Argento's "Four Flies on Blu Ray" ...erm..Grey Velvet!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cur...3-sham202-sham035-four-flies-grey-velvet.html

This calls for a very big [​IMG]

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I agree. It's such a fine film, I'll purchase for sure.

3. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Heard Koch Media (Germany) and a couple of other labels were planning to release this on BD as well. I'll definitely look forward to picking one of them up!

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow sweet. I'll definitely be buying this. Is Shameless a Euro company or N American?

~Matt

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

They're British. Whether or not this will be US friendly, I don't know.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Will certainly pick this up.

Attached Files:

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Most likely another conversion made in Italian labs... the fear!

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My thoughts exactly. Will have to see what comes out and judge.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Since I never bought the US DVD, I'll grab this one if it is US friendly.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think UK blu-rays are generally safe for the most part. That's the word on the street anyways.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If you mean region-free, there's still many UK Blu-ray releases that are "B" locked...some studios more than others. The recent Cross of Iron & Don't Look Now Blu-rays from Optimum are locked for example.

12. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Really hope these guys have a better source for Italian HD masters than Arrow does, this title really does deserve a solid release after all these years of hurdles and roadblocks.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
  14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

The only other Shameless release that I am familiar with is their New York Ripper Fan High Res edition or whatever. Does anyone know whether it is "B" locked or region-free?

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

This is one of those things that is usually dependent on the rights holder. Some licensors will make companies contractually promise to lock the disc for whatever region(s) covers the territories the company has purchased the rights in. The big studios tend to be the worst offenders in this regard, while the European companies that own many of these Italian films seem to be much more lenient about it.

16. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Yes... however a companies track-record is the best indicator of the liklihood as to whether it will be region-locked. For instance, we all know that any Arrow Blu-ray will only be region locked if they are forced to do so whereas many of the major studio region-lock nearly all releases for no good reason.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No they're region-locked mainly for rights issues. And actually, most major studios do not lock their titles. Titles released through Warner, Universal and Paramount are not region locked. Fox as of lately have been releasing many titles region-free, as well as Disney (who region-locked their titles initially, but as of lately they've started to make their titles region-free, I guess seeing as how every title they release is owned by Disney worldwide, there's no real point in region-locking a title). The only company that region-locks all their titles is Criterion, and for good reason. They license their titles from other studios, have features that are exclusive to their releases, etc and commonly do their own remastering. They're a distribution company, not a major studio (since they occasionally lose the rights to certain films they release).

In terms of copyright and licensing issues for certain geographical locations, I'd say yeah region-locking is done for good reason. Business purposes, mainly. Yeah it's a bitch, but I wouldn't say titles are region locked "for no good reason". Some are, yes, but region-locking is being done less and less frequently (and much less common than the region-locking of DVDs).

~Matt

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

What did you take several paragraphs to say that is not exactly what I said other than to dispute that locking is done for "no good reason"? I understand that rights-issue force a company to region-lock titles. However, different distributors/studios have different policies regarding region-locking. Some will lock only what is required to be locked- usually due to films whose rights are owned by different distributors in different parts of the world- & take every available opportunity to release a title region-free. Whereas other studios, traditionally Sony, Fox & Disney, will region-lock nearly every single release even when they own right to the title in every part of the world- these are the culprits I cited for locking titles for "no good reason." Sure, I understand that it is a business decision but that doesn't constitute a "good reason" when it just means squeezing money out of different parts of the world at different times to spread out their earnings on a title. I was aware that Fox had begun to get away from this practice but was not aware that Disney had begun to do so &, as such, I applaud them.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Disney has certainly gotten better. Beauty and the Beast I'm pretty sure is region free. I know Bambi and the Tron films are too.

~Matt

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Well, we're talking about slightly different things here. There's a difference between companies who own the rights and release their films through their own home video arm, and third party independent companies who license them. With a few exceptions, most independent companies PREFER to release their titles region free and do it whenever they can contractually get away with it.

Anyways, kind of irrelevant to the discussion at hand though, since the point I was trying to make was that, unlike the big studios, the companies who own most of these European movies are pretty lenient about letting them go out region free.