Anyone here have the Mondo Cane Collection?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Andrew, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Numania

Numania Guest

Kinski looks like Gary Numan.

2. mgfred

mgfred Guest

This series is even rougher than any horror movie can be, since it deals with reality.

I got the set on Monday, have already watched Mondo Cane 1&2, and almost all of Africa Addio (had to watch 24 and Joe Schmo last night).

Not only is this great viewing, it is some of the most important and powerful viewing you will ever experiance.

In Africa Addio they discuss the slaughters in Rwanda and the Congo....... No not the ones in the last few years, the ones that took place there 40 years ago. So much history repeats itself and just like in the early 60's the UN did nothing to stop the massacres.

Deep Discount is selling it for over $60 off of list. This is a limited edition of only 10,000.

Don't miss out on it by any means if you can afford the $90 price. You will be changed (for the better) by watching it!

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It contain an uncut version of Africa Addio and the normal version, which one are you watching now?

4. mgfred

mgfred Guest

I'm watching the English version (the cut) first, then I will watch the directors cut. There's around 11-12 minutes difference, which is a lot! I can already see some areas where I know it was cut. However it is not the extremely butchered "Africa, Blood and Guts" version.

If I watched the directors cut first, I would probably never watch the English version. I will probably do the same with "Goodbye Uncle Tom".

I expect the directors cut may even have better picture quality since it was made from a original negative. Mondo Cane 2 was considerably better picture wise, than Mondo Cane, however the first was damn good though!

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well I've finished it.

MONDO CANE was somewhat disappointing. I braced myself ahead of time after watching the trailer to expect something slightly not as harsh, but it was still a bit of a let down. Tons of time is spent on silly things, but the more unsettling moments (mass killings of pigs) show off the reputation this film has. There are also some interesting scenes and observations on cultures, which I enjoyed. The music was pretty good too. I see the point of the film, and I'm sure I'm just desensitized by the times or whatever, but I'd have to give this a 6/10. The disc looks very nice though, with English and Italian mono that sound fine as well and some standard extras.

WOMEN OF THE WORLD was pretty crappy. Again, not as wild as I had hoped, nor was it lighthearted enough to be a lot of fun. It was just...there. Had some interesting moments but it was overall mediocre - 4/10. Again, A/V is very good with some standard supplements.

MONDO CANE 2 wasn't as good as the first - less violent, less relevant, less exciting. It felt like they were really straining to find something worth filming. Some decent moments, but they were few and far between - 5/10. Same deal with great A/V and standard extras.

Thankfully, AFFRICA ADDIO: ENGLISH VERSION was fantastic. Amazing scenes of hunting, honest danger for the filmmakers, and observations of political tides. Some of the animal violence is extremely gruesome, and there are a few real death scenes, but this shouldn't be something to sway away people. The real renegade-style filming makes for an interesting experience. The music was fantastic here as well. Overall I'd give it an 8/10. A/V is superb with again, standard extras.

AFRICA ADDIO: DIRECTOR'S CUT differs from its English counterpart in a few ways. The narration (Italian with subs here) is very different, and at times more to-the-point and direct. There are some extra scenes as well, but from what I noticed they're mostly just extensions or ones that aren't extremely important. Still an 8/10, with the same A/V and no extras.

GOODBYE UNCLE TOM: ENGLISH VERSION was also a powerful film, full of harsh depictions of slavery and racism. It's filmed as a somewhat faux-documentary, with Jacopetti and Prosperi using real events and characters, recreating them, and creating a fine film out of it. The music for this movie is amazing, and one of the best scores I've heard. 8/10 overall. The disc has great A/V and a nice extra of behind the scenes 8mm footage with commentary that runs for around 45 minutes.

ADDIO ZIO TOM: DIRECTOR'S CUT is significantly different than the English version in several ways. First off, the English version takes place entirely in the 19th century until the end, which brings us up to present times (more or less - you'll understand when/if you see it). This version, however, has an entirely new 10 minute beginning and intermittently returns to the present throughout the film, in a sense juxtaposing social conditions of the past with similar (although on a much lesser scale) conditions present in the 1970's. There are also several scenes not present here that were in the English version, as well as some new ones. Neither are sorely missed though. Again, the narration is different and at times more unflinching, which makes for a nice difference. I'd give this an 8/10 also.

THE GODFATHERS OF MONDO is a 90 minute feature with interviews with Filmmakers Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi, Composer Riz Ortolani, Production Manager Giampaolo Lomi, the cinematographer Benito Frattari, and three "cult film historian" types. This is a very interesting piece, covering each film presented here in the collection. Everyone gives some great information, and I applaud the editor's obvious sense of humor (maybe it was the same guy who helped with the MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD interview?). At one point, one of the historians (the co-author of KILLING FOR CULTURE) says that the filmmakers obviously shot the real burning death of this particular monk. This statement is followed by Jacopetti, Prosperi, and Frattari all saying "this was of course fake, we used a dummy." The interviews are spliced with scenes from the film, production materials, newspaper articles, and some of the 8mm footage present on the GOODBYE UNCLE TOM disc. Overall it's a very worth supplement that gives some nice insight on the making of these films. It only makes me wish MONDO CANDIDE was in this set, but that's a minor complaint. 7/10.

Overall this set was a slight letdown, with MONDO CANE, WOMEN OF THE WORLD, and MONDO CANE 2 not quite living up to my personal expectations. AFRICA ADDIO and GOODBYE UNCLE TOM, however, are fantastic works that I am fabulously pleased to own. The feature length documentary certainly adds to the value of this collection, and at the $90 I paid I'm pretty damn content.

6. Numania

Numania Guest

I'm looking forward to this. I ordered mine last night new from an Amazon seller. I only paid $67 or something for it, so I hope it isn't in some porked up condition. Dude said it was new, so I hope he isn't lying.

7. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Hey Numania,

Thanks for the heads up! I dashed to Amazon right after reading your post and, sure enough, that dude had another box set up for sale at the same price. Hate to see a fellow horrordvds.com fan sitting out there on the plank all by hisself, so I took the plunge, as well. Here's hoping we're both pleasantly surprised! :)

8. Numania

Numania Guest

hahhaa thanks! We'll see what happens. That's a great price, so I hope we're not disappointed.

9. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

I just received a ship notice from that Amazon seller! A day late but thirty dollars short (of what DDD was charging). Thanks again for the tip Numania. Now where's the Dancing Banana icon when you need him? :D

10. Numania

Numania Guest

Thanks for the heads up! I had it in my trash folder. I'm really looking forward to this set.
    We're some savvy mo'fos.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I order my copy for $69.24 Shipped :D

12. I'm confused, you dislike CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST because it is boring and features animal killings. The words pot and kettle spring to mind after seeing that you purchased THE MONDO CANE COLLECTION.

P.S. Not looking for a slanging match, just interested in your thought process?

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

To be honest I personally hate mondo type films as I find them depressing and repulsive. But with the obvious popularity of this release I'm gonna try to get a set in my grubby little hands for selling or trading later after it becomes difficult to obtain.

14. Numania

Numania Guest

I see your point. I didn't like Cannibal Holocaust that much. The animal killings don't bother me, but they seem like the main point of the movie. Plus, I'm a sucker for box sets.
    Often times, I will dislike one movie for a certain reason, but love/like another for the same reason I disliked the first. Oh well.

15. That is good enough for me, I hope you enjoy the show and don't forget to post your thoughts on the box set, I like your honesty!

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

who else has gotten the box set? I ordered it haven't arrived here yet.

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

small world ;)

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I just got an e-mail informing me that the box set has been shipped!

$66.75 - Mondo Cane Collection - Limited Edition

(insert banana dance here)

19. Numania

Numania Guest

Yeah, I got mine a few days ago. Slick looking set. Some of the movies (MC, MC2, Women) work like great hungover Sunday material. I can't wait to watch the good ones.
    I'm really enjoying this set so far.

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I just got my copy in the mail today, this set looks awesome, I can't wait to see the films.