Argento's Sleepless?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DefJeff, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

There are two versions of the Artisan disc, theres the Uncut one, but my Best Buy has a R-Rated version also.

2. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

you must be kidding!?!?!?! so Artisan wasted TWO versions of this and couldn't do one of them LBX? what a dump of a company!

I'm SO glad I can play any region/ntsc/pal DVDs! anything to screw over the U.S. majors and support the companies that truly CARE about the movies they put out by releasing the best possible version they can; which just shows they CARE about the people that buy them!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2002
  3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Artisan used to be pretty good. Their Jacob's Ladder and Pi discs come to mind, but they definitely had something very bad happen to them. But yeah, theres R-Rated and Uncut. The Best Buy here only has the R-Rated one. I had the misfortune of seeing 30 minutes of the R-Rated video back when I worked at a video store, and it's cut so bad you really can't tell what is going on. They didn't even bother to try and make the cuts unnoticable.
    I couldn't even get through it. I did enjoy the hell out of the theme music though.

I don't know too much about making DVDs, but would it kill them to just release discs with R-Rated versions on one side and Uncut versions on the other? Or Widescreen/Fullscreen. MGM does it with most of their DVDs, I know it's possible.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2002
  4. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

After reading threads about Sleepless on this board for the past year, I'm gonna bite the bullet & order the Artisan disc (no region-free player for me). I've heard too many positive things about the film to ignore a shoddy pan & scan release (at least the OAR is 1.85/1, imagine if it was shot in 2.35/1 & pan & scanned,eeekk!)

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You donj't need region free - just PAL conversion - the UK release is region 0.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yes, but it's anamorphic, which most PAL converters don't do properly. Which is worse? A stretched picture or a trimmed picture? Tomato, tomahto. Sucks either way.

I think the thing with Artisan is that they've supposedly partnered up with Blockbuster, thus explaining the R-Rated/Uncut issue and the fullscreen thing too. Not making excuses, it's still a BAD decision, but I think that's why they did it.

Considering that many of my first viewings of Argento films (Opera, Inferno, Two Evil Eyes, Cat O Nine Tails, Stendhal Syndrome) were not proper OAR, it doesn't kill me to have to watch a pan-and-scan Sleepless. Hell, I'm still waiting on OAR versions of Stendhal and Two Evil Eyes. I gotta get me a good PAL converting player though, then I'm all over that UK copy

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Chris - are you sure they only have the R-rated cut? Cuz that's where I got my disc, and I'm 99% sure it's uncut.

8. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

that's why I use my computer DVD-ROM drive to watch PAL anamorphics. I just mirror the monitor image to my TV. perfecto!

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I guess it probably depends. My Best Buy only had the R-rated version, but I'm sure some have the Uncut version. Most of the time Best Buy has Uncut stuff with my experience, so I think it's maybe a mistake here. Either way I'm extra confused now, I just saw Artisan's Deep in the Woods DVD (suprisingly enjoyable movie actually) and it has both Widescreen and Fullscreen on it, so someone's just being lazy apparently. Or what Paff mentioned about Blockbuster, but they have they Unrated version of Y Tu Mama Tambien which has a scene with two guys jacking it, so I don't know.

10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

thanks for all the input

im probly gonna end up renting this one like Shannafey suggested

for some reason, i was thinking this wouldnt be available at Blockbuster

i havent been there forever, i have no idea what their selection is

11. My Blockbuster got it.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Just wanted to add something on that - not just because I love her book and her writing. Anyone can read a lot into film for a very simple reason: After a film is out in the theatres or in DVD it does not belong to the director anymore, but to it's viewers. Tom Holland says that THINNER is about redemption but I could not see that in the film. It works the other way around. Someone could see something that was not "planted" there by the director. That's why movies ARE fun!

13. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Paff, I know you have the Japanese LD of Stendhal Syndrome, are you saying that it's a full frame presentation? If so, you should pick up Troma's DVD release. It's framed at 1.66/1, or is Stendhal supposed to be framed in a different ratio???

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have both the Japanese LD and the Troma DVD. They're the exact same transfer.
    You'll see the boom mike in several shots, usually a dead giveaway that the transfer opened up too much.

15. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Wow, I've never noticed any boom shots before, but I'd rather have the transfer opened up too much rather than being cropped too much/pan & scan. Thanks for the scoop Paff.

16. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Sleepless

This is odd. I can't find one single reference to an R rated version of Artisan's release of Sleepless online. I have never seen one. I bought my copy at Best Buy, and they only had one version. It was unrated. As far as I know, there is only one version. Can you show a link to a source which will verify your statement?

17. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

There is two versions put out by Artisan. A cut version for some rental stores and an uncut version. It's just fact.

18. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Your response is not helpful. Evidence would be. Can you show a link to a site which verifies this? As I stated, I can't find one. It is not "just fact" simply because you say so.

19. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

OK dude, have it your way. :)

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Can't we all just get along?