Argento's INFERNO

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Grim, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Ok, first of all, is this a good film? I plan on getting it but i want to hear some opinions. Now it claims on the back of the case that it's uncut and uncensored, yet it is still rated R. Was it just cut down for timing or something, or was it even less violent before?

2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I found this film incredibly boring :sleepy: It's my least favorite Argento flick.

3. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I though it was pretty good, doesn't make very much sense but its still a fun somewhat slow movie. There are some really cool scenes in it too. Not sure about the rating, The AB disc is uncut so don't worry.

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

personally i loved it and i recommend it .. if you enjoyed Suspiria, go out and buy it tomorrow

5. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Agreed. A great cure for insomnia. :)

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Shame on you! INFERNO is Argento at it's best. My favorite argento films will always be
    INFERNO
    SUSPIRIA &
    STENDHAL.
    I will post again to name the qualities of the film and why anyone who says it's boring is WRONG and needs to be EXECUTED.

Just joking of course... :D :D :D
    ......NOT! :fire: :fire: :fire:

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's one of Argento's more abstract movies, where the plot seems to get side tracked and you end up spending most of the time watching weird stuff that has very little to do with anything else in the movie.

The movie really kicks into gear at the end though, and although most of the scenes don't fit together very well, they're still entertaining, I would recommend trying it before you buy it though.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Haven't watched it in at least a year or so, but I do really enjoy it. It's a bit slow and weird as hell, but that's actually necessary. The movie is about evil BUILDINGS. And not haunted buildings, which is the results of spirits or such, but the buildings themselves are malevolent.
    That's a damn weird concept, and tough to pull off. The fascinating scenes for me are at the beginning and the end, with the secret rooms. These rooms are
    bigger than the space that contains them
    , which is naturally impossible. Argento slows the pace of the film down in those scenes (sometimes going for 10 or more minutes with no dialogue) to lull the viewer into believing the impossible.

It's not always a "fun" film like Tenebrae, but it's nice to have in your Argento collection...

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

INFERNO rocks. One of the few Argento flicks I had to watch twice to really enjoy, but now I do. The opening water room scene is great, and so is the end when
    the witch hits the glass and becomes the skeleton
    . I fucking love that part. But yeah, it's a cool one. Definitely worth getting, but then again so are all of Argento's films*.

*By all I mean all of the ones I've seen, which is 9.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I bought this one the other day with PHENOMENA, and plan on watching both very soon. Sounds like it is a love it or hate it affair! I'll post what I think when I do get around to watching it though.

11. WKT

WKT Guest

You have to be in the supernatural mood since it is a witchcraft-type film. As a follow up to Suspiria, it has the same spectacular color palette. Special effects (ie the surprise end) are a bit cheesy by today's standards. I loved the old building and especially the initial basement water scene. The museum was kinda creepy too. I would say its a definite buy. Enjoy.

12. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

"phenomena" is argento's best, "inferno" is nothing amazing, but still enjoyable and eerie like most of his other early films, plus the music is fantabulous

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

PHENOMENA is pretty blah IMO, but you may like it Rhett. It's pretty much a fantasy tale with a black gloved killer thrown in. It's good...just pretty silly to me, especially when compared to his other films.

14. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

If one does not mind a feeble plot, Inferno is a great film. It is one of Argento's most colorful films. His use of color in this movie reminds one of Mario Bava. It has great atmosphere and some good killings.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

I am looking forward to getting up to speed with my Argento Andy, I've neglected the guy for much too long! PHENOMENA looks like it could be good, based only on the presence of J.Conn and Mack Daddy Pleasence.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I too enjoyed Phenomena with all its great FX more so than Inferno but Inferno isn't any sloucher either. It's in the same vein as Suspiria in the wacked out concept of it all. Both are must have though. ;)

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

SUSPIRIA has always been my favorite Argento film, and I remember being so disappointed when I saw INFERNO. As great as SUSPIRIA was, I guess my expectations were to high for its follow up. Anyhow, I actually really liked SUSPIRIA's storyline, but as others have said, INFERNO's didn't make much sense and was more about imagery and oddness. I love beautiful imagery and overall bizzareness, and after more viewings, I have come to absolutely love INFERNO, but I do think it is one of Argento's lesser works, but even his lesser works are spectacular films (minus POTO which is pure trash), so that's not a bad thing in the slightest!

On another note, SUSPIRIA's score by Goblin is easily one of my favorite scores in any film, and I must admit, I still don't really like Emerson's score for INFERNO to this date. It just doesn't work for me.

I also think the main character in INFERNO is probably the weakest lead in any Argento film. The guy's extremely wimpish. Not really a problem, but something I can't help but notice. ;)

As for PHENOMENA, it is my third (possibly second, as it and TENEBRE go back and forth) favorite Argento film, and it is just an all around spectacular experience! The score (the one over the opening credits, not the hard rock parts) is very moody and beautiful, and my beloved Jennifer Connelly is wonderful, but that's a given if you ask me. :) Donald Pleasance is great as well, and I love the idea with the insects, and Argento milks it to near perfection. I would go more in depth, but I don't want to spoil it for Rhett. I'll probably start my own thread on it later today. Simply put, PHENOMENA is a classic to be reckoned with!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2003
  18. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

no way, i have the "inferno" score on cd and i love it, it fits with the movie,
    but yeah, that lead actor is so stale and wooden, i havent watched the movie in years, but i can still remember his annoying voice in my head

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Inferno is classic Argento. However, it does not conform to some of the structures we know and love from films, and if you fight that, the movie is lost on you. It is thinking mans Argento. You have to spend time with this film, to be willing to watch it several times in order to get the most from it.

It goes without saying that it is certainly one of the two best Argento films IMHO. There is not a single lead in this film – there are actually two leads. The first half of the film is the sister, the last half belongs to the brother.

The imagery is second to none. Some of the set pieces have never been matched (the water scene). However, the film works on its own level – it does not comply to linear plot most of us are used to. It is dreamlike, a fairytale, and you have to go along with it, to get inside it. On the surface – as far s a casual viewer is concerned, you’ll likely find all kids of things to worry about – non-linear plot, strange soundtrack etc. But once you take the film on its own terms – it all makes sense.

Phenomena is a horrid. I have now seen it three times (I have the AB disc) and it is right at the other end of the Argento scale. I find it simplistic, uninspired and boring. I really do not rate Phenomena at all. I put it into the same group as Phantom of the Opera and Trauma – missteps from the great man.

20. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

No, it does not go without saying that Inferno is one of Argento's best. The film is not for thinking men either. It has a very simplistic, and at times, confusing plot. It is a beautiful film, and is perhaps Argento's most beautiful film.
    Phenomena actually has a plot which makes sense, and is a fun film. While not Argento's best, it is certainly good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.