fine to me. A little soft, but Christ, this is an Italian Cannibal film from the 70's. I'm growing up in the digital age, and I don't really give a shit, I was amazed at how good this thing looked. Granted it's not the only disc that has done this (AB, Image, and Synapse have surprised me many times as well), but c'mon people, you gotta realize that there is a very limited market. There are almost 2000 people registered on this forum, and that seems like a lot, but in the long run think about how many people have a DVD player. How many people do you think shop on line? Not many in the big picture. I don't really have that much else to say, other than realize what you're bitching about. Foreign films that are over 20 years old aren't getting great A/V transfers :eek:. :rolleyes: Just get over it, maybe it can look better, but how much of a difference is it gonna make to you. But then again, I still don't think Troma's STENDHAL SYNDROME disc was bad, so I have very different opinions than the rest of you. Seriously though, we all need to lighten up. Not saying it's bad to point out when SS makes a mistake, because they can only get better, but to bash them after they show obvious interest in what the fans think isn't gonna help.

I probably repeated myself a few times, so I apologize.

6. Jog

Jog Guest

Re: Amen my fried...Amen!!

:cool: As one who has sat in in several anime boards as well as Eurohorror boards, I must agree with blaster... the otaku get crazy at times. Hey, I love 'em a lot, but they go nuts really easy...

7. Trout

Trout Guest

One thing that always cracks me up is when people bitch about the print. Sure it looks better than it did 20+ years ago, but a little grain or darkness and they flip out. The problem with this country is that people are expecting everything to be perfect. Sorry to say, but life is not like that.

8. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Jeez - a lot has happened since I went to sleep, haha!

John - glad to hear you're not taking it personally, and hopefully you’ll pop out another release soon that’ll I’m be smiling about. Just to clarify, I don’t think any of your discs look horrible, and to the best of my knowledge they’re better than previous releases, I just feel some don’t look quite as good as they could have. But, as you said, maybe I’m just expecting too much. (Well, to be honest, CENTRAL PARK DRIFTER looks pretty rough.) But look at it this way – I STILL went out and bought the ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST disc, and this was AFTER I had seen it and posted complaints!

For the record, I really have no problems with SS’s cover art! (Unless you count spelling errors.) I may not like them all, but at least you ARE using promotional art from around the world as compared to creating your own. And as far as release dates go, I have patience, and if you need a few more weeks to do the job a little better then I have no problems waiting.

In regards to John’s list of 1-5, it made me laugh out loud reading it. Why? Because IT’S ALL TRUE! But John, if you need help with future releases, I’m more than willing to help, because without my involvement they’ll suck! :p

Last edited: Jun 15, 2002
  9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

John, you read my post wrong, I was not posting Shriek Show's sales rather I posting my own companies sales that I own. I was making the point that in business, you'll never survive if you don't listen to what your customers want. I am certainly not trying to knock Shriek Show or do I have a personal hatred toward your releases. In fact, I appreciate your work. Read any reviews for your dvds on my site, I don't trash your product and the fact is, I praise the releases for the most part.

I am very picky when it comes to these films. I want to see them presented as best as they can be, so I am only offereing suggestions, not a barrage of insults, just constructive criticisms.

I look forward to your releases, especially "A Lizard In A Woman's Skin" dvd. I have confidence that Shriek Show will put the effort in to make sure it gets the best possible release. I will continue to purchase your product as long as I feel the releases warrant a purchase. I have bought every Shriek Show disc to date, so I think I know what SS is capable of producing.

Jason

10. blaster

blaster Guest

Now that I read it twice

You did say your company not MB, my bad. Your point is well taken and we always listen to the consumers.

The problem is sometimes we still mistakes.

11. CJ

CJ Guest

Re: Eaten Alive

I really like Eaten Alive and even though it's not the greatest cannibal flick you'll ever see, it's still great fun!

I eagerly await a R1 release!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2002
  12. CJ

CJ Guest

And just to add my thoughts to the debate...

I'm at the bottom of the food-chain, I am a mere horror fan who buys the discs and I have to say that the Shriek Show discs I have seen thus far look perfectly fine to me. I very much liked the DVD of Delirium and thought that a good job had been done of it. Okay, so I didn't spend the entire running time looking for faults, so I may have missed them, but personally I prefer to kick back and enjoy the film without worrying about the technical specs of the disc.

DVD has afforded us the opportunity to see many films that we may never have seen otherwise. Through DVD I have discovered a love for Argento and Bava which I never had before. Being able to see these films at all, let alone in their proper aspect ratio (bearing in mind I'm in the UK and there are little genre releases here on DVD) is a wonder in itself.

Some disc I have seen from certain UK distributors have been un forgivably bad, but Shriek Show are certainly not guilty of this. More power to Shriek Show and long may they continue. Blaster seems like a good guy with a real passion for the films - I think we can trust our beloved films to a man like this.

I for one say STOP fault finding unless the problem is glaringly apparent and START enjoying the films.

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Erm...

Horror Rulz! \nn/:D\nn/ ....hehehehehehe....

14. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I was in a sleazy gory living dead mood last night so I ordered what amounts to about $ 300,- worth of DVDs. "Zombie Holocaust", "Beyond The Darkness", "Grapes Of Death", "Burial Ground" and "Cannibal Apocalypse" I guess are the goriest of those I ordered. I've never seen any of them and I only know I'm in for a gross viewing, but they look interesting and I think I'll enjoy them. I'm trying to steer clear of the cannibal movies that have any real animal deaths in them, I'd be too upset if I had to watch that shit. It beats me why people in the Far East like that stuff, they must be nuts. -I mean, just reading about the infamous snake/monkey scene in "Mountain Of The Cannibal God" is enough to make me forget about ever purchasing it. (I wonder why actors like Stacy Keach and Ursula Andress appeared in that film, they probably didn't know about it.) I also chose some so-called Giallos, "Short Night Of The Glass Dolls", "Who Saw Her Die ?", "Cold Eyes Of Fear" and the violent Italian actioner "Beast With A Gun". I also managed to squeeze in some recommendable '70s thrillers; "The Killer Elite", "Groundstar Conspiracy", "Diamonds" and "The Final Programme" (Dr. Phibes fans should see this cult sci-fi movie for director Fuest's fabulous art deco sets.) I won't even go into my massive August pre-orders here !. God bless Anchor Bay and MGM, I don't know what I'd do without 'em.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  15. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I ordered the three SHRIEK SHOW discs too, they should be here soon. The only one I've ever seen before is BURIAL GROUND, and it was great. Not that gory, I saw it when I was first getting into Italian cinema. It's great fun though, you should love it (as long as you don't take it seriously). Then again, I watched a very old, worn out VHS, which was dark as hell, so there may have been some gruesome shots hiding behind all that grain :).

GRAPES OF DEATH is awesome. Some extremely gross shots but also some beautiful shots of the French countryside. But of course the best part of the movie is Bridgette Laihee (I still can't spell that right). Plus there are some great interviews on the disc, definitely worth the $18 or so I paid.

CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE also rocks. Not that gory per se, but still a tense film with some cringe-inducing moments. Could have been better, but there's a scene towards the end involving John Morghen's (Giovanni-Lombardi Radice...I think) character and a shot gun. You gotta see it, plus the disc is awesome. Amazing video quality, and there's an hour long set of interviews.

I'd say you made some pretty good choices, plus I can imagine what else you got [​IMG]

16. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Hi Andrew, thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing them, I have a fairly strong stomach so I'll probably not need having any barfbags ready - or so I hope :eek:. I think BTD's subject matter of necrophilia is interesting and fascinating while at the same time it's something totally insane !. Yes, I think I got a pretty good and diverse selection there, also got "Planet Of The Vampires", "Un Flic" (French caper with Alain Delon/Richard Crenna), and "The Tin Drum" (R2).

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I recently obtained my copy of Zombie Holocaust and I plan on watching it this afternoon. I'll post my thoughts on it later tonight. ;)\nn/

18. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

thanks for the warning!