"Army of Darkness - Bootleg Edition" dvd to be released???

Discussion in 'General' started by Funktion, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Funktion

Funktion Member

A dvd with the name "Army of Darkness - Bootleg Edition" is listed at every online store.
    An european store has a picture of the cover and it has a small Universal logo (no AB logo).

Is this a release by Universal?

What will this dvd feature?

2. huhuhuh, how many butts does she have?

3. ctyner

ctyner Member

There's a thread about the re-release at http://horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2672

It is an Anchor Bay release. Lifted shamelessly from DVD Talk:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2001
  4. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Well, at least Anchor Bay was nice enough to call it the "bootleg edition" so that they didn't have to remaster any of the picture or sound so it seems like just that... note sarcasm.

5. NMA

NMA New Member

People are talking about a 5.1 remastered sound, do you still think that is it really a "bootleg" edition?

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Woohoo, I'll have it.

Oh yeah, the Almost Famous 3-disc set is called the "Bootleg" cut, but who wants to bet it'll look and sound squeaky clean?

7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I have the director's cut DVD, and it's not 5.1, but 2.0... so that's why I made that comment. If Anchor Bay is actually taking the time to make a 5.1 track, then I think that's good, but also shitty for us owners of both the LE 2 disc, and the LE director's cut.

8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I'd just like to say Fuck Anchor Bay. I wish they would stop fucking fans about, and take all their limited editions and jam them up their asses. Tins, wooden boxes and all.

9. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

I have to agree with the last statement

AB are taking the piss. Stop re-releasing films that have had LE and for fucks sake release some new stuff, 1 fucking version would be nice. Sorry for the bad language but AB are starting to get to me a bit.

10. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Hey, how about STOPPING WITH ALL THESE FUCKING LIMITED EDITIONS!!!!! Fans of the films would not give a <b>FLYING FUCK</b> if the movies they were issued <b>FREE</b> to every human on the fucking planet. We just want the films. We don't give a shit about resale value as <b>WE DON'T FUCKING WELL PLAN ON RESELLING THEM</b>

11. keith70

keith70 Guest

They're probably planning on using the profits from the bootleg release to pay for the Opera replacements that they still haven't sent out yet.:rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

12. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

I still think that they should just do away with the LE idea and just release the movies so everyone could have the same thing. Features and all. There is no need to only let a select few get to see most of the spec. features while others can't. It wouldn't be hard just leave off the stamp with the #s on the back and up the production some. They can continue to release the best discs around but just have them availiable for everyone. :)

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Anchor Bay is great at releasing DVD's, there is no doubt about it. But they have to stop with this limited edition nonsense. At first it was an interesting idea, but all it does is hurt the fans and benefit the ebay sellers. If there is one thing I hate, it is buying the first feature loaded edition, only to have to shell out money yet again for another version a little ways down the road. I understand when you are re-releasing early DVD films, but when you are getting around to a 4th release of a film, you can't help but feel AB is just taking advantage of the fans.

I never plan on selling my discs and I doubt most fans will want to ever sell their discs, so I think everything would be better off if Anchor Bay just stuck to a single release of the film, and leave all these other conventions behind.

14. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

WTF

I read somewhere that the 2002 re-release of DJANGO is going to have improved picture quality, it seems Lustig and co decided the original release wasn't up to scratch and they now have a better source print. Does this mean I can return my old copy for a new one. If they were not happy with the original release why fucking release it, this really takes the piss, the bastards! :mad:

15. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Just giving my opinion here.

Some of the LE ideas (like the original AOD Dir Cut, an original release, being limited) were really absurd. People started to complain, and volah, Bootleg Edition. The Directors should've been a regular release long ago.

I can understand the mentality of having LE's. The only people that seem to buy these movies are cult fans, and cult fans like to collect stuff. AB thought this would be a way a pleasing the fans. If you own the Directors Cut, you won't buy the Bootleg Edition.

Still, 4 releases is too much, and the LE idea has become a double-edged sword. E-bay sellers are hitting pay dirt, earning a lot more than what the tins are worth.

I hope I got the most out of two cents. :)

16. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Great, it is good to see I am not alone in hating the limited editions status (even though I own all the ones I want, and don't intend selling them). It does not benefit ME, and it does not benefit FANS without the DVD. And how can it benefit Anchor Bay (unless the ebay sellars are somehow connected...)?

And to show you my heart is in the right place, I was actually sent a second copy of AoD 2 disc by mistake, and was able to keep it, so I sold it to a poorer friend who was a fan for U$15. I figured why the hell should I make a profit on it - I'd rather help a fellow fan.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Normally I'm an ardent supporter of Anchor Bay, even when they seriously goof, but this just goes too far. Fuck the LE's. I'm not buying any more of them.