Anyone here have the Mondo Cane Collection?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Andrew, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

The Mondo Cane Collection

So this is supposedly coming in October from Blue Underground, and is to have 8 (!) discs. Some sites list the retail as $100, others $150. I'm going to wait a little bit before I order anything, but so far CD Universe seems to have it for $67. However, my curiosity is that the set (as it was originally announced) had 5 discs. However, 2 longer American versions of the films and a documentary were added, thus explaining the $50 bump in retail. It seems that the sites still listing the $100 retail haven't updated their price accordingly due to the three additional discs. However, Amazon lists the $100 retail and says it has 8 discs, so I have no idea. My question is, would it be smart to try to order from them now and see if they honor the current price, or just wait until later for future retailers getting it in stock? Also, what are everyone's opinions on the films? I don't think I have much interest in the whole real death/fake death documentary type thing, but something about the set intrigues me. Any comments?

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I really have no interest in this if teh movies are simply Doc's on real death/fake death kinda stuff. It sounds like a kick ass set too bad the movies don't sound the same.:(

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I'm not one for real death/fake death documentrys myself, but I am pretty interested in this set, and although the $150 msrp is high, I will still get this release day.

I dunno about the pre-ordering thing .. I guess it would be pretty smart to do it now and try to hold them to the price, but I personally am going to wait on the pre-order until a closer date.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It's worth it just for the Goodbye Uncle Tom Movie, I sure wish they would sell it by itself, that's the only movie I really want.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I will be buying this also. I didn't think the price would be that high but ah well. It will look good next to my Faces of Death dvds:D

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not that big of a fan of the real death films. But I love watching the corny films that try to say what they're showing is authentic when it is obviously fake. Sounds like a killer set though for those who like the stuff, enjoy!:)

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Nope - no interest from me.

8. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Well, its worth picking up, just to see where the mondo genre started from.

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I just want the Farewell Uncle Tom DVD, they can keep the rest. But they refuse to sell it on it's own :(

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I want all of them NOW!

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

relax

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I can't relax I need mondo weirdness:)

13. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

maybe you can "make bacon" while your waiting.:nervous: :lol:

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

These movies are so old that my father told me about them when i was little, now he was drunk at the time so didn't belive him, but at last I can see for myself:)

Childhood memories, how sweet they are:nervous::lol:

* yes that really happen.:cry:

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

A bit more info about this set :

Mondo Cane Collection - Limited Edition

8 DVDs

1. Mondo Cane
    2. Women of the World
    3. Mondo Cane 2
    4. Africa Addio - English Version
    5. Africa Addio - Directors' Cut
    6. Goodbye Uncle Tom - English Version
    7. Addio Zio Tom - Director's Cut
    8. The Godfathers of Mondo

List Price: $149.95
    Amazon has it for $127.46 and free shipping

Technical Information
    Release Information:
    Studio: Blue Underground
    DVD Release Date: October 28, 2003
    Production Company: Blue Underground
    Package Type: Box Set

Aspect Ratio(s):
    Widescreen anamorphic

Discographic Information:
    DVD Encoding: Region 1
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Italian (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
    Available subtitles: English

Edition Details:
    • All Regions
    • Color, Box set
    • Theatrical trailer(s)
    • Behind-the-Scenes 8mm Footage with Audio Commentary by Assistant Director Giampaolo Lomi
    • Giampaolo Lomi's Behind-the-Scenes Still Gallery
    • TV Spots
    • Benito Frattari's Location Stills
    • Lobby Promo
    • The Unofficial Mondo Phenomenon
    • Poster & Still Galleries
    • Complete U.S. Press Book (DVD-ROM)
    • Widescreen anamorphic - 2.35:1
    • Widescreen anamorphic - 1.78:1
    • Widescreen anamorphic format
    • Number of discs: 8
    • ASIN: B000096IC0

and finally, the cover art!

[​IMG]

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah, but Deep Discount has it for $90.

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Good I'll just get it from there then :)

Here are some reviews of the movies in this set, not these reviews focus on the movies not this DVD set :

Mondo Cane :

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/9587/vmrev/mondocane.htm

Mondo Cane 2 :

"Despite its exploitive nature, the 1963 Italian "shockumentary" Mondo Cane yielded a few images of great beauty while dredging through the more extreme and outrageous eccentricities of the world. It also produced the hit song "More". Mondo Cane Part 2 offers little more but sensationalism; even the music is on a seedy level. Some of the bizarre religious and social rituals depicted herein have their own curious charm, but the good sequences are lumped unimaginatively with the bad. Still, Mondo Cane, Part 2 paid its way back in 1964, a fact no doubt attributable to the first film's enormous success. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide"

Women Of The World :

"Director Gualtiero Jacopetti and his "mondo" films started an entire category of degrading shockumentaries which deal with topics like cannibalism, animal torture and killing, sexual oddities, and all manner of animalistic, brutal behavior in human culture. La Donna nel Mondo seems to be Jacopettis excuse to exploite as many young women as possible in the name of "art". This film is anything but an anthropological, sympathetic overview of women in world cultures but more a voyeuristic tour at what might seem to be the most shocking scenes to a Eurocentric audience."

Africa Addio :

http://www.so-sweet.cwc.net/Films/africa_addio.htm

http://www.bradfordfilmfestival.org.uk/2003/filmdetail.asp?ida=3866

Goodbye Uncle Tom :

http://www.bradfordfilmfestival.org.uk/2003/filmdetail.asp?ida=1345

http://www.mondoculto.com/film/addioziotom.htm

http://members.aol.com/shockcin/farewell.html

The Godfathers of Mondo :

[​IMG]

American label Blue Underground has formerly announced details of "the most ambitious and controversial box set in DVD history", their limited edition Mondo Cane Collection box set, which features the startling work of filmmakers Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi, whose films Mondo Cane, Women of the World, Mondo Cane 2, Africa Addio and Goodbye Uncle Tom are all included in the eight-disc set. The set features two versions of two of the films: the English version and Director's Cut of Africa Addio, and the English version of Goodbye Uncle Tom and the Director's Cut, Addio Zio Tom. The set also includes a brand new feature-length documentary by Blue Underground's David Gregory, The Godfathers of Mondo, featuring interviews and never-before-seen footage.

Mondo Cane, Women of the World and Mondo Cane 2 will be presented in 4:3 format. Both versions of Africa Addio, Goodbye Uncle Tom and Addio Zio Tom will be in 2.35:1 ratio, enhanced for 16:9 playback. The Godfathers of Mondo is in anamorphic 1.78:1 format. The films have been restored from the original negatives, and will be in their original mono format. The films will be supplemented by "behind-the-scenes footage, extensive still and poster galleries, essays, trailers and more".

The films will only be available in the box set (which is limited to 10,000 copies), which has an RRP of $149.95. You can discuss this release in this thread at the Forum.

Here's a look at the individual disc sleeves (from the picture of the box set, it looks like they might be packaged in Thin-pak-type cases, similar to those used for Fox's R1 Son of the Beach and Family Guy sets).

[​IMG]

http://www.zetaminor.com/news_archive/news_wk1_09_03.htm

18. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Thanks Bruce! Much more descriptive seeing the extras divided amongst their respective discs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2003
  20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I decided to read some stuff about these films, so maybe I might check this out. They seem to be more about just all around wierd shit than just real-life death. I'll definitely read up on them some first though.