Argento's 'Opera' in HD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sinister

sinister Active Member

If there's hiss on the English soundtrack on the German disc then most likely it's just using the same mono track as the Jap disc, as it has quite bad hiss and other random high frequency noise. It felt like the English mono track on the Jap disc was a real afterthought and is certainly the worst quality audio track I've ever heard on a blu-ray and probably even on a DVD for that matter.

2. Stige

Stige Active Member

Give it a try, after reading what diabolikdvd said about this release, fingers crossed and thank you santa.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Looks like Scorpion is working on Opera in the US. From their facebook page:

Been busy working on re-mastering Dario Argento's OPERA. My colorist and I spent over 45 hours on the color correction, The film had a fair amount of dirt, that we were able to clean up quite well. My colorist, who also does the majority of work for Scream Factory and Olive, said "This was one of the most challenging, but rewarding color jobs I ever did. The blacks are deep and the colors really pop. I'm extremely pleased with the way the final product looks, and I consider "Opera" one of my best works!" We did both 2:35 and 1:78, and we showed it to Opera/Argento expert Nathaniel Thompson to get his suggestions/thoughts about the color. He replied, "Wow, this is the best that OPERA has ever looked on home video; its colors are vibrant and beautiful, the reds are gorgeous. This is the most satisfying version on home video!" Hopefully once all the new extras are edited, including two recently shot interviews in English, two new interviews with two Italian talents that are getting English subtitles, along with 8 Italian language interviews we licensed from Freak-O-Rama, Code Red should have a street date soon. I am predicting this will be a three disc set, as I am planing on giving both OPERAs a single BD-50 treatment, and the 3rd disc will be all the on camera stuff (so far 12 on camera interviews!). So Im betting i will do a steelbox perhaps on this. I am confident this will be the ultimate OPERA BluRay, and I am proud to be producing everything on this disc.

https://www.facebook.com/scorpionreleasinginfo/posts/620445751448213

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So Scorpion is producing the set and Code Red is releasing it? That's what I kinda gathered from that post.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Great, then it will be impossible get my hands on the disc...

Oh well, I got this version, which also looks great, so I'll survive.
    [​IMG]

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Yes.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've never bought a Code Red release before as nothing they have released so far has caught my eye. Are they notoriously awful at putting out enough copies or something?

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Member

maybe not, I am trying to give this title a wider distribution

zbinks and Steel76 like this.
  9. Steel76

Yes, I just read your post in the other thread.
    Let's hope that it works out :)
    This is a title that really needs to be available everywhere, or at least as many places as possible.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Member

agreed

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Code Red are notoriously awful at customer service.

Code Red, if you buy from direct, only sells to/ships to the United States - so no Canadian/International shipping, which is fine if they only licensed a title for US distro, but it stems from "issues" he had with buyers asking for refunds when orders didn't show up. The only options to get Code Red titles outside of living in the US (which more than a fare share of us HorrorDigitial members do who'd like to pick up some of their releases) is to get them through DiabolikDVD/Screen Archives if they stock them, or wait till they show up on ebay or third-party sellers on Amazon at inflated prices.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. Steel76

Yep, and then he complains about low sales.
    Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

13. sinister

sinister Active Member

The Scorpion Blu-ray version is up for pre-order at Amazon.com , release date January 23rd.

https://www.amazon.com/Dario-Argentos-Blu-ray-Cristina-Marsillach/dp/B0776K3ZL9/

Hopefully the audio is better than the mono English track on the Jap Blu-ray, will report here once it arrives.

<edit> This is just the single disc release, apparently there will also be a 3 disc special edition (with the 2 different aspect ratio versions mentioned above) released at some point later.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  14. MorallySound

Yes, the 3-disc Limited Edition (along with the Limited Edition of The Church) will be exclusively available only from Ronin Flix when up for sale.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Will it also be available on diabolik? Ronin doesn’t ship to Canada (at least they didn’t the last time I tried to place an order).

~Matt

16. MorallySound

No clue, it's only been stated it'll be available at Ronin without mentioning anywhere else. And I've placed 3 orders in the last 2 months from Ronin (and a few over the last year since they've been open online) and I'm located in Canada... so they ship to Canada. It's Code Red's Big Cartel store that doesn't to ship to Canada.

Matt89 likes this.
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That’s awesome. For some reason I thought they didn’t ship to Canada, I’ve always waited for them to become available on diabolik. I wanna get Ghostkeeper, it’s on sale and when I selected international shipping it’s only like $2.50! Wow. Definitely gonna order through them.

How long does it usually take to get to you?

~Matt

18. MorallySound

The usual 6 to 10 business days.