Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I liked Premonition quite a bit. It's slow and arty, but good. Haven't revisited Witch Who Came From the Sea yet but that is more a revenge-y exploitation thing. Not really my thing.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Absolutely recommended personally. But I think average horror fans expectations of the films in the set, who haven't seen them previously and/or aren't familiar with Stephen Thrower's excellent cinema resource Nightmare USA - which this set is associated with/spin off of - are expecting films along the lines of Friday the 13th, etc. when these are much more outsider American independent/underground/exploitation/horror cinema than the easily digestible low budget drive-in fare that was cashing in on the formula's of the time's successful horror films so they are overall a lot more subversive, weird, and different than your run-of-the-mill horror outings. And with Stephen Thrower's input/participation on all these as far as special features go this set is absolutely a must-have. I absolutely love The Witch who Came from the Sea and get something new out of that movie every time I watch it. Malatesta's Carnival of Blood is a truly underground funhouse horror film that's got creativity and weirdness to spare despite it's extremely low budget. The Premonition is the only one in the set that I don't love but it's still a good movie just a little more dry and dramatic, but features one of Richard Lynch's best performances.

satans-sadists, Matt89 and CPT HOOK like this.
  3. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I haven't seen Witch (missed out on the Cinema Epoch DVD) or Malatesta's Carnival yet, but I picked up a used copy of the Premonition DVD a few years back and loved it. Thrower's book is something I have no qualms about labeling 'essential', and his writing absolutely influenced me to seek out certain films. I plan to grab a copy of the AHP as soon as our tax returns come in...I've waited long enough!

Matt89 and Angelman like this.
  4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Might have to pick this set up then. I’m also on the fence about the Romero set. I like The Crazies and his zombie stuff, but haven’t seen Season of the Witch or There’s Always Vanilla (I’m aware the latter is not horror).

Btw, looks like the US LE of Cat O’ Nine Tails has been pushed back again, this time to March 6. That’s what, the 5th delay? What is going on?

~Matt

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Another excellent box set for fans of cinema in general. I love Season of the Witch, and it's a great, unnerving character study. Although it has horror elements (the main character takes up witchcraft as a means of turning her perceived drab life and relationship problems around) it's also not really a horror film in the general term, and it's "horror" more so deals with that of rejection, love, and sexual politics. It's a fascinatingly complex film and one of Romero's most overlooked. There's Always Vanilla is definitely unique and a time-capsule of Romero's early Latent Image work and shows his strengths as a director, but is ultimately a curiosity piece rather than a good movie.

Matt89 and Angelman like this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

7. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

The Arrow Phantasm box set is $62 shipped on Amazon.UK right now. Pretty sweet deal. I own it. Love it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

9. zbinks

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14712646&postcount=28

buck135 likes this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And... it's already a shit show on Blu-ray.com. :rolleyes:

That Arrow is doing the restoration from the ground up is interesting. Makes me wonder how far along Cinespectral really was. Not really worth dwelling on though. They gave the money back. Time to move on.

I just hope Arrow knows what they're getting into. And by doing so many early teasers on Elvira I kinda doubt it... o_O

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I would be willing to bet Cinespectral never had a finished product to begin with. Maybe the extras, stuff like that. But the actual film restored on Blu, I highly doubt it. Been following this story from the beginning. Reading all the info at blu-ray.com,. They(CS) said it came down to a media book printing problem, and that the discs were done. Don't buy it for a second. If that was the case, why didn't they release it without a media book packaging. Because they probably didn't have the discs to fill the cases. Funny how HCTFT never worked out either. (their first "completed" project, before Elvira even existed)

BTW, if it's 100% true and Arrow is releasing Elvira. I have to trust them that they will deliver. Arrow's track record so far deserves my trust. Or if this was Vinegar Syndrome with the news, I would bet the house.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Buechlers_beard likes this.
  12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

You should see the complaints about the 4k UHD announcement of Grease. People are complaining about the fact that they have plain blue disc art with only the title (the same design as Paramount has always had). Seriously? You’re complaining about DISC ART? You have to be fucking kidding me. I’ll admit the 4K cover looks stupid, and I can totally understand people wanting original poster art on the covers for these releases. But to complain about the design of the actual disc itself? Come on. That’s fucking crazy. I called someone out on that and they acted like I was the crazy one. Okay bro...

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Angelman

All that drama over Elvira? Some of the guys over there need to go take a walk outside and cool off.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

They need to get a fucking life, from my understanding it's getting released? Yes? So what the hell is the problem!

15. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/DiabolikDVD/posts/10156223722608530

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  16. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  17. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

That's great for fans as I'm sure Arrow will do a great job with it, but I found the movie to be way too much of a bummer to watch more than once personally. I've softened up a lot lately on more extreme/rapey stuff, I can't really watch that kind of stuff anymore for some reason.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Anyone got or is getting Basket Case?

20. Angelman

It's here, have not watched yet - going to the Hennelotter retrospective (Basket Case/Brain Damage/Frankenhooker) at the Egyptian - then will rewatch.

Myron Breck and fceurich39 like this.