Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Very cool post. I never heard this story about Cary Grant. It would have been really cool to see Grant as the Phantom. I do like Hammer's 1962 version though. I think it's very underrated. Herbert Lom did a tremendous job as the Phantom.

X-human likes this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, Herbert Lom was great as usual. It's mostly the final act that suffers from being a bit too watered down. Although I did like the fact that they showed more of him trying to teach her. But it's intriguing to consider what Cary Grant would have been like. Pure arm chair speculation on my part, but fun to speculate.

Sven showed Dracula's Daughter this morning on the replay and included a small tribute to Zacherley dedicating the episode. He may do more dedication in tonight's airing of Meet Frankenstein but I expect we will see that next Saturday night instead (it's a tight turn around, he may have already taped his mail bag segment weeks ago).

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I love this show, but it is harder to watch as an adult. As a kid, I loved these kinds of things, but now all these films are available to us in a multitude of formats (unedited, no commercials), but when a film I like is on, I record it and just scan through it and watch the Svengoolie parts.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Steven Spielberg's Duel! And he showed it in full 16x9 too. Hadn't seen this in ages. Really well done and very cinematic; hard to believe Spielberg was even working with a standard TV crew to make it. For comparison, The Car (which is a total rip-off) probably had more time and a bigger budget, but hasn't got anything of Duel. I hadn't realized Richard Matheson had written Duel. I known Spielberg probably avoided this type of work after Jaws, but he really needs to get back into the game and shoot a solid thriller again. Maybe take another hand at the original concept that supposedly spawned Gremlins and even ET!

BTW, when the truck gets the bus going after the push, don't they show the kids going past making faces at him? I'm kinda surprised Sven would cut that out as it's his style of humor but they probably had to cut stuff somewhere.

No mention of Zacherley which is a little surprising. Not that I thought he need to do anything huge but at least a word or two during the mail bag segment would seem appropriate.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Svengoolie was out in the suburbs for a signing and I decided to swing by and got his signature. Plus I finally got a t-shirt*! I didn't say much besides thanking him for doing Svengoolie and Stooge-a-Palooza for all those years. He was very gracious and we talked a bit about monster magazines. I was going to thank him for introducing the Bears Monday Night game and suggest he start doing it for all of them because it broke our losing streak against the undefeated Vikings no less! But even a simple remark like that flew out of my head. :oops: I must go out to see him host a screening at Flashback Weekend next time.

(*) I ended up dropped that t-shirt in the parking lot! Fortunately I noticed when I was less than a mile away. I drove back and found it laying in my previous parking spot.

11/19 The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
    Also known as "Frankenstein Jumps the Shark." Something of a pity after the indelible Son of Frankenstein forged a new mythos after James Whale left horror for good. Much of the cast of Wolf Man is back: Chaney, Lugosi, Bellamy and Evelyn Ankers who couldn't shake herself from Junior over the remaining decade. Although Lugosi gets the blame for the staggering Monster, Chaney did it first here lumbering around without the subtle pantomime of Karloff to humanize the character. So we end up with not much more than a robot. Throw in some zany brain swaps and a perfectly rational scientist out of the blue having a hallucination which drives him to help not destroy the monster (a note that gets hit over and over again in the coming sequels) and you get some good clean fun without that precode grit and crime. Stupid Hays Code.

11/26 The Land Unknown (1957)
    With Thanksgiving comes King Kong, and with it all the giant monsters we can stomach over the weekend! So it was terrific that Sven had this on for my Saturday morning. Although the giant monsters are all very dopey I find the script, actors and overall production (like sets) to be rather good. The sets with the plants and water go way beyond what other similar films put up on the screen and the designers really tried to replicate the environment of the period with the style of trees and no grass for example. Overlooked.

12/03 The Black Cat (1941)
    Not even the first "Black Cat" from Universal that you might reach for on a dark and stormy night, but it'll do. It's nice to see Gale Sondergaard get the upper hand for once in her role as the house keeper of a spooky mansion. On the other hand poor Bela Lugosi is given very little to do; which is too bad because he seems to have flesh out a character almost Ygor like with his devotion to the cats.

12/10 The Night Walker (1964)
    I hadn't seen this one before from William Castle. It was a lot better than I was anticipating as people say Castle takes a pretty bad dive past his few hits. But I found it to be full of a lot of Gothic flourishes you don't see too often from Hollywood during that era and I can appreciate that if nothing else. Gotta love Barbara Stanwyck in everything she does. I was impressed with Hayden Rorke who I always found exceptional in I Dream of Jeannie but is truly another man playing creepy as the blind jealous husband. It is a ludicrous plot though and the twists make zero sense really.

12/17 Weird Woman (1944)
    Like a lot of movies with Lon Chaney Jr, he's playing a pretty big asshole that as far as the movie is concerned isn't really being an asshole at all. I don't know if other male actors routinely took a lot of their roles back a step or two to fix such characterization or if studios told writers to make Chaney's potential roles that way, but it's not like every male role was like that in the 40's. So of course women fawn all over him. :rolleyes: Of the Inner Sanctum films I've seen this is possibly the spookiest with witchcraft thrown around left and right and its karma like ending. Plus it's a plum role finally for Evelyn Ankers and even Elizabeth Russell is given a lot more to do here than just look creepy-beautiful.

Rumor has it that Sven will be showing more Godzilla next year! Besides 1966's Batman a few years ago Sven hasn't shown anything but the Universal catalog so this is an interesting development IF true.

indrid13 and othervoice1 like this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

For once the rumors were true and Sven's packed the whole month of February with yee-olde Kaiju! I always enjoy it when Sven puts on this two staple Universals KKvG and KK Escapes so this is a nice breath of fresh air for Sven fans.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    Been a long while since I've seen this, and even then I'll put on the original Japanese theatrical version so this is a nice excuse to watch the American version again. Having seen a lot of WW2 footage this is a very raw looking film nearly indistinguishable from not just the atomic bomb sites but the fire bombing done all over Japan and also wiped out Tokyo in a torrent of flames. Much like the early spook films of the 20's and the 30's reminiscent of the horrors of WW1, it is clear the fallout of the war was weighing on everyone's mind during this era. One thing that struck me was how radio and TV are used to not only inform but at one point giving the scientist the impetuous to change his heart and use a weapon the could kill Gojira.

Godzilla Raids Again ( Gigantis: the Fire Monster ) (1959)
    I haven't seen this one, and overall is rarely screened on TV, so it's a special treat for Sven to be showing this. Interesting that it opens much like Creature From the Black Lagoon and has another sequence were they take pains to explain evolution. Such footage in front of the latest Godzilla may have been considered controversial today! Anyways, the WW2 comparisons continue with government organized evacuations, blackouts, flares and military plan. Also we have more of a closer look at the boots on the ground actions of troops and pilots than the later films focusing on the generals and officials planning. More of a pre-planned reactive force than the disaster styled response we see in the other films. British giant monster movies like Gorgo also tended to show a lot of first person evacuations reminiscent of air raids. American monster movies of the 50's tended instead to focus on the combat footage, much as the bulk of Americans only got to see in newsreels.

Tonight is Mothra! Followed by (the simply awful) Godzilla's Revenge. Looks like in March we're back to the Universal Shock package.

02/18 Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
    02/25 Godzilla's Revenge ( All Monsters Attack ) (1969)
    03/04 Werewolf of London (1935)

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964)
    Eh... I don't get Mothra. I really don't. Watched the original Mothra last year in theaters with Rifftrax and still didn't like it. Watched this and I still don't like it. It's neither fish nor fowl. It's just one big "What the fuck?" and in the end basically they harass Godzilla until he just gets fed up and leaves. That's not an ending. That's a time out. Although it occurs to me KKvsGz basically ends the same way... :oops:

Godzilla's Revenge ( All Monsters Attack ) (1969)
    You know... Sven really helped make this movie bearable. But just barely. He added a lot of Svensurrond Sound effects for the first segment which was great; even popping up himself in the movie. But he didn't keep up the Svensurrond; only sprinkling in the occasional sound bite there after. I'm also proud to say I got his Pictionary sketch which was one of his hardest! Damn dude! And it only occurred to me today that the abandoned factory may have been bombed out in WW2! Watching Yakuza Papers really opened my eyes to a lot of the context for the movies of this era. Criminals couldn't afford guns so a switch blade was as good as it got! And knowing the economic turmoil from reconstruction and seeing the boy's parents both working and pulling double shifts... Seeing his mom crying at the end when she says she's going to cut back on a shift and the kid tells her it's alright he understand she needs to keep working? DAMN! :( I don't care what people say about Gojira, this one's depressing!

Well I'm glad those two were over, and it was fun overall to get me some Godzilla. Despite a Criterion title in our midst March isn't looking all that great:

03/04 Werewolf of London (1935)
    03/11 Phantom of the Opera (1943)
    03/18 Uninvited, The (1944)
    03/25 Dracula (1931) w/French score (circa 40's/50's?)

We were just talking about half these movies 'round here! Though not in a good way. ;)

Sven's shown Dracula before with this additional score last year; which I missed because originally it was advertised as the Philip Glass score and with another engagement I ended up missing it. Apparently it uses needle drop music and was done in either the 40's or 50's in France either for theatrical re-release or early TV broadcasts. Either way it's done well from what I've heard (much better than the recent Murders in the Rue Morgue Blu-ray which is apparently messing with the dialog).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Erick H. likes this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    http://svengoolie.com/?p=19676

I kept meaning to post this for two weeks now! And while I'm at it here's the September schedule:

10PM EST 09/02/17 Monster on the Campus (1958)
    8PM EST 09/09/17 Hercules Against the Sons of the Sun ( Ercole contro i figli del sole ) (1964)
    8PM EST 09/16/17 It Came from Outer Space (1953)
    8PM EST 09/23/17 Frankenstein (1931)
    8PM EST 09/30/17 The Wolf Man (1941)

Playing an Italian peplum as the inaugural movie for Sven's new slot is interesting and apparently is the official start of their 2018 season. So another interesting choice for that. With the Toho films this season and a public domain film to open the new season Sven's really been weening off of Universal's classics.

But with the combo of ICfOS, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man back to back to back like that right before October I can't help but wonder if Sven's contract expires at the end of 2017...

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Great news he is starting earlier. I work Sat and Sun, thus I can't stay up too late and typically missing the last hour of his show. Now I'll be able to catch it all every week!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Yes, that peplum is strange especially since the others are such "normal" picks. There doesn't seem to be anything notable about it although Giuliano Gemma (Ringo, Tenebrae) is in it.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine always dropboxes them for me and even edits in the SVEN segments into shows that SVEN runs trimmed for time/content, he sends me the uncut versions with the host segments cut in. Very nice of him !