Argento's 'Opera' in HD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paul_s, Jun 2, 2014.

1. roderick

roderick New Member

i can only post my opinion as someone who had never seen opera before.i got a copy of the standard edition last week and i thought it looked great and the audio was fine.i am quite happy with it and have no urge to upgrade personally.

2. acappa

acappa Member

I recently purchased the single disc. Couldn't hold out any longer for the 3-disc as I wanted to check this resto out.

Believe me when I say this is all a non-issue. Seriously... only the whiniest of whiners would take issue with these minor defects inherent in the negatives that Scorpion had to work with.

Now, I noticed the "jitter" when the camera pans the auditorium early in the film, but only because I read a bazillion times that it was a perceived issue. In no way did it affect my enjoyment of the film or the work that you and your team put in. I did not notice it anywhere else, nor do I have any clue what anyone is talking about when it comes to the echo in the soundtrack.

Whatever you decide to do with the deluxe edition, I plan to pick it up. Just don't let the trolls over at blu-ray.com wield too much influence over how you run your business...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    othervoice1 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sounded grumpy about the release. Seems like there was a LOT more work put into this, than I first thought.

Let's just hope you can keep the price at $49.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

$15 at Amazon. Had to bite on it.

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Understand! This has been several months of re-purchases for me. I have purchased quite a few Hearses, Don't Answer the Phones, ect. just to re-buy them on the latest Blu and try to sell off the older versions on DVD. I'm really behind on the new stuff I want (Apartment on the 13th Floor for one) because I've been buying movies I already had just to get the definitive versions possible. So when you have yet ANOTHER, different issue of a film you already have it can get difficult.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Glad to hear this is finally coming out. Also glad I didn't hold my breath and bought the standard release. I might still get this, but my buying and overall consumption habits have changed since this was announced way back, so I may just be happy enough with the single disc. Still one of my favorite Argento films.

8. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

So glad I waited for this :D Also worth noting that Walt went back and fixed the master that people were complaining with the first release.

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Didn't buy the regular edition because the deluxe edition was on the horizon but now that it appears to be close I wonder if I'll actually buy it because now I'm remembering the $50 - $65 price quote...

10. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Wasn't it announced as a possible Steelbook at the time? That might have accounted for the price range..

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I don't remember a steelbook being mentioned but I'm hoping you're right so it will be cheaper!

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This looks to be a truly wonderful release. I hope it's not crazy-limited and fairly accessible to purchase. I also hope it's without
    production flaws.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm down for this release. I've been curtailing on purchases over the past year but this was always penciled in as a must buy. And since I didn't splurge on the standard release I can splurge now on the deluxe. :D

I believe that discussion was that in order to afford image stabilization and all the other extra work being done the MSRP will need to be higher. And that like Synapse's recent releases, a Steelbook package can help buyers feel more like they're getting their money's worth. So NOT making it a Steelbook isn't going to make it cheaper. But if production costs are on the high side Scorpion may consider making it a Steelbook to help sell it has the premium package it would need to be sold as to be profitable. Since the listing's images are clearly plastic cases I rather doubt it will be a Steelbook.

Instead I anticipate this being a rather large "limited" edition for the simple fact that so much time and money went into it that it makes little sense to hold back and leave money on the table. I'm thinking it'll be a little more expensive than the other editions but should sell better so they'll make it up in bulk. I also suspect sales for the regular edition were better than Scorpion expected (given that a deluxe edition was announced at the same time) and that has helped balance the cost of this deluxe edition more than originally calculated (what almost a year ago?).

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

...and the price has now been revealed for the "Deluxe" edition = $49.99

I kind of figured it would be about $10 cheaper, but hopefully there will at least be a booklet included.

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

$49.95 was the figure he quoted about a year ago, so not too surprising. I'm just glad it's happening at all and turned out not to be $64.95 with the fixes.

16. Stige

Stige Active Member

Was any work done on the soundtrack? I'm thinking of the echo chamber effect that has been on the blurays I have and for some reason not on the DVD from anchorbay.

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

At fifty bucks, this actually NEEDS to be perfect in every respect, otherwise it's going to be a shitshow of complaints and Walt will never hear the end of it. I'm sure he's going to QC it to kingdom come. Also, personally, I have no problem throwing down good money for great work. My only caveat is the packaging. While the slip is a real beaut, I can't help to think how much better that artwork would look on a good, high-quality slip, steelbook or even mediabook. Vinegar Syndrome set the bar too high when it comes to slips so it'll be hard to top them but a similar-quality slip in the same material would be awesome. And maybe on future Deluxe editions, a CD soundtrack could be included?

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Ronin listing updated with extras!!!

"
    • DISC 1: Opera - 2.35:1 Super 35, 4 Audio Tracks: English 5.1, English Stereo, Italian Stereo with English Subtitles, and Cannes English, English Captions, Audio Commentary by Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson, Interviews with Director Dario Argento and Coralina Cataldi Tassoni, International Trailer

• DISC 2: Opera - 1.78:1, 4 Audio Tracks: English 5.1, English Stereo, Italian Stereo with English Subtitles, and Cannes English, English Captions, Audio Commentary by Film Historian Troy Howarth, Interviews with William McNamara, and Barbara Cupisti, Opera Music Video

• DISC 3: Opera - US Orion Pictures Cut, English Stereo Audio, Interviews with Composer Claudio Simonetti, Screenwriter Franco Ferrini, Special Effects Artist Sergio Stivaletti , Makeup Artist Franco Casagni, Inspector Urbano Barerini, Press Agent Enrico Lucherini, and Film Historian Fabrizio Spurio, Backstage: Behind the Scenes Footage, US Trailer"

sinister, Matt89 and Katatonia like this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I wonder which aspect ratio they'll use on that one.

Wow lots and lots of interviews. I'd imagine then that was ultimately the delay as these can endlessly delay a release if you let it. "Just one more interview..." ;)

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow shit this release looks amazing! Two aspect ratios? Love that shit haha. Two audio commentaries too?? I love Troy Howarth’s commentaries, they’re all so informative and well-researched.

~Matt