Are Horror Releases on Blu-ray Slowing Down?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by elDomenechHDG, Nov 11, 2017.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure how to title this thread but the general question I'm posing here is this: Are we in for less horror output from the Blu-ray labels going forward? Consider:

Vinegar Syndrome is starting off 2018 with 2 prison-themed exploitation flicks. I didn't see hints for any other titles so this has to be their weakest lineup since the current month. VS typically offered at least one horror title with their month packages but I'm seeing a pattern of more exploitation/less horror, in addition to a general slowness in terms of output. November is very light, they're taking the entire month of December off and only 2 titles for January.

Arrow hasn't had a decent horror lineup since September (I don't count THE THING since it's a reissue) and other than the upcoming Cat O'Nine Tails (another reissue and which isn't even really horror) they have NOTHING lined up. November is super lame, they have an arthouse 60's drama on tap for December and practically nothing for January. I realize these are traditionally slow months but this is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Severin seems to be picking up the pace so maybe they'll end up being next year's hot horror label. They also seem to be the only label (other than VS) actually picking up new titles and not just reissuing older ones. They keep that up and they're going to quickly become my new favorite label. On tap for next year: Threads (1984) and The Changeling, in addition to a reissue of Lenzi's EATEN ALIVE. That's already a great lineup.

Shout Factory seems to be shifting towards more classic horror, which is an area I tread very carefully in. It's not my among my preferred eras for genre films tbh. Other than Cyborg, I don't think they even have a January lineup (unless I missed the other announcements).

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Fortunately I own most of the horror films that I want on blu-ray. Two films I thought would never get released, The Hidden and Innocent Blood, just came out. I know Twilight Time has slowed their output from the genre, probably because people lose their minds with every horror blu-ray they've ever produced. Physical media is hurting in general. Classic comedies and TV shows are doomed to DVD and streaming. Horror at least sells reasonably well.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well let me steal a list from similar thread on another forum of upcoming titles. These alone we'll certainly be seeing in the next three to six months (or so):

Assignment Terror (Code Red)
    Blood on Satan's Claw (Severin)
    The Blood Spattered Bride (Mondo Macabro)
    The Changeling (Severin)
    The Church (Scorpion)
    City of the Dead (Cohen)
    City of the Living Dead (Code Red)
    The Curious Dr. Humpp / Room of Chains (SWV/AGFA)
    The Day After (Criterion)
    The Day the Earth Caught Fire (Cohen)
    Dear Dead Delilah (Vinegar Syndrome)
    The Diabolical Dr. Z (Redemption)
    Dracula vs. Frankenstein (Severin)
    Dracula's Fiancee (Redemption)
    Fleshpot on 42nd St. / Guru, the Mad Monk (SWV/AGFA)
    Fugitive Girls (Vinegar Syndrome)
    The Fury of the Wolf Man (Code Red)
    Hell Night (1981) (Shout!)
    The Horrible Sexy Vampire (Dorado)
    Horrors of the Black Museum (Synapse)
    Mark of the Werewolf (Code Red)
    The Maze 3-D (Kino)
    The Mummy's Revenge (Code Red)
    Night of the Living Dead (Criterion)
    Opera (Code Red)
    The Psychic (Scorpion) aka Seven Notes in Black
    Scum of the Earth (Grindhouse) aka Poor White Trash II
    Seven Bloodstained Orchids (Code Red)
    The Spiral Staircase (Kino)
    Suspiria (Synapse)
    Terminal Island (Vinegar Syndrome)
    Trailers from Hell (Synapse)
    Watch Me When I Kill (Synapse)
    Who Could Kill a Child? (Mondo Macabro)
    Trilogy Of Terror (Kino)
    Games (Shout!)
    Night Walker (Shout!)
    Night Of The Demon (indicator)
    Night of the Seagulls (Shout!)

So that's just a lazy list I stole which is just the tip of the iceberg for 2018.

I think most companies blow their Horror load in the Fall, and recover a bit over the Holidays, and then start back at a regular pace soon after. VinSyn is a great example because they've loaded up October and saved a couple mystery titles for Black Friday, but EVERY YEAR they take December off. (good for them!) I think one of them said for 2017 they switched to a format where they had a Horror title every month so people didn't cry the sky is falling every other month... o_O

It's a busy time of year. During the Holidays they make money on what's here now. So announcement aren't a priority. And spending always tappers off at the beginning of the new year. Since titles sell their most copies on their release week it's natural to push them back when the general public's coffers refill after Holiday spending. So we won't be seeing much of announcements for a few months either (because they naturally are only a few months ahead of the actual release).

This happens every year. And some years are always better than others. And some months are always better than others even in a good year.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I pretty much stopped buying movies.
    Most of the stuff coming out, especially from Code Red, Vinegar Syndrome, Shout etc., just don't interest me anymore.

The only movies I wanna buy at the moment, are Synapse new Suspiria release, when a regular release comes, and The Thing from Arrow.
    Hell Night is another one I want, but otherwise, I can't really thing of anything else I want at the moment.

A few years back, I used to buy 15-20 movies a month.
    Now, it's barely 10 movies a year.

After collecting movies for 30 years, it just doesn't excite me as much anymore.
    I'm satisfied with the collection I have, and I watch a lot on streaming, these days.

New 4K releases of the Fulci horror films, would be exciting, since most of them are stuck with old scanner noise transfers (especially City of the Living Dead).
    But otherwise, I don't know what would give me that kick again.

Rare stuff like Deodatos "Atlantis Interceptors" (aka Raiders of Atlantis) etc, would probably reignite the flame, as I'm more into Italian cult movies.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

giphy-29.gif

SaviniFan, hots4 and Natas like this.
  6. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I want suspiria also but no way I'll pay. $50 for it and if that's the future of physical media that we will have $50 releases then I'm not so sure I can stick with physical media. Or maybe they should do dvd instead so I can get it for a price that is reasonable. If blu ray increases prices to $50 it's not worth it.

dave13 likes this.
  7. Steel76

Don't know how your experiences have been with streaming, but I haven't had anything but flawless playback for years.
    No lag or stutter. I rather stream a movie, than pay $20-$30 for a movie I will only watch once and never again.

loutoad23 likes this.
  8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I hate when companies apply the the exclusive edition mentality to EVERY release--but this is SUSPIRIA. It's a landmark title, and it needed a ton of work. Synapse is rightfully renowned for their uncompromising WHEN IT'S DONE commitment to quality restoration. Previous releases of Suspiria have been lacking because no one wanted to go to the necessary financial lengths to do it right. So why is this release expensive? Simple. This kind of shit costs money--A LOT OF MONEY.

As far as I'm concerned, having the opportunity to lay hands on a Synapse restoration of a landmark genre film like Suspiria is a dream come true--even at $50. I won't pay that kind of money for something like Popcorn because, in my opinion, Popcorn doesn't justify that level of restoration expense. Suspiria does.

We all want top-quality releases of the classics, but, if we really want THE BEST POSSIBLE QUALITY, we have to be willing to subsidize some of the costs involved. $50 for an appropriately spectacular transfer of Suspiria is a bargain if you care about the movie as much as some of us do. If you don't, you'll be able to get a bare-bones version at a much more reasonable price a few more months down the line.

Don May, if you're lurking, I'll shell out TWICE this much for a definitive release of Halloween with the THX edition color timing. Please?

gobad2003, Fistfuck, hots4 and 6 others like this.
  9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'd say no. In fact this is the first time I'm overwhelmed by releases.

If anything the opposite.

Severin, Indicator and Code Red have stayed busy in horror.

gobad2003 and Aldous like this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm just teasing you. As a blu-ray collector, I'm bummed out about the decline of physical media. Streaming makes sense for studio's and the majority of consumers.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are slowing down, but I don't necessarily see it. As a genre fan, I find something pretty much every week that I'm interested in, even if I'm not "over-the-moon" excited.

I do have two possible explanations to offer.

1.) There are genre fans who are only interested in the big titles. Carpenter, Craven, Friday The 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, The Exorcist, The Evil Dead, Carrie, American Werewolf, etc. With a few notable exceptions (Night Of The Living Dead & Dawn Of The Dead for example), we have pretty solid blu-ray editions of all of those. For that fan, there's not much left to get excited about.

2.) Genre releases tend to peak during September / October. It's currently November. A slight decline is to be expected until next fall rolls around.

This fall we got The Resurrected, After Midnight, Ruby, Night School, Innocent Blood, The Hidden, Psychos In Love, Demon Wind, Blood Beat, The Corpse Grinders, 976-EVIL, a definitive Children Of The Corn, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Night Angel, Rawhead Rex, Summer Of Fear, Slaughter High, The Devil's Rain, Amsterdamned, The Lift, Down, to name a few. To be fair, there's not a lot of BIG titles in there, but for the more niche genre fans there's plenty of good stuff to choose from.

I would imagine January is a lite month for most labels anyway, as they want to get their stuff out there for Christmas shopping season.

Regarding Vinegar Syndrome, you're forgetting they have two mystery horror titles available on Black Friday. They also recently revealed 3 horror titles planned for 2018, but they're all pretty niche. I'd had never heard of any of them, but they sound like fun discoveries.

I know it says Scream Factory's output is on the decline, but I'm pretty ecstatic for American Gothic and Hell Night. They're also giving us the Silent Night, Deadly Night blu-ray we should have gotten in the first place. I've never seen Dance Macabre, but it looks like something I'd dig. I haven't seen Piranha II: The Spawning since TV as a kid, and I'm oddly excited to see how it holds up. Gate II is also a fun one.

Code Red / Scorpion just dumped a bunch of genre titles out there: Slithis, The Being, The Witchmaker, Devil's Express, Cut And Run, The Sadist, Death Ship, plus their releases of Opera, The Church, and The Sect are coming soon.

Blue Underground has Deathdream coming later this month. I think they're working on remastering Dead & Buried and a few others as well.

I agree Arrow has gone lite recently. I've heard of one title they're currently working on, but I don't think I'm supposed to say. They also mentioned recently that they're working on Volumes 2 and 3 of American Horror Project. I'm really excited for the Romero boxset (mine just shipped), but I can see why a lot of horror fans wouldn't be crazy about these titles.

gobad2003 and X-human like this.
  12. Steel76

Yeah, I know how you feel though.
    I still wanna be able to buy physical of my favorite movies.
    But streaming works as an alternative, for not being able to rent movies any more.
    If rental stores was still around, I would prefer that to streaming.
    But sadly those days are gone...

I still think that physical will be around for another decade though.
    And as long as the cult labels make enough money on their releases, I think they will continue to release discs for many years to come.
    I'm just worried that the prices will rise to the level of how much Laserdiscs cost back in the 90:s.
    In those days, I was hard core enough to pay $80 for a Criterion or Special Edition of a horror movie.
    Not sure I would enjoy that kind of prices today :D

buck135 likes this.
  13. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Is Dear Dead Delilah official?

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Yes.

chancetx likes this.
  15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm in no rush to finalize my movie collection with the new format that just started. We should be close if not at the point where studios have reference quality material for many movies. Eventually they will start to make the end all physical versions. That's when I'll want many of those older horror movies.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

As people have already said, it's the time of year. We got a lot of good stuff in 2017, I expect 2018 to be the same.

With regards to physical media I don't see it stopping any time soon. What I will add is each country is different, physical media is still doing well here in the UK and have you ever seen the blu ray output From Germany? Those guys are pro physical media, so even if the rest of the world stopped releasing stuff, you would still be able to get it from there.

gobad2003, zbinks and buck135 like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Horror is my favorite genre to watch, so of course I always want to see more horror releases coming out. If you only collect certain subgenres of horror or horror from certain decades, then of course you often will be disappointed with the product offerings. Beyond horror, I love to watch cult movies in general. It seems like there is always something new or coming soon on the release schedule for me to get excited about. I just happen to get the most excited about the horror films in general. Just because one label might ease up on their horror output, it's typically a temporary status for them. There are always other labels to pick up the slack of those who may appear to be "slowing down." No need for panic. If you are well versed enough in horror & appreciate the variety that the genre offers, there is always something exciting on the horizon.

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Growing up I almost exclusively watched horror/sci-fi. In the past 30 years I've gotten much more diverse and I'm happy with any genre. I still mostly collect horror cult titles but there are so many wonderful films out there that limiting yourself doesn't make sense. Many people probably don't think about the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of films that have been made and no matter how much you watch you are only barely scratching the surface. I'm a Japanese film fan. Then I was introduced to Hong Kong movies. In the last two decades I've seen lots of Korean offerings. The possibilities are endless. With the Lure I just got my first Polish language film. I've never been into Bollywood films yet they have the second largest film industry behind the U.S.

satans-sadists likes this.
  19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think it's inevitable that things will slow down on any given format. There are a finite amount of horror films in the world, and an even smaller amount that folks think would be worth it to put on blu-ray. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of stuff coming out, but I guess it comes down to what you're into. For example, I've been really getting into all of the stuff Severin's sub-label, Intervision, has been putting out. Most of it is DVD, but that's really all you need as it's basically all cheap, no-budget SOV flicks. They seem to just keep pumping them out and I'll keep buying them, but I fully expect that well to run dry at some point.

I'm not too worried about it. I've stated before that I'm calling it quits at blu-ray. I'll never be in a living situation where I will be able to see the benefits of 4K and I feel like most of the current blu-ray releases of my favorite films are about as definitive as they'll ever be (Unless someone miraculously finds cut film elements for Friday the 13th 2, 3, and 7, which is doubtful). Honestly, there's a bit of contentment and relief I feel knowing that my quest for more and more movies does have an expiration date, even if it's yet to be determined.

Swampthing82 and gobad2003 like this.