Anyone here love Demons (1985) ?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by vampyr789, Aug 3, 2008.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Who loves it?? I think its awesome!! really exciting, great gore effects, good scares!! the whole film is really fun, a roller coaster ride all the way through!!!
    Sure, some people say the acting is bad, and its cheesy, but i dont care, i love cheesy zombie films!! They rock!! its also very 80s with the cool rock soundtrack.

anyone else here love Demons??

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Aside from having no plot, I find the film fun. Anchor Bay did a great job with the transfer on the new disc they released. Too bad a decent sequel was never made.:(

3. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Demons is one of those great turn-off-your-brain films for me. A fun popcorn Saturday night movie.

4. Spit

Spit Active Member

freak'n great movie. This Is the one I use to try to introduce my friends to italian films.. Great effects,soundtrack, and ending. This one gets a 10/10 in my book

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

While I am not saying it is of the most technically proficient horror films, this happens to be one of my personal favorites since I was a kid. A lot of violent eye candy. Great replay value even after what is probably 20 viewings for me.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A fun one,saw it in the theater back in the day.It grows on you.Love the score.

7. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I bet the majority here love Demons....or they should be slapped. :D

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Demons is a decent flick, I dig the soundtrack (with metal tunes included) as well as the
    tacked on ending.
    A much better movie over the sequel.

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

yeah the ending! I love it!! George reminds me of Ash. (evil dead series)
    Ash + Chainsaw & Boomstick = Zombie Slayer
    George + Ninja Sword = Demon Slayer

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's funny, because they mention that they're heading to a cabin out of town as their safe house.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Yeah, Demons is a great flick for sure. Demons 2 ain't too bad but it's a far distance from the first.

12. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I actually just saw both "Demons" and "Demons II" for the first time about a year ago. I was at my local K-mart last summer, looking through DVDs, and one of the cashiers from the electronics department walked over and asked if I dug horror films? I answered "yeah", and he pointed a small, cardboard display case out to me.

It was a Halloween themed display shipper, which apparently had been misplaced on the previous Halloween (which would have been '06, since this happened around May '07) and they were trying to sell the DVDs "out of season" and marked them all down to 5.00. It was packed with older Anchor Bay releases mostly.

Anywho, long story short, I bought a pile of DVDs that day (what can I say, i can't turn down a deal), 2 of them being "Demons" and its sequel. Needless to say, i was FLOORED. It absolutely became one of my favorite fliks of all time. It, IMO, took the best creepy/gorey aspects of "Evil Dead" and married them with the bizarr visial style of italian fliks like "Suspira". I really dug it right off the bat.

It's very over the top, in terms of over-acting, gore effects, and wacky action, but that's all aprt of the fun, IMO. I still watch it once a month or so, and it always cheers me up a bit if I'm feeling down.

The sequel? While I liked it (immensely, actually), I thought it paled a bit when compared to the original.

13. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

I don't find the acting bad at all - I mean, what do people expect in such a movie, Charlton Heston-style classic techniques? Whatever seems a bit cheesy was intentional on the part of a great director. Overall the film is brilliant, I agree the special effects were SOTA for the time and still hold up well now. Soundtrack defines the 80s and the entertainment never lets up for a minute. I also love Demons 2 though it would have taken something truly spectacular to emulate the original. A stupendous film which I often think of when my boring work colleagues are boasting about some crap pretentious rubbish they watched at the cinema over the weekend. :banana:

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I wish I could do that. But even if I could excuse the fact that there is no plot (sure I could), I can't forgive the scene where Cheryl grabs George (right name?) and screams- "don't leave me - I'm afraid!!!" He's only going across the room, you idiot! Didn't Italian filmmakers have more respect for women? Fulci did the same thing in City of the Living Dead. "Bob! Don't leave me alone! I'm afraid!" I mean, hello! You don't see the Friday the 13th movies adding insult to injury by having all the women turn into completely unstable, blubbering, hysterical wrecks. Demons just goes one step much too far by having all the women play ridiculously annoying stereotypes. I feel like I'm watching a propaganda film about how stupid women are, and yet I know it's not a realistic series of portrayals. This film is downright sexist. So it's not pure entertainment for me.

15. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I love it. I also think #2 is pretty good and I enjoy The Church.

16. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I still want to see Demons #6 on DVD some time...

17. Spit

Spit Active Member

6?!? I didn't even know there were more than 2 of these. :confused:

18. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096932/
    First screen appearance of Mater Lachrymarum :D (pictured in Profondo Argento)

19. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

There's really only 2, but a bunch of other movies have been retitled as sequels.
    Demons III: The Ogre
    The Church has been titled Demons 3
    Demoni 3 aka Black Demons
    La Setta has been Demons 4
    Lamberto Bava's own Black Sunday remake was called Demons 5
    Il Gatto nero aka Demons 6

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

First screen appearance of Mater Lachrymarum is in the first 10 minutes of INFERNO (Anna Pieroni and her cat...)