Anyone use/recommend ONLINE DATABASES for collections?

Discussion in 'General' started by wago70, Aug 10, 2012.

1. skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy New Member

Let me know if you find one. I'd love to catalogue all my movie posters!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed. I've used it for about 8 years, and the one-time fee of $25 I paid was a bargain. If I want a mobile version, they have that too. If you already own hundreds or thousands of DVD/Blu-rays in your collection, $25 is nothing at all to spend for a lifetime fee.

And if yet another physical medium supplants Blu-rays, I know that my lifetime Profiler subscription will cover that and I won't have to pay yet again.

I often look at the back covers to find information, and check the easter eggs when I pull out something new.

Often I research foreign DVD or Blu-rays, and can't find the back coverscans anywhere else online except in the Profiler database. That has saved me a lot of $$ many times, just by checking the release details/features/audio/subtitles/etc.

You can alphabetize the films in your online collection joe, just set it up in your account here and set it to Alpha by Title.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I hardly ever spend any time on the Invelos site, so I was looking for a place in the desktop program to organize them. But now it's all taken care of. Thanks again!

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I've been using DVDAF for years and love it. I think you are selling it a bit short Katatonia.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Took them FOREVER to register that 4-movie Universal Comedy pack with King Ralph, Ghost Dad, For Richer or Poorer on it.

Not that I'm all-for Profiler. I've never been too impressed with their design. Then, I heard... $20-30??? Wow, no thanks. I still have at least 4 DVD's I've wanted to buy for months that I haven't been able to afford because of that nagging RENT, ELECTRICITY, WATER, INTERNET, PHONE, and CABLE bill habit I've got. And High Spirits just went out of print like a month ago, so I'm hoping the seller holding a copy for $13 doesn't sell it or the prices start doubling. (Ah, the life of the lower class.)

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Is that a joke. Darn Internet needs to agree on a sarcasm font.

I make submissions semi-regularly and they always get to it same day. So if something isn't there, no one has submitted it.

BTW, your "Universal Comedy pack" isn't very popular on DVDAF. Only the following have it in their collection. ;)

angry-scientist /owned/comedy-and-drama 140/519 DVDs
    artistversion1 /owned 909 DVDs
    blunden /owned/0-c 111/905 DVDs
    crimeboss1965 /owned 1630/2773 DVDs
    darthprime /owned 166/251 DVDs
    deadlyspawn /owned 683 DVDs
    dvdmon /owned 1136 DVDs
    kitcat1782 /owned 374 DVDs
    penetron /owned 2888 DVDs

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

This is out of the blue but did anyone notice there was a recent update/version to the program DVDProfiler? Version 3.9.0

Seriously thought the makers abandon the program. Still use(and love) the program but I never go to the site or forum. The last update 3 years ago, Version 3.8.0 , released June 6, 2012.

The release notes, if anyone is interested:

http://www.invelos.com/dvdpro/ReleaseNotes.aspx?version=3.9

8. Katatonia

Yeah everybody always thinks Ken is abandoning the program, but he always shows up out of the blue with updated beta versions and release versions soon after.

There's a ton of changes, but probably the biggest change is that alternate profiles can now be added for re-releases or identical UPCs, and multiple movies on a single disc(s) can now have their own separate profiles if desired.

Now I'm sure he'll work on the online update, which has been promised for some time now.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Curious, whenever adding new movies/television seasons, do you say yes to add child entries?

So like if it's a Blu-ray / DVD combo, do you add both and for let's say Game of Thrones Season 3 do you add all the separate parts?

I personally do on seasons , but not on combos. It's the only thing that I don't like about the program. So let's say you got 1000 movies/TV it now shows up like you got 2400 movies in your list. It should not give a separate number in the main list to each disc in a TV season. Unless of course there's some feature to change the look that I don't know about. I admit I only know(and use) the very basics of the program. Mostly for a database. Like I don't put in the prices or utilize the lending features, etc...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. Katatonia

You can easily give no number (blank) to any profile. Just right click on a profile, choose "Personalize" and then check Collection Number as "None" — and that way it won't count to your collection number total.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

See, I never knew that existed. Thanks for the tip.

12. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I have the mobile version of DVD Profiler on my phone (Android), and it sucks. It's glitchy, and can't do anything online, even the most basic things like viewing my collection. Is the desktop version really that much better? Does it integrate well with the mobile version, and won't carry over all the glitches?

13. Katatonia

Yeah, the Android app is glitchy. Some people can get it to run flawlessly, and others have problems.

The PC version is just far more powerful... you can do just about anything with it.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Don't have the mobile version. But I find using the dvd collection "page" works seamlessly.

Simply having that page bookmarked on my cell phone's browser works well. As far as my needs, just seeing the list is the good enough.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I've never bothered with the mobile version cuz most people said the same things you are. I'm not down with paying for things that don't work.
    But the desktop version is great and highly recommended.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just noticed DVD Profiler updated again. (2nd time in 2 months)

Version 3.9.1

17. Katatonia

Yup, but it's really just a minor update to fix some bugs.

18. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I'm in the process of re-cataloging my BD collection with Bluray.com's free online app. I noticed the DVD Profiler app randomly deleting entries, and that was the last straw. I'm done with that crap.

19. Katatonia

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Here again to inform that there is a version 4.0 for DVDProfiler

Came out 9/16/2017. First new update since 2 years ago. Sweet!!!

Myron Breck likes this.