Army of the Dead (2021) Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It was pretty good, but not as great as I had hoped.
    The opening 15 minutes, incl the opening credit sequence was great, but it quickly lost steam for a long time, after that.
    There are some cool action scenes in there, and the zombie tiger was pretty damn brutal. A few nods to Aliens in there as well.
    I just wish the side characters was more interesting though, as I can barely remember most of them now, except for the vault expert.

Worst part of the movie, was the annoying drama between the daughter and the father.
    I am so sick and tired of this cliché, and I wish most of it had ended up on the cutting floor.

Also, when they arrive at Vegas, they talked about the dried up corpses coming back to life, during rain. Which sounded pretty creepy. Sadly this was never used in the movie.
    I know it doesn't rain often in Vegas, but it could have been a great scene, if someone got lost from the group, ended up among a huge pile of dried corpses, and it starts to rain.

Maybe my expectations (thanks to his brilliant Dawn remake) was set a bit too high, and it might improve on the repeat viewings.
    At the moment, I'll give it a 3,5 out of 5.

It's still FAR better than 95% of the other zombie movies/shows, made in the last 15+ years.
    And I wouldn't mind a sequel.

Btw, check out the behind the scenes documentary on Netflix.
    We get a good look at the practical FX.

baggio and hots4 like this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Lot to say here:

So I watched this Saturday. It was "ok" but dropped the ball big time.

The opening, that title credit sequence..... errrr where the hell was all that forward? That's what I wanted to see, action like that. Sorry for the language, that but that was one big ****tease.

I have some questions and some comments. Full disclaimer, I forgot already all the names so please forgive and don't get offended by my quick descriptions of the characters:

So the black guy. um... yeah. So ... yeah... um... wasn't it forced down our throats that he was really cool character with a bad ass weapon. Don't touch that's mine!....Sooooooooooooo. Where was the use of such weapon? Holy Toledo did that suck. Yet again.. another ****tease.

The Latino gang member youtube/twitch sensation or whatever he was. Um... yeah..... He did nothing of why he was hired. He offered nothing. Here I'm waiting to see a cool triple shot or some awesome save to get out of jam, etc... Nope never came. Yet again. Another .. well you know. ****tease

The above guy's main squeeze or whatever you want to call her. "Miss I never killed a zombie before" Hands down the best fighter in the bunch. LOL Seriously?

The safe cracker. I was fine with his, 'humor" didn't bother me. If everybody else was doing their job as intended it would have meshed better imo.

The coyote. yeah, another "bad ass" How about NO. How about the whole point of a coyote is to lay low and slip in and out. Now she's a beast with the gun. Stop it already.

I liked Garret Dillahunt. You always need one of those in movies like this. I was actually rooting for him while he was doing his thing.

Batista's friend/partner/love interest. Another one that did nothing. Complete opposite of her Title sequence character.

The Tig Nataro situation. Didn't bother me. What I found funny is that picked a woman that acted like and doing an impression of Chis. LOL The whole time I was imagining Chris in that role.

If you are going to use "slow zombies" than just use slow. Fast, then just fast. Pick one. Sorry, I hated the whole organized zombie plot.

Here. I'll write a better movie in 2 seconds. Same setup, going to a vault, etc. Only Bastista crew of ex military (hears about the money during his military movements earlier... NOT gets offered a job) All TRADITIONAL SLOW ZOMBIES. Remove the fast, organized zombies, leader plot entirely. Remove all that "countdown" garbage. Now add there is another team, "bad guys" going for the same vault. (that's where an elite crew of crooks paid by a higher up) So you got that going on, slow zombies f'ning people up. Then, as the teams start getting knocked off by zombies.... they put difference aside, group together to open the vault. Why? because the crooks crew, that's their expertise..... Bastista, had no clue what was to be involved in opening the vault. They split the money and work together to get out among dire situation of zombie hordes. Many dying but helping each other out. Plenty of heroic moments by both crews. No backstabbing, no loners(tired of that crap).................... there's your movie. Plenty of non stop intense moments spread over 2+ hours. Enough time to give each crew a proper introduction. Now pay me.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Awesome. He was one of my favourite characters in the film. Looking forward to the anime too.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If he wasn’t German, I’d swear he was the son of Anthony Michael Hall.

hots4 likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really didn't understand why they had both the "smart" zombies and the regular zombies. I guess they had the whole thing about trying to get the head of the Queen out, but it didn't really go anywhere.

Honestly, the whole movie didn't go anywhere. When it was over, I was like... that's it? Ultimately, their whole mission
    didn't accomplish anything except getting them all killed except the self-centered daughter. Even the woman she went to rescue died. It took 2.5 hours for the characters to accomplish nothing.

7. maybrick

It isn’t much different than some vampire lore. You have the head vampire that can create vampires that retain their normal human intelligence, but if those vampires try to create vampires they are basically just mindless killing machines.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Also, just going by other zombie films. Wouldn't the zombies be attracted to right up against the wall? Considering all the 'activity" on the other side. It was like a ghost town.

Anyway. And what about that
    hibernating angle? I mean ok, that was different. But that's all there was of them? Where was the rest?

No kidding. And call me crazy but two things I noticed.

When they got into the helicopter. The mother, that's the last shot you see of her, climbing into the front seat. THEN , when the helicopter is doing that "dive". CGI yes, but there's nobody in the front seat next to the pilot. Only the pilot and the rest in the back. LOL. Then we see the mother again for the last time , looking out the window at the sky. Done. No body, no death scene. Daughter whose whole ENTIRE quest was to find the mother. Gave 2 cents. Nobody looked, no calling out. Zero.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes. I didn't have a problem with that guy.

Something else I forgot to mention about the film. During the crew assembly. The Latino guy brought two people. Then one of his buddies bailed out. He just left. It was strangely refreshing little scene. I'm not mad at it because it was semi funny , semi realistic. That's exactly what would happen. We are gonna do what? I'm out guys. Exit...lol.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I'm not one that requires overt explanation to every single detail in a movie, especially when their explanation removes the mystique and makes the original point lame. Alien's space jockey was perfectly fine with no explanation, as was Halloween's Meyers, etc.

For a fairly wordy 2 & 1/2 hour movie this thing was overwhelmed with out of left field points and sub-plots with zero explanation that were dropped or ignored as soon as they were introduced. Duplicate corpses and time paradoxes? Seemingly important characters disappearing?
    Robot zombies? Zombie babies?

I wanted to like it more but the shit characters and dangling plot kept me from it. Too many ideas were crammed into too short of a run time. It was like I had just watched the first two episodes of a seasonal TV show with zero closure to all the ideas it introduced.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Army of the Dead suffered from an absolutely terrible script and characters that were so bad I was routing for the zombies to win. I haven't seen Snyder's cut of Justice League but I hope the dialog and characters are better in that. Bautista's daughter was an absolutely ridiculous caricature of a person. Did anyone else find it strange that she risked her life to save a woman (because she had two kids) and then after the character is saved she simply disappears from the script. Also, if all the zombies were restricted to Las Vegas why didn't they get rid of them earlier? Certainly it shouldn't have taken a nuclear strike to clear the city. Maybe I've just seen too many zombie films but I felt like this one didn't add a thing to the genre.

baggio likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Exactly. Why the need to nuke? Look at what just a small group of people did. Now imagine a small army.

13. maybrick

Highly infectious nightmare disease that spreads quickly? The only question is why they didn’t do it sooner. A small army is just a bunch of disease vectors that could potentially allow the contagion to spread either accidentally or maliciously. Why did Ripley feel the need to nuke the planet at the end of Aliens? It was the only way to be sure.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Earth has a variety of infectious nightmare diseases. Is nuking the entire planet an option. :D

15. maybrick

Las Vegas isn’t a planet. An no, we don’t have unstoppable xenomorphs or zombies to deal with.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Cool vid that helps explain some of the weirder moments. I love this kind of stuff.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I stopped at SPOILERS but eh... Don't think I'm going to watch it. These guys can be kinda picky about camera work, but it sounds like it's shot the same way as the post-scene in Justice League with loose focus which was barely watchable. I don't know that I could watch over two hours of that.

Kinda funny though. So, they used a camera with some dead pixels? Well that's a li'l embarrassing...

18. Zombie Dude

I honestly don't think that nonsense is as bad as people are making out, and I didn't particularly love the way the end scene of JL was shot.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Army of Thieves teaser.

I see nothing horror related in the teaser. But there it is.

20. Zombie Dude

Spin-off looks good. Looking forward to checking it out. I need to watch Zack's movie with my wife who hasn't seen it yet.