Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by booper71, Apr 25, 2013.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Tarantula was mostly dull. It started out kinda fun with Tom Atkins and a pretty entertaining plan crash recovery sequence. But after that it became simply functionary without showmanship. It did impress me with some surprising deaths and a more "let's all work together" than average plot but overall it just didn't execute that in an entertaining way. As low as Ants set the bar it was funner.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    chancetx likes this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I got a week behind on Svengoolie and didn't see Dr. T, and since I hadn't see it before I didn't want to read Sven threads elsewhere in case anything was spoiled. But after Mad Magician this morning I thought I'd poke my head in (so now I'm TWO weeks) and there's some big news I hadn't noticed. THE UNIVERSAL MOVIES WERE PULLED from the March schedule! Replacing with replays of the very recent Ants and Monster Zero (which aired almost a year ago). Which is too bad as Hold That Ghost is an absolute favorite of mine. More of a favorite than even Meets Frankenstein!

NEW March schedule:
    3/17 The Mad Magician (1954) [Instead of Revenge of the Creature]

3/24 Ants ( It Happened at Lakewood Manor ) (1977) [Instead of Mad Magician]

3/31 Godzilla vs. Monster Zero ( Kaijû daisensô ) (1965) [Instead of Hold that Ghost]

So rumor mill starts up, "has Sven and Universal had a falling out?" "Hard balling contract negotiations?" "Scheduling mistake?"

But now the first April title is announced, and It's a Universal Picture! A rare one too:

4/7 Dinosaurus! (1960)

So interesting... Very interesting... Sven has since followed up on social media that the "gillman will be back" so that's most interesting.

Could it be the long rumored Revenge of the Creature restoration has been completed or very soon will be? And Universal decided to let Sven in on it and delay the broadcast to wait for it? Would be a little surprising, but then Universal let Svengoolie premiere his HD broadcast with The Birds so they've had a history of playing nice.

And I can't help but think that Revenge is the film Sven notoriously broadcast in 3D... And it didn't work. ;) Could they be thinking of taking another go at it since this is a 3D restoration to boot?!? Even wilder speculation on my part as they can't utilize new technology of the air. So I don't think either Universal or Sven would want to bother BUT I can't help but wonder...

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

April schedule:
    04/07 Dinosaurus! (1960)
    04/14 Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953)
    04/21 Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959) [Three Stooges {Joe DeRita}]
    04/28 Mr. Sardonicus (1961)

So two Universals back to back, and then two Columbias back to back. Not much for horror but William Castle's making an early appearance from the Columbia back catalog so it's a sure thing we'll be seeing lots of him. And if Sven is dipping so deep as to screen Dr. T and Three Stooges then I suspect Ray Harryhausen titles will not be far behind.

[​IMG]

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

May schedule:
    05/05 Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
    05/12 The Blob (1958)
    05/19 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
    05/26 Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (1977)

So wow, not just one but two Harryhausen's from Columbia plus a new distributor in the mix with The Blob! Not certain what agency is controlling TV broadcast with Blob so it's hard to say what if anything else may come along. There's an over the air channel generically called "Movies!" in Chicago that frequently shows Blob so I figured that couldn't cost much. They show a lot of other cheap horror/sci-fi/fantasy productions too, even from Britain, so we might see some of those. I wonder if Fiend Without a Face (1958) could be a possibility as Sven as said he wants to show it.

And with a repeat of Tarantulas I think it's safe to say Mysterious Island of Beautiful Women (1979) and Terror Out of the Sky (1978) will be coming along at some point over the summer. Additionally all the remaining Godzilla's he had last year are reportedly going to be repeated.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

June Schedule:
    6/02 Werewolf of London (1935)
    6/09 The Mole People (1956)
    6/16 Man Made Monster (1941)
    6/23 The Night Walker (1964)
    6/30 The Leech Woman (1960)

And back to Universals. I just happen to watch the MST3k versions of Mole People and Leech Woman just this past month, but I'll watch 'em again they're pretty fun (especially the Mole Men).

Night Walker rather impressed me last time Sven showed it, but I hadn't seen it before. It's not a stand out film but it has it moments so I'm looking forward to seeing that too.

Werewolf of London is kinda unrated in my book. I enjoy the pulpy plot which reads more like a comic book than the other Universals. So that's always welcome.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

July Schedule:
    07/07/18 Medusa Against the Son of Hercules, The ( Perseo l'invincibile ) (1963)
    07/14/18 Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The (1966)
    07/21/18 Barracuda (1978)
    07/28/18 Munster, Go Home (1966)

Repeats from over the past season. Much like Ghost and Mr. Chicken, I've grown to like Munster Go home after a showing up on Sven a few times. The fact that Marilyn is now a redhead goes a long way in stoking my appreciation.
    [​IMG]

Erick H. likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

August Schedule:
    08/04 Son of Frankenstein (1939)
    08/11 The Wolf Man (1941)
    08/18 House of Frankenstein (1944)
    08/25 House of Horrors (1946)

The 2019 season of Svengoolie starts in September I believe, so these will be the last block of repeats.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

September Schedule:
    09/01 The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (1953)
    09/08 Terror Out of the Sky (1978)
    09/15 Rodan ( 空の大怪獣 ラドン ) (1956)
    09/22 Revenge of the Creature (1955)
    09/29 The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

Sorry Dr. Seuss fans if I was too late for you. ;)

I suspect Revenge will use the newly created restoration and is probably Svengoolie's 2019 season premiere episode. Kinda fun that he put the two Creature features back to back.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Svengoolie showed some clips of his upcoming 2018/2019 season during Dr. T and besides Creatch (which I anticipate to be from the new master) and Abbott/Costello they showed clips from:

Thirteen Ghosts (1960)
    The Werewolf (1956)

And so I think we can expect more of the Sony/Columbia catalog like The Tingler, maybe The Return of the Vampire, and more Harryhausen.

I'm going to email Sven for the first time to try and nudge The Giant Claw for Thanksgiving. I might be a bit late for that though.