Anyone here love Demons (1985) ?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by vampyr789, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Oops!
    Sorry,forgot about that one....

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

If you feel that way towards DEMONS, you should probably just hang up your Eurohorror towel then, because virtually all of their films cast women in a subservient, sensationalist or seductive light. That's the culture, that's the times, and to look past that is to enjoy a wealth of amazing films.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I can remember the first time I saw Demons and Demons 2. I loved both, but the first film is one of the best italian horror films of all time. This film actually scared the daylights out of me.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Demons is great. A big group of us were watching it one time and one guy started bitching about how all the shit on the motorcycle is impossible, we told his ass to shut up and enjoy the awesomeness that is Urbano Barberini screaming and wailing in a voice that is obviously not his and slaying some demon ass.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Beat me to it, Chaostar

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

He really must have lost it when a fucking HELICOPTER comes crashing in out of nowhere!

7. Crystal Plumage

I said I was sorry I forgot,dammit! ;)

Pity Dario didn't use Ania Pieroni in La Terza madre.That'd be cool.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Good idea, Rhett. I should stop watching Eurohorror. Oh, wait... I've already seen about 2 dozen Eurohorror films so far... Ooops.

Look, there are only a few true problem films for women in the Italian horror genre. And I think I already pointed them out. Don't compare to every filmmaker, like it's a disease they all had. Fulci and L. Bava are the only filmmakers whose work I've seen thus far that seems hateful toward women.

And before anyone starts taking potshots without thinking, yes the entire horror genre has scenes of violence against women. That's NOT my point. My point is that when you look at these scenes as examples - some movies went too far by portraying all the women in their films as hysterical messes or sexualized violence by cutting up their reproductive organs. Not every Italian filmmaker did that.

Women have been "seductive" since the female vampires back in the... I think Universal did the first female vampire films. There's nothing wrong with that. At least it's a way for women to be in-control, now isn't it? And everyone knows it's a movie. Who thinks all women are domineering just because an undead supernatural being entrances a few people before killing them?

And as for "subservient" - well, did you happen to notice George A. Romero going on-record saying that his portrayal of women in Night of the Living Dead was unfair? It's not just a European thing. But in America, we corrected that trend by and large with Alien and Dawn of the Dead. And men and women were equal-opportunity victims in the Friday the 13th movies. Not only that, but the men often got harsher death scenes anyway. In The Final Chapter, who got a harpoon in the groin? Not a woman, a male.

Now you have a point with your claim of "sensationalist." But you have to admit, a scene where a room seems to have the magical power to make about 6 or 7 women (all the women in that room) start shrieking and whining and flailing about... that's more than just "sensationalist" - it's stupid and offensive. And it's not the kind of thing that's necessarily par for the course in the films of better Euro horror directors. At least, not Argento. Who took the time to organize his characterizations better.

9. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Love both Demons and Demons 2. Lamberto Bava will be at Cinema Wasteland in October along with Coralina. Quite a cool little appearance/reunion.

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The Ogre rules.

11. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i also think that Demons needs a real Special Edition.
    All we get on the current DVD is a trailer, behind the scenes footage (2 min), and an audio commentary.

the behind the scenes stuff is good, just not enough!
    it needs something more.
    like this:

Demons: 2-Disc Special Edition
    Anchor Bay Entertainment

Disc 1:
    - Anamorphic Widescreen (1.66:1) Enchanced for 16x9 TVs
    - Audio Commentary w/ director Lamberto Bava, special effects director Sergio Stivaletti and jounalist Loris Curci
    - English Dolby Digital 5.1
    - English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Disc 2:
    - 2003 Interviews w/ Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava in Rome (54 mins)
    - "Making of Demons" featurette (in Italian with English subtitles)
    - Interview with Dario Argento
    - 3 Behind the Scenes featurettes
    --- Collaborator
    --- FX Wizardy
    --- Movie Mastermind
    - Behind The Scenes footage
    - Theatrical Trailers
    - TV Spots
    - Talent Bios
    - Demons 2 Theatrical Trailer

i want to own that!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  12. Crystal Plumage

The Dragon releases I have,have some nice extras.I have both and to be honest I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

Reviewed here on this very site:
    http://www.horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=149
    and
    http://www.horrordvds.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=150

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Simple answer - YES! Cool film, I've loved since I first saw it!

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

demons is one of my favorite movies

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    DEMONS - loved it! However, first seeing it in 1986 (when I could have been seeing ALIENS in the big theater next door), I was floored...and not in a good way. The ads featured Argento's name prominently so I was immediately sold (granted, the only Argento movies I had seen at that point was "Deep Red" and "Creepers"). The opening was promising...but, oh man I just was not ready for that surreal experience of dodgy dialogue and some pretty improbable situations in an already improbable situation. :)
    A few weeks go by and I see the film again at the $1 theater...and have the best time of my life watching the film. But that was the last time I see the film until 1989 when the VHS of DEMONS 2 comes out. Full-ready knowing what to expect, I rent it and love it. This makes me rent the original on VHS and, after seeing 2, I realize what a superior piece of work DEMONS is. Been a fan ever since.
    I played DEMONS at a house party once. Everyone loved it.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Demons is a great film that has become an October tradition for me. I love the movie theater itself, but the biggest selling point for me has to be Bobby Rhodes as badass Tony the Pimp. :glasses: This movie has lots of atmosphere and always puts me in the Halloween spirit.

17. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i emailed Anchor Bay Entertaiment about releasing a special edition, and the replyed for once!! (next day) This is my message:

Hello! I recently purchased your DVD for Demons. I really like it.
    But I have something to quibble about, it needs more special features.

I myself as a devoted fan to Demons, would like to see a bunch of special features on this film. Its a cult classic! The disc needs more. I'm sorry but the behind the scenes thing was a cheat (only 1 min long???)

It needs a documentary featurettes, interviews, just something more!

Please redo you DVD on Demons, it is one of my favorite horror films of all time, and i really would love to have a very good special edition on Demons

Thank You : D

PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!! ]

And here is their response:

Taylor,

Unfortunately with these older films there was never an abundance of extra footage shot because there was no outlet for it. Only with the invention of DVD has there been way to get stuff out there. Now film companies film all types of bonus features just for the DVD release, something that didn’t take place all those years ago.

We will take your suggestions into consideration for recording new features if we decide to do a re-release of this classic.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Haha yeah he started to mutter something, but we all gave him the death stare and he stopped.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The helicopter scene made sense to me - even at first viewing (not my friend, though). I had a feeling something outside the theater was happening since one Demon escaped and wasn't properly destroyed. But the truly odd thing about it, though, wasn't why it came into the theater, but HOW. It didn't crash as one would expect. More like it got too heavy for the roof. That is what made me go, "uh...now how exactly did THAT happen???"

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd like to see that VHS again someday. I remember a roommate renting it when it came out, and it making no sense whatsoever. Here is what my 1991 copy of "Movies on TV and Videocasette" has to say:

"The American release of this zombie sequel has been so hacked up and badly dubbed as to render it unreviewable. Most of the gory special effects have been chopped out, and what's left of the plot is incomprehensible."

I'd like to see that edit, having seen it in it's proper cut.