Anyone knows what happened with AB release The Prey (1980)?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Night Creep, May 1, 2007.

1. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

Berserker is still on Fangorias chopping list but its sure very slow getting a region dvd release thats for sure.

2. I have the original Prism vhs of Berserker and it looks like it won't ever see the light of day on dvd. I think that fans of The Prey just want it out on dvd. Vhs quality or not.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's been on that list for several years now though.

4. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

Hi Katatonia i agree.Its been on there for couple years at least.

5. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

OH man...is this that one where they have countless closeups of the dork victims-to-be chowing down on nasty camp grub, chawing and mawing and eating with their mouths open?

I'm thinking this was also maybe the one that ends up with the main female dorkette getting preggers from the monster and having her mutant baby in a cave?

if this IS, then this SO needs to be released...hahahah...oh, the memories.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the part of the mutant baby in acave is the prey not sure about the first part though

7. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure it's the same movie I'm thinking of with both scenes, I just remember some 'killer in the woods' flick having all of the dumb teenager types, sitting around the campfire eating whatever slop "the women" have put together, and they're all slurping and chomping on it like it's really good, but it looked like crap going in.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That's one of my favorite bad cinema moments, especially the small talk at the campfire during dinner. It was just so ridiculously silly and went on and on and on. The longer that scene took the more we were laughing. Good times :D

9. Spit

Spit Active Member

I was reading about this, and think I remember renting it along time ago. Anyone know what happened to the DVD release? I would love to see this one again.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the transfer was really bad i remember so anchor bay canned it and replaced it with hellgate on the pit/hellgate double feature

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

This needs to be released. How bad could the transfer have been? They released this movie on laserdisc back in the day, so I'm sure they could have done some splicing where needed just like they did with Silent Night Deadly Night.

12. Katatonia

I don't really buy that "bad transfer" explanation, unless their only source for the film is a VHS tape or something. They released Season of the Witch and There's Always Vanilla on a double-feature and the transfers were crappy on both! I mentioned that earlier in this thread, but it's worth repeating.

Many DVD studios will post a notice on the screen before the film starts if the materials sourced from were poor quality, why not AB?

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

The Prey is great, I'd love for it to get a standalone release, and certainly feel that it's worthy. Hopefully one day, but I don't buy the "poor elements" excuse. Probably a rights issue.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know if this is becoming more common or what - but a "bad print" excuse is what had thus far prevented the 1932 classic "Island of Lost Souls" getting a release. Apparently Universal feels people wouldn't want a less than pristine copy.

Shame.

15. Katatonia

With major studios perhaps it's a bigger issue, but it seems "bad prints" have rarely stopped the smaller DVD studios from releasing films very often. I don't really buy Anchor Bay's excuse for The Prey since they've obviously done it more than once in the past. :eek2:

The Curious Case of the Campus Corpse is one recent DVD which I can recall using a less than ideal print. It was sourced from a film transfer, but not exactly in good condition by any means; and Media Blasters/Code Red wisely chose to add a disclaimer before the film began. Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers is yet another example...the new transfer is rather poor, from the only 35mm print still known to exist; and Retromedia also chose to include a disclaimer.

16. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Mmmmm is The Pray even all that good a film to began with? I don't ever recall hearing much praise about this film at all. :hum:

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

There's a lot of bad slashers out there, but THE PREY is one of those good bad ones with so much to offer. Plus, it's a backwoods slasher - that sub-genre probably has the best track record in the slasher canon. From MADMAN to the brain-altering DON'T GO IN THE WOODS. Check it out, young lass.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

:p This looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

[​IMG]

19. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

when it open at the theatres it received plenty of negatives reviews, mostly about how boring the film was. This is one of the few film I actually fell asleep watching.

From what I hear, I think the reason Anchor Bay backed out of the release was because they were looking for the un-cut version (with tons of insect footages and talk) and Roger Corman chop that off and edited it down after making a few sales overseas. Most likely the original negatives is butchered and Anchor Bay couldn't find the lost scenes. It happens to many films.

As for this deluxe edition, it'll never happen. Summer and Edwin Brown will not do interviews or commentary. They told me they sold the outright to Roger Corman and even they didn't even care much about the film. They turned us down on the HUMAN EXPRIEMENTS extra.

As for BESERKER, it was made by Jef Richard who worked with William Lustig on many films. when Lustig left Anchor Bay, I guess the deal died?

20. Katatonia

I guess so, since it's been years now. I have a R2 DVD of Berserker which isn't too shabby...better than my old worn VHS anyways.