Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I thought the same thing when I went region-free a few years ago, I mainly just wanted a few from Arrow but now I own many from around the world. It's nice to see a movie you want to buy and not have to worry about region coding especially since there are so many cool releases I would've missed out on that are better than their American counterparts.

I went with the OPPO bdp-103 when I got my player which is certainly expensive but well worth it for the quality and years of enjoyment and I just use my regular Sony player for my region-A movies so I don't have to switch the region back and forth.
    I also just recently bought an OPPO bdp-203 4k player before they went out of business to play my 4k movies on, It's nice to have options :D

russweiss likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It’s still one step more than I want it to be. And to be honest I don’t need the temptation. There is already more than enough movies I could buy in my own region if I was willing to spend the money. My rabid movie collecting days are well past me. It’s amazing how much smaller my blu ray collection that I started 9 years ago is compared to the collection I amassed the 9 years before that.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. maybrick

lol. I just discovered that the Sherwood blu ray player that I bought way back in 2011 is in fact fully all region! When I got it, I read that the newest firmware deactivated the all region blu capability so I wrongly assumed that it had it already installed and never had a way to test it out. It still played UK DVDs so I was fine with that. I haven’t used it for years other than as a CD player but I decided to give it a shot. Bought a used copy of Arrow’s Count Yorga collection today at Bull Moose for $10. It works! Now I just need to get an hdmi switch box so I don’t have to keep unplugging my PS4.

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Happy days.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I found the 2 disc LE Chud bluray used this last weekend for $15. Pretty sweet find considering it appears to be OOP.

Workshed and fceurich39 like this.
  9. maybrick

I ordered Arrow’s UK blus of Baron Blood, Black Sunday, Dr. Phibes and Theater of Blood today. Been wanting these for a while but the domestic releases for some reason never beckoned to me.

wago70 likes this.
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I hear you. I finally got a multi region Blu player (an LG about the size of a book) and ordered the Arrow steelbook of Pit and the Pendulum.

11. maybrick

Those are also on my short list. I never wanted the Vincent Price Collection when it was released here because my OCD prefers my movies in either alphabetical or chronological order and the movies in the sets seemed a bit too randomly placed. And anyways not all of those films are worthy enough to upgrade in my opinion. I’d rather spend a little extra to get a presentation that gives the feature its full attention and appreciation rather than lumping it in with a bunch of other stuff for budgetary reasons.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh that Black Sunday disc from Arrow is great. I got it shortly after it came out, it’s much better than the Kino (as are most of their Bava discs - the Arrow editions are superior releases). They did a good job with Black Sabbath as well.

~Matt

13. maybrick

Yeah, that’s the sense I got from Kill Baby Kill. I bought the Kino then learned that Arrow’s wasn’t region locked to I sold back my Kino to Bull Moose for a good price and bought that. Definitely an improvement.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah that was a smart move lol. The Arrow edition is really nice, they colour-corrected the transfer and the colours appear way more lush and natural, whereas the Kino has a weird green tint to everything. It's also just a better encode all around.

The only Kino release which is superior to Arrow is Bay of Blood. Kino used a really nice restoration and the one used on the Arrow (it was one of their first blu-ray releases) was from a dated master and it shows. The Kino is way more lush and the Arrow has horrible black levels and looks completely washed out.

~Matt

15. maybrick

I remember reading their early reviews back in the day and thankfully they turned themselves around. Hopefully they’ll do updated reissue for all of their early releases soon.

Edit: Just checked Bull Moose’s website and it looks like they have the Kino Bay of Blood used at the local store. Funny how I didn’t notice that the last time I was in.

Matt89 likes this.
  16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd snatch that copy if I were you!

God I love Bava lol.

And Arrow has gone back and re-done some of their earlier titles (Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Cat o' Nine Tails, Deep Red, City of the Living Dead, Phenomena) but there are some residual titles with awful transfers (House By the Cemetery and Inferno) that hopefully they'll get around to restoring sometime soon.

~Matt

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Great info, THANKS!

18. maybrick

I picked it up today. While I was there I let the manager know that he should put a note on a used copy of Arrow’s The Stuff that it was region B. It was priced at $1 over the cost of the region A copy new. I bartered him down to $10 from $30. Still didn’t grab it. :lol: Maybe next time.

19. maybrick

I'm still debating upon whether I'm going to go down to Bull Moose tomorrow to trade in my Severin disc of Horror Express and pick up the new one while it is still on sale for $24.

Edit: Decided what the hell. Went down to Bull Moose right when it opened and sold off my Severin copy for $7.75 in store credit which brought the Arrow down to $16.22.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost