April Fool's Day!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mattapooh, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Oh come on, I know I'm not the only one who watched this today. Hands up for those who did!

I'm talking about the original by the way, not the remake.

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Almost watched the remake on Netflix (instant viewing) today just for the hell of it, but thought better of it after seeing that terrible cover art.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I've watched the original today. It's still a pretty tight and fun movie. Deborah Foreman gives great performance, and so does the rest of the cast. Too bad Deb never made it big though.
    Looks like she just completed a new movie according to IMDb however. Her first in over 16 years :)

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Watched this last night after having not seen it in years. Holds up very well. I was actually surprised at the quality of the acting in it compared to many other '80s slashers I've revisited in recent years.

5. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I've got both, the 1986 original and the 2008 remake on DVD, but I didn't watch either of them yesterday due to work. ugh. I love the 1986 original. Very entertaining and an excellent group of actors. I love the locations they used too. Gorgeous scenery.

BTW, does anyone else think Deborah Goodrich (Nikki) looks and sounds a lot like Sarah Michelle Gellar?

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The remake, if thats what you want to call it, is average. Nothing like the original. Why not call it part 2 or something.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  7. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I tried to watch this but my dvd got sick and sput out the dvd.The more dvds I try to watch the more my all region wont play.Damn thing.

Sean

8. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

great original, one of the 80's sleeper slashers when the genre was fading out.

The remake, you me "abomination".

The remake is a completely different film and deals with a group of post high school rich bastards, the only saving grace for the film is that the lead actress is probably the most beautiful woman to ever grace horror.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I'm big on the cast of the original as well. Tom Wilson (Bif from Back to the Future and the gym coach from Freaks & Geeks) is always fantastic, and the dude with the camcorder and sunglasses was in Just One of the Guys.

Also, Leah Pinsent (she played Nan) is my girlfriend's cousin, and she (my girlfriend) went to go see this back in the day when she was in the eighth grade. With her mom. Yeah, all those sex jokes must've been REAL comfortable.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

avoid the remake like the plague i heard it makes the new day of the dead,the fog and when a stranger calls remakes look like oscar worthy films

11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched the original Monday night and it still holds up great. Every time I see Amy Steel I wish she had been in some more flicks.

Sadly, I also watched the remake over the weekend. I can usually be forgiving when it comes to bad movies but this one was just putrid. And to make matters worse, it wasn't even so bad it's good. Just... bad.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I agree,there is something about the two that is quite similar.They aren't dead ringers but they resemble,and they speak the same way,their facial expressions are very much alike.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I agree, I always thought she did a great job in the two horror movies she was in. Very into it. Also she still looks good today. Seen her in a coulple of tv appearances.

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Uh oh...I rented the remake today. I expect it to be shit though, and it's sort of free as it was a Blockbuster in-store exchange for flicks I rented over the internet. On a side note, that in-store exchange bit is the ONLY reason I stick with the BB plan along with my Netflix one. Netflix is SO much better in terms of selection, prompt shipping, and having movies in stock. In the 6 or 7 months I have been on the BB plan, there are at least 15-20 movies in my queue that are still listed as "coming soon" that have been out for MONTHS!!

15. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I've always thought that the cast of April Fools Day was like a "Who's Who of 80's Actors Who Should Have Gone Further"...It's not to suggest that they all dropped out of sight, the fact is that all of them are still working in the business on some level or another, and have been relatively active up through recent times. It's just too bad that none of them really hit the big time, although a couple came close...

I think that if April Fool's Day works on any level at all, for me it's due almost 100% to their performances...What could have been a totally mediocre movie was elevated by the cast.

I have no desire to see the remake though...I didn't like the original THAT much.

16. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Wow...so, um..okay...Here's one reason to never go exploring links on the internet....Looking up some of the actors on IMDB produced this nugget:

http://www.leahpinsent.ca/musicalinterlude.htm

"Thighmaster, phone momma, change the kitty litter"... (sniff)

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Bump.

Anybody watching today?

18. Erick H.

Sadly I didn't have time. I wish it would get the deluxe Blu Ray treatment.

baggio and Buechlers_beard like this.
  19. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I'd stump up the cash for this on BD. Is the original ending lost or does it exist somewhere?

20. Erick H.

I know there are stills from it but I'm not sure if the sequence still exists on film or not. I have a slightly oversized poster for the film that was originally in a NY subway station in primo shape.

baggio and Buechlers_beard like this.