Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I own several Arrow releases both domestic and import and I agree they do a stellar job. Vinegar Syndrome for example also does a great job with their discs yet they don't have a $40.00 list price. Severin has also put out some really nice blu-rays recently that were limited editions and those didn't have as high a list either. My point is it is becoming more difficult for the average buyer to pick up movies with the rising price increases.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm willing to spend $25 on a film I know I love, but I'm hesitant to blind buy. Hopefully their strategy works because I like the quality of their releases.

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought maybe that was a factor. Still super steep. I hate to think what these new Ultra HD discs are going to cost when they hit the market.

5. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I think Ultra HD discs are going to be a total disaster, and will cost $100 if they are released they'll be confined to laserdisc status, hell even blu ray are sort of niche still even, I buy them and so do many people, but most of the people I know in real life, do not even have a blu ray player, in fact only 1 person I know in real life has a blu ray player. Everyone else has a DVD player only, and when I tell them about how blu ray is better, they don't even care. I think most people are not tech junkies, and only want to see a movie. I like HD, but even I don't care about 4K, because I read a study by scientist saying the average human will not be able to tell a difference between 1080P and 4K, that pretty much says it all for me. Why spend all that money on something I'm not even going to be able to notice. I think it's all just a marketing gimmick. Kind of like how betamax was better than VHS, I have seen both betamax and vhs, they are totally the exact same, they both looked like shit, no difference between them at all.

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I had both a Beta and a VHS machine and Beta was better by far.

As far as Ultra HD is concerned, it will fail. Blu is not even that big. It will look better, but for what kind of movies? Satan's Blade? Hardly.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Vinegar is the exception to my rule - great transfers, great presentation, low price. I like Severin a lot, but not sure they are in the same class as Arrow. And Severin's initial MSRPs on those last Franco Blus were not low… (I did buy both of course).

Agree. I will say this: Their releases have been carefully curated and smartly presented. Blood and Black Lace looks STUNNING. I want to watch it EVERY night. Commentary is out of this world, etc. It's like having the history of the film in a pretty little box. Their releases are consistent and a mix of classics needing attention and obscure stuff fans have been clamoring for. I'd rather drop $25 on something with high re-watch value and an extended "experience" (great docs, commentaries) than $15 on something I watch once and trade away or sell after I realize I will never go back to it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think Synapse would be a better comparison. I'm still blown away by their Curtains and Prom Night discs, and the fact that they were able to sell them so cheap (I think they were like $12 - $13 each). An incredible bargain for two essential releases. I'd say the quality of their discs is closest to Arrow. However, Arrow has them beat in the packaging department.

Vinegar Syndome does a great job with transfers, but a lot of their earlier discs felt kind of... cheap? Not complaining, their discs are super affordable and I've been very happy with their stuff, but a lot of their releases have DVD style menus and the extras aren't even included on the blu-ray disc. They definitely stepped up their game with Madman, their best release by far, and I like that they offer blu-ray / DVD combo packs at such a low price (same price as Synapse).

9. Angelman

Love Synapse, but Synapse is not exactly releasing 3 quality discs every month, either. What amazes me about Arrow is not just the quality of the releases, but the consistency and amount. There is a price tag attached to getting things done well and quickly.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

But how do you know you'd re-watch it when you've never seen it before. I paid $75 for NIGHTBREED and will never watch it again. People were pissing themselves over that announcement. I hated it. That purchase (and DEMONS) has left an awful taste in my mouth that has caused me to think hard about any blind buy over $20. It's why I'm waiting on SOCIETY.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Bottom line: when prices are higher less copies are going to sell.

12. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

You can watch Society on You Tube.

13. Angelman

Well, to date, most of the Arrow titles are ones I've seen and love. Blood and Black Lace, Mark of the Devil, Mutilator, Contamination. And I love all of those.

I love Nightbreed but haven't bought that set because $75 is too steep. I'm beginning to trust that Arrow, like I often do Criterion, will deliver something special in a title that makes me less worried about blind buys. That's me. You give me something that is special and I don't mind paying more and the way they have branded themselves makes it easier for me to trust them.

Not necessarily. It depends on the title, the distribution, the reach of advertising. Plus if you charge $25 and still sell a reasonable amount your profit margin may be the same as the title that sells for less but sells a little more units. Difference is the higher priced one, theoretically, can maintain a certain level of quality.

14. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I don't see why people complain about $25 for a great blu ray release I was paying that for VHS back in the early 90's if I remember correctly. And look how much better the package of an Arrow blu ray is compared to some bare bones VHS crap from 1990. Now I will say I would NOT pay $75 for a blu ray like that Nightbreed blu ray, that's over the limit, and I think it's just fucking the fans out of money when companies charge that. And I for one am not going to let them rip me off like that EVER, but If people want to buy it I say go ahead I personally though am not going to buy at that price point. But yeah Arrow is doing it right with their recent releases, I love their stuff, they are showing American companies how they should be doing it. I've been enjoying Arrow releases for many years because of my region free blu ray player, but I'm glad they started releasing directly into America so everyone can enjoy their releases now.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Good lord! I hope no one actually paid that. I preordered it from Amazon and it ran me about $50 when it shipped. Still a bit pricey, but it was a limited set and I wanted both cuts so I bit. Arrow's been doing right by their fans, though. That giant ass limited Society set only cost me like $24. Worth every penny.

16. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

This is where I ordered my Society blu ray and yes they have a few left. Use the code June1515h to get 15% off your order. Keep in mind you will have to register an account. The check out process where you insert the code is also kind of glitchy. Shipping is free via media mail for your info, last chance folks. :nervous: You can pay via pay pal should you wish too.

http://www.amoeba.com/society-blu/movies/dvd-and-bluray/464675/

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Angelman

20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

In the past two weeks I've received a healthy mix of Kino, Olive, Code Red, Shout Factory and Arrow titles. The quality of the Arrow releases greatly stands out amongst the others. The quality and heft of the materials immediately makes you feel like you have something substantial in your hands. I'm so glad I chose to pay more for Arrow's COFFY as it's quite nice. Even the cases they use are better. I'm starting to feel like I should hold off on Kino's blaxsploitation BD's. I don't want to be tempted to double-dip if Arrow UK puts those titles out later.

I'm gonna try not to bitch about Arrow's prices. They put enough effort into their stuff that its well worth the extra $$.

THE RUNAWAY TRAIN is a very impressive package.